Is it "whats best forum" , or what's more expensive

I meant let's get real about its appeal to ANYTHING but a tiny group of aficionados. DSD ready
DACs are cool, but most people don't even know what a PCM DAC is outside of this hobby.

The fact is 95% of the worlds music will bypass DSD.

You know well from working with HDTracks that Warner Bros archive a huge chunk of their tapes in 192/24 PCM.

All I am saying is let's not put some false spin DSD in the greater scheme of things.

In a perfect word..ALL the great mastertapes of the 20th century would be archived to DSD!

To me, the music is more important. I want the best sound, but 5 DSD recordings don't do it for me, compared to so many more 24/192 PCM recordings. I go where the water flows more easily.

To me, the music is more important. I want the best sound, but 5 DSD recordings don't do it for me, compared to so many more 24/192 PCM recordings. I go where the water flows more easily.

Well I guess I'm spoiled with 12TB of DSD files!

Ok. And just how many are commercially available?

And just how many do you have any interest in musically?:D

More to the point. How many of the Top 100 rock albums are available as DSD downloads (zero). How many of the Top 100 Jazz albums (zero). I would not be surpised of the answer for top 1000 was the same (zero).

Next question, how many of these albums are slated for release as DSD downloads in the near future (just the basic stuff - "Kind of Blue", "Time Out", Beatles in DSD mastered from the analog tapes).

I honestly don't know. If the answer is also zero, I don't see this bright future for DSD.

More to the point. How many of the Top 100 rock albums are available as DSD downloads (zero). How many of the Top 100 Jazz albums (zero). I would not be surpised of the answer for top 1000 was the same (zero).

Next question, how many of these albums are slated for release as DSD downloads in the near future (just the basic stuff - "Kind of Blue", "Time Out", Beatles in DSD mastered from the analog tapes).

I honestly don't know. If the answer is also zero, I don't see this bright future for DSD.

Good point. That is not to say ONE DAY these may be available as full DSD downloads...

Good point. That is not to say ONE DAY these may be available as full DSD downloads...

I hope it happens, preferably in multi channel. Some of the files are already there in DSD (Tommy, Machine Head, Kind of Blue). I never bothered to rip my MCH DSD files. If this stiff becomes readily available as downloads, I'll ditch my disc spinner, and build an HTPC with MCH digital out card, and rip my Concert Blu Rays as well. I'm just not holding my breath.

And when they are, more power to them. I am all for the ultimate sq., but to be real, I am all for making the most available music the best possible. Heck, even MOG sound great on my system to me.

if you simply look over all the Jazz SACD's Chad has done at Acoustic Sounds, and all the SHM pop/rock SACD's you will find that a good portion of any list you might find are already in dsd. these can be ripped, and likely have already been ripped.

it's out there if you want it right the hell now.

if you simply look over all the Jazz SACD's Chad has done at Acoustic Sounds, and all the SHM pop/rock SACD's you will find that a good portion of any list you might find are already in dsd. these can be ripped, and likely have already been ripped.

it's out there if you want it right the hell now.

Yes. And how many of those Japanese SHM SACD and Mobile Fidelitys were created from PCM masters....hmmmmm..

A bunch.

I'm not sure what to make of some of the descriptions.

I can tell you there NEVER was a DSD sampling of the original Quadrophenia master tape
according to Pete Townshend.

And how about this bit of nonsense for Exile On Main St.

"Uses the 2011 DSD master based on UK original analog tape (subject to change)." Gimme a break.

And I have it very good word that the ones that actually ARE true DSD are from production copies.

Don't get me wrong..there are some that are definitely legit.

I'm not sure what to make of some of the descriptions.

I can tell you there NEVER was a DSD sampling of the original Quadrophenia master tape
according to Pete Townshend.

"DSD Transfered from analogue master tapes by Jon Astley at Close To The Edge Mastering - Twickenham Middx London"

Yes, I'm guessing a lot of the SHM-SACDs are from master tapes, though obviously not 1st gen. tapes...
Some of them even have noticeable tape hiss.

alexandre

You get a master or second generation tape and make a PCM or DSD copy and listen for the fidelity to the original tape.

Unfortunately an option available only to a very select few.

However, since the select few do actually participate in this forum, perhaps it would be a great way to probe this matter further say in the next RMAF. It could be part of the official seminar but better an informal one held with the cooperation of an exhibitor after hours.

Take a master tape track each (generously provided by some members) from say large scale classical, rock and jazz and make a copy each of RBCD, 24/192, 32/384, DSD, DSDx2 and whatever formats thats agreed upon. Use a DAC capable of playing all formats and DACs that will play each format best. For example, we could use the Playback as the control DAC and various other dacs such as Opus's dac for RBCD and etc etc.

Take a run through the control dac first and see which format is better. Then to give each format the best shot, use whichever dac that show the format best and do a second run.

Would this be something people would be interested to see happen? Or am I smoking some funny stuff:p

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing