Koetsu

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
And with a diamond cantilever no less. That Coralstone must sound exquisite.
Indeed it does, Rick. I honestly cannot find any fault in it playing my favorite albums. It's just pure musical bliss.

Reactions: RickS and Johan K

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The Coralstone is now retired.

Screenshot_20230110-184112_Chrome.jpg

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Mostly Koetsu lovers will not end up with just one Koetsu ;-)
Good observation. This Blue Lace Diamond belongs to the same person who has the Coralstone Diamond I posted above. It's still NIB, since 2006.

2.1.jpg 3.1.jpg 100_2703.JPG

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Reactions: jadis

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Why retired? I could order it without problem,
That info is based on Koetsu USA's website.

I haven't checked with my regional distributor yet if we can still order the Jade and Coralstone but perhaps there are some old stocks to sell. I first got that news from 'shakti' on post #798, that the Coralstone is no longer available.

Reactions: audioblazer

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Why retired? I could order it without problem,
than do ;-)

I tried, but the German distributor had no Coralstone on stock,
and info from Koetsu Japan was, that Coralstone is not longer in production,
so I went for Tigereye.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
That info is based on Koetsu USA's website.

I haven't checked with my regional distributor yet if we can still order the Jade and Coralstone but perhaps there are some old stocks to sell. I first got that news from 'shakti' on post #798, that the Coralstone is no longer availabl
than do ;-)

I tried, but the German distributor had no Coralstone on stock,
and info from Koetsu Japan was, that Coralstone is not longer in production,
so I went for Tigereye.
my friend just ordered 1 Coralstone diamond & I ordered the blue lace Diamond 2 days ago . probably will take about 1 month for delivery

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
my friend just ordered 1 Coralstone diamond & I ordered the blue lace Diamond 2 days ago . probably will take about 1 month for delivery
Thank you for the update, I just asked the German Koetsu distributor about the availability of Coralstone.
Would be great, if this beauty becomes available again.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Thank you for the update, I just asked the German Koetsu distributor about the availability of Coralstone.
Would be great, if this beauty becomes available again.
That was fast, Sugano San answered, that he cannot produce any new Coralstone,
as no new Corals are on stock or will become available

But some distributors and dealer do still have stock of Coralstone carts,
others send in old coralstone bodies to get a rebuilt with new parts.

So some incoming customers orders can still be served.

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
My dealer told me that the stone has become unavailable due to some kind of ban on mining. I regretted not going for it.

• Sad

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My friend who has the Coralstone Diamond bought a raw Coralstone the same year he bought the cartridge, way back in 2006. He then went on a stone collecting binge.

1coraljoined (1).jpg

1coraljoined.jpg

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My friend also bought a raw Blue Lace stone and a raw Tiger Eye. Talk about love for the product line. :D

1coralblue.JPG 1coraltiger.JPG

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Reactions: jadis and Johan K

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
  • Haha
Reactions: joeling and Johan K

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Looking at these raw stones again suddenly made me recall a private conversation I had with a British guy I met at an internet group. He asked me if I can channel his request to my regional Koetsu distributor and ultimately to Sugano san in Japan about his wish for his ultimate stone body Koetsu.

He told me when you was younger he was in Aswan, Eqypt for a while and worked in a quarry where they made obelisks. He was able to bring back a small piece of rose-pink granite from an unfinished obelisk. He wanted to know if Sugano san would make a Koetsu out of it, with platinum magnet and diamond cantilever.

My distributor told me has had this kind of discussion with Sugano san long ago as he himself would like to have a specially made Koetsu from granite. The answer then was negative, due to sound quality reasons and he told me in all probability the answer would still be 'no'. After a few days he came back to me and indeed confirmed that Koetsu will not do such a special job, unfortunately. They test their stones apparently very well and diligently. They would not want to risk a 'one-off' stone for sentimental values or other reasons.

This is the photo of the granite that would have been a Koetsu.

viber_image_2023-01-14_16-12-53-397.jpg

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Looking at these raw stones again suddenly made me recall a private conversation I had with a British guy I met at an internet group. He asked me if I can channel his request to my regional Koetsu distributor and ultimately to Sugano san in Japan about his wish for his ultimate stone body Koetsu.

He told me when you was younger he was in Aswan, Eqypt for a while and worked in a quarry where they made obelisks. He was able to bring back a small piece of rose-pink granite from an unfinished obelisk. He wanted to know if Sugano san would make a Koetsu out of it, with platinum magnet and diamond cantilever.

My distributor told me has had this kind of discussion with Sugano san long ago as he himself would like to have a specially made Koetsu from granite. The answer then was negative, due to sound quality reasons and he told me in all probability the answer would still be 'no'. After a few days he came back to me and indeed confirmed that Koetsu will not do such a special job, unfortunately. They test their stones apparently very well and diligently. They would not want to risk a 'one-off' stone for sentimental values or other reasons.

This is the photo of the granite that would have been a Koetsu.

View attachment 102978
Nice to read your story jadis, really nice .

But I can put myself in Sugano San’s position or situation…. Think of finding an old rocket-engine that you like very very much, and then ask Volvo (for instans) to make a one of a kind high performence rocket-volvo, haha…
I belive the answer would be NO there too, Hahaha… or what do you think, my friend?

Now - You have the best weekend, okay..

All the best

/ Jk 91DD1448-8A2B-47D8-8C5E-E2FC64FD364E.jpeg

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Nice to read your story jadis, really nice .

But I can put myself in Sugano San’s position or situation…. Think of finding an old rocket-engine that you like very very much, and then ask Volvo (for instans) to make a one of a kind high performence rocket-volvo, haha…
I belive the answer would be NO there too, Hahaha… or what do you think, my friend?

Now - You have the best weekend, okay..

All the best

/ Jk View attachment 102979
Glad you are enjoying my posts, Johan.

I definitely agree with you about the Volvo example. Haha.

Have a great weekend too, my friend.

Reactions: Johan K

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
How do the stone Koetsu's synergise with the SME 3012-R?

Cheers

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing