Koetsu

apropos

Mar 4, 2023
It is with sadness when I heard that Fumihiko Sugano passed away last August 21. For us Koetsu lovers here, we would miss his legacy , and his great continuation of his father's endeavor. Treasure your Koetsus and take good care of them.
This is very sad news. My condolences to the Koetsu family.

I hope that they have a succession plan in place. In Japan it would be traditional for the eldest son to take over almost without question, but I have not heard or read anything about this planning before.

It would be not optimal IMHO if Koetsu was sold to an outsider, I feel that similar to wines, it's not just the terrior that one seeks, but also the taste of the winemaker and other intangibles such as heritage/history.

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
Super sad about the Koetsu news - I know he was getting up there in years, but thought he had more time left. 82 feels too young for a Japanese master to go :( Thank you for all the joy you've brought to our lives, Fumihiko Sugano. I'm grateful for every one of your cartridges I've been fortunate enough to treasure. Godspeed!
So the conclusion is that an Effective Mass of around 11g for a tonearm is fine for the Koetsus. :)

Already had an FR64fx when I got my first Koetsu, and just went along with the "they require a high mass arm" internet wisdom. Later added a medium mass Graham Phantom, and Koetsus still sounded great there! More recently I heard my own RSP on a friend's VPI 3D 10" Reference arm, and it sounded almost exactly like it does it my system - does all its usual great things, in a completely different arm / table/ system / room (note: I was able to bring the VdH Colibri XGP which normally anchors that system into my own. It was very interesting to hear both cartridges' personalities transferred 100% into completely different systems)! I'll caveat that this 3D arm had the dual pivot mod, and apparently that's important here (Koetsus like stability?). Anyways, that VPI arm can't be more than 11g in mass.

I no longer fixate on the "requirement" for a high mass arm!

Last edited:

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Super sad about the Koetsu news - I know he was getting up there in years, but thought he had more time left. 82 feels too young for a Japanese master to go :( Thank you for all the joy you've brought to our lives, Fumihiko Sugano. I'm grateful for every one of your cartridges I've been fortunate enough to treasure. Godspeed!

Already had an FR64fx when I got my first Koetsu, and just went along with the "they require a high mass arm" internet wisdom. Later added a medium mass Graham Phantom, and Koetsus still sounded great there! More recently I heard my own RSP on a friend's VPI 3D 10" Reference arm, and it sounded almost exactly like it does it my system - does all its usual great things, in a completely different arm / table/ system / room (note: I was able to bring the VdH Colibri XGP which normally anchors that system into my own. It was very interesting to hear both cartridges' personalities transferred 100% into completely different systems)! I'll caveat that this 3D arm had the dual pivot mod, and apparently that's important here (Koetsus like stability?). Anyways, that VPI arm can't be more than 11g in mass.

Mulveling,

Very well writing?;) ! Could not have said it better my self. And yes, rest in peace Fumihiko Sugano San??. Your legacy will be remembered.

/ Jk

Reactions: jadis and mulveling

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Very nice insights, Mike. It's always nice to hear feedbacks on actual installations than to rely purely on theories and numbers. If the situation so warrants it, purist approach is great, but in real life applications, it's good to be able to 'move' around the set rules.

Last edited:
Reactions: mulveling

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Hello Mike, many thanks for taking the time to provide feedback. Looking forward to your update in due course. Many thanks
i have played around with VTA and found a bit more synergy with the Koetsu Azule/Telos/NVS/darTZeel phono, and it's now holding it's own with my other combo's and get's a full fledged turn with the others. i appreciate it's solidity, authority and engaging manner. balanced top to bottom. the word 'sweet' comes to mind and i don't mean sugary.....more like joyful. and happy on the wood arm wand Telos.

probably there is break in involved too, as it had less than 20 hours when i acquired it, now it's likely around 40-45 hours.

anyway enjoying it, and it's an all around player on any music.

Last edited:

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
i have played around with VTA and found a bit more synergy with the Koetsu Azule/Telos/NVS/darTZeel phono, and it's now holding it's own with my other combo's and get's a full fledged turn with the others. i appreciate it's solidity, authority and engaging manner. balanced top to bottom. the word 'sweet' comes to mind and i don't mean sugary.....more like joyful. and happy on the wood arm wand Telos.

probably there is break in involved too, as it had less than 20 hours when i acquired it, now it's likely around 40-45 hours.

Nice to hear your update, Mike. What you described is also what I felt with my Blue Lace. And yes, break in is a reality, I would say it's generally on the soft side at the beginning but by at about 70 hours, the power and authority, plus inner detailing, is simply phenomenal, everything comes into place.

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013

That's great feedback Mike. Many thanks for taking the time to provide a detailed update. Happy listening.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

That's great, Mike! Do you have any impressions of the sound of the Azule versus the sound of your Rosewood Signature Platinum? Or was the RSP too long ago, in too different a system?

Apr 4, 2022
Word from a Japanese retailer is that Koetsu (for now) has ceased production.
Guess we'll have to eagerly watch and see what develops.
I hope it's not the end!

Reactions: Johan K

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Well, the thing is Koetsu was never a company that used media and press releases for its products, operations , personnel, etc., so we're gonna have to wait for the dealers around the world to give us news, or even no news. Dealers would know if there it a continuation of operations for sure as they would like to stock up and supply their customers. In the meantime, let's hope for the best.

Reactions: Johan K and dan31
Apr 4, 2022
Well, the thing is Koetsu was never a company that used media and press releases for its products, operations , personnel, etc., so we're gonna have to wait for the dealers around the world to give us news, or even no news. Dealers would know if there it a continuation of operations for sure as they would like to stock up and supply their customers. In the meantime, let's hope for the best.
Yes, it was a dealer that shared that information with myself.
No direction given from Koetsu as yet. "For now" no productions was the comment.

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Well written Rick, and I totally agree.. My BlueLace gives me goosebumps every time I listen to it ;)! And great news Be Quiet..Listen. Waiting for something good is worth waiting for.

/ Jk

Reactions: jadis and RickS

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
One thing we can do is to increase our carefulness in using our Koetsus. ;)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Exactly Phil :(

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
  • Wow
Reactions: Johan K

ncoble03

VIP/Donor
Sep 9, 2023
Phoenix, AZ, US
Hello Koetsu fans, I recently became the owner of my first one and am excited to have my first listen. I started a new thread about it, but have not had much response, so I thought I would stop in here. I just didn't want to clutter up this thread. It is currently nude and I was hoping that you guys, with all your extensive knowledge of all things Koetsu, could help me solve the mystery. I'm a bit apprehensive to use it in its current state, given the seemingly fragile wiring, but was wondering what you guys think. I'll link below...

Mystery Koetsu thread

Thanks in advance for any info you guys can provide, and also thanks for having me :)

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
What is the difference between the Blue Lace Platinum and the Onyx Platinum carts?
They look almost identical from photos

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing