Is it "whats best forum" , or what's more expensive

How much did all of those upgrades cost? In a way it seems kind of funny when you think about the technology behind the CD player. Some might say technology-wise that all of those improvements would be equivalent to *improving* a Ferrari by modifying the engine to start with a hand crank from a Model T.

It is not a CDP. The 105 is much more. It has a usb dac for my MacBook Pro, headphone amp, and plays all discs from blu-ray to cd. Also plays Netflix, Vudu, etc..

So how much did the upgrades cost?

Ferrari, are you playing the Blu Rays in your two channel system? If so, you should get an Oppo 93 and Vanity93 digi out board. This will allow you to get Blu Ray inot your audio note dac over coax, without any downsampling. The board will convert SACD to 176/24 LPCM (or 88/24 if you want). This will sound infinitely better than using the Oppo analog outs for high rez material.

Hi Erik,

Thanks for that observation. Haha...I just returned my Oppo 93 to Best Buy for an Oppo 95 -- will the Vanity93 be compatible with it :confused:
This sounds, LOL, like a preferable way to experience Blu-ray concerts :)

Hi Lloyd,

Wow -- thanks for your observations! I was thinking I could consolidate the CD transport / DAC tandem with the universal player...or perhaps, use an external DAC -- AN, for example -- with the Oppo. :confused:

Got a lot of audio stuff going on at the moment. I've been learning to use the Tek 576 Curve Tracer to characterize, e.g., balance triode sections and match, tubes. I'm wondering if there is some way I can apply an Audio Precision P1DD to evaluate individual tube distortion behavior? It would be FABULOUS to have well-characterized low distortion tubes ;) at one's disposal. :p

Hi C1...are you going to compare oppo 95 as transport to your Esoteric P0? i have an unmodified Oppo95 and compared it directly as a transport into my Zanden DAC...with an Audio Aero La Source...but using the La Source only for its Esoteric Transport via digital out. No contest in my opinion. In fact, my Upgrade audio Oppo 83 beat the Oppo 95 digital out to digital out. my old oppo 83 no longer plays video...only reads CD layers. So i was naturally disappointed the new Oppo 95 would not allow me to completely retire the old 83...thus, i have to play movies on 95 and music on 83...until i can get SOTA transport for music and then retire the 83 to 'emergency back up duties'.

Specifically? the 95 digital out came across as harder, stiffer and generally just cruder than the 83 modded...and i could tell so easily, my heart sank because i really really wanted the 95 to be better. i wanted to just put the 83 in the closet for emergency backup, and i cannot now. so truly my expectation bias was actually in favor of the 95...and i cannot tell you how many times i was hoping i could not tell the difference at least...but each time i could. after 2 hours i just gave up, and have both in my system.

and the Audio Aero La Source was again another 2 notches up over the modd'd 83...but surprisingly the Audio Aero dealer who was listening on my couch next to me...admitted he was shocked by how good the little modd'd oppo was. I think he was actually a little embarassed, because then he took out Stillpoint Ultras to put under the La Source to get it up 2 further notches beyond the Oppo 83 (the Stillpoints did not improve the Oppo much at all, else i was tempted to get them. have since read that stillpoints work better with real weight on top...oppo is liteweight and the La Source weighs 30lbs...perhaps thats why? no idea.)

I really look forward to your own thoughts on 95 vs your legendary transport.

I'd say you have "The Full Monty" platform ;)
Congrats! :)

Sorry for OT, but my Oppo 105 sounds different than a standard 95.
My tube mod includes:

Total redesign and replacement of single-ended and fully balanced output stage with ModWright tube analog stage (6SN7 driver tubes).
External PS (new design) with one rectifier (5AR4, GZ34, 5U4, 5V4 and equivalents) and two voltage regulator tubes (13EM7, 12EM7 and suitable subs.)
'Truth' umbilical cord.
Upgraded Cardas GRFA series RCA's for stereo outs.
Upgraded Furutech cryo-treated IEC.
Highest Quality resistors in key signal path applications.
All signal wire = 99.9999% pure, cryo-treated solid-core silver wire from Cardas metals.
Upgrades to internal stock power supplies
Damping mods for chassis and transport.

Hi Erik,

Thanks for that observation. Haha...I just returned my Oppo 93 to Best Buy for an Oppo 95 -- will the Vanity93 be compatible with it :confused:
This sounds, LOL, like a preferable way to experience Blu-ray concerts :)

The board will only work with the Oppo 93. The board shines with SACD if you spin disc. It will convert at 176/24 using proprietary algoritm and reclocks the signal. On BR it will also be a lot better going coax out into a reference DAC than using the internal D/A conversion of the Oppo.

The board will only work with the Oppo 93. The board shines with SACD if you spin disc. It will convert at 176/24 using proprietary algoritm and reclocks the signal. On BR it will also be a lot better going coax out into a reference DAC than using the internal D/A conversion of the Oppo.

The ESS 32 bit Sabra DACs are pretty good in the Oppo. But, I can understand the need for an outboard DAC.

The ESS 32 bit Sabra DACs are pretty good in the Oppo. But, I can understand the need for an outboard DAC.

Very fine dacs no doubt, but if his profile is still correct Ferrari owns an audio note 4.1, which should be no contest. My thinking is if you own a high grade dac anyway, and there is a way to use it for high Rez sources, you might as well.

Very fine dacs no doubt, but if his profile is still correct Ferrari owns an audio note 4.1, which should be no contest. My thinking is if you own a high grade dac anyway, and there is a way to use it for high Rez sources, you might as well.

+1. But I think with the ModWright mods, it would be a contest.;)

Indeed. Well, I'll give the Oppo 95 digital out --> AN DAC digital in an audition.
Thanks.

I am always sceptical of a piece of giant killer gear being competitive with something costing 10x and have not personally experienced it, but its conceivable....

I know what you mean, you should have seen the expression on my face :) when the hi-powered technics receiver i had sitting in the corner for years sounded as good as my ML9 many(25YRS) moons ago , haven't felt the same way about Levinson products since ..

Hey it happens ...:)

I am always sceptical of a piece of giant killer gear being competitive with something costing 10x and have not personally experienced it, but its conceivable....

It blows away my $18K GNSC Wadia S7i.

I know what you mean, you should have seen the expression on my face :) when the hi-powered technics receiver i had sitting in the corner for years sounded as good as my ML9 many(25YRS) moons ago , haven't felt the same way about Levinson products since ..

Hey it happens ...:)

And it is a psychological conundrum. Aren't new and improved and more expensive gear HAVE to sound better?;)

Hi Lloyd,

Wow -- thanks for your observations! I was thinking I could consolidate the CD transport / DAC tandem with the universal player...or perhaps, use an external DAC -- AN, for example -- with the Oppo. :confused:

Got a lot of audio stuff going on at the moment. I've been learning to use the Tek 576 Curve Tracer to characterize, e.g., balance triode sections and match, tubes. I'm wondering if there is some way I can apply an Audio Precision P1DD to evaluate individual tube distortion behavior? It would be FABULOUS to have well-characterized low distortion tubes ;) at one's disposal. :p

Look forward to your observations!

My 49er's are losing, so I switched to my music. I will say after a few days warm up my ModWright tubed Oppo 105 is the best source I have ever heard. This is not a commercial, and I apologetically don't care what you think, but I am flat board, hit me it the head ,floored by this ModWright mod. I kid you not, and but my reputation (for all it's worth) on the line. Of course, system dependent.;p

My 49er's are losing, so I switched to my music. I will say after a few days warm up my ModWright tubed Oppo 105 is the best source I have ever heard. This is not a commercial, and I apologetically don't care what you think, but I am flat board, hit me it the head ,floored by this ModWright mod. I kid you not, and but my reputation (for all it's worth) on the line. Of course, system dependent.;p

Congratulations Jim!

My full ModWright Sony 5400 is awesome and I plan on getting the Oppo 105 as well. I was made aware that the external power supply has since been upgraded after I got my setup last year further enhancing the sound. Dan does great work. Have no fear, you reputation will still be in tact.

Does the Oppo use a Sabre? Sabres with good transports and first class analog output stages are a potent combination.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu