"Long-Term Equipment Loans: A Win-Win for Everyone" by Robert Harley, The Absolute Sound

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I would love to hear a mainstream critic review this system as presented by OCD Hi-Fi Guy on You Tube. No commercial politics here with everything being modified or DIY. They would probably wind up scrubbing themselves afterward.

It is pure WAF poison. It's more likely Ked review material. Those single ended 'triode transistor' amps based on Pass DIY designs probably put out 40 to 50 watts apiece. I like the background comment 'you could weld with one of those' or something to that effect.
.Great vid , the real deal right there .
Not exactly a commercial system lol

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Thank you for your comment

please do not shutdown this topic. I think here is peaceful and me and Michael could be good friends. I hope Michael will find my comments non-harmful. We will continue this topic .
Assuming you are the same Amir that often made confrontational, contentious comments that really pissed people off (myself included), you were banned from WBF as a result. And here you are again. l do not understand why the mods have let you back in WBF. I hope they recognize their error in judgement and return you to the Forum abyss.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Lagonda

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Assuming you are the same Amir that often made confrontational, contentious comments that really pissed people off (myself included), you were banned from WBF as a result. And here you are again. l do not understand why the mods have let you back in WBF. I hope they recognize their error in judgement and return you to the Forum abyss.
No I am not that Amir. He was Amir Majidi Mehr and his id was amirm , my Name is Amir Hossein and my id is Amir.

Amir Majidimehr now is owner of ASR forum

Amir Majidimehr Lives in USA and I live in Iran.

I have talked about the subject with some examples and you are welcome if you have any answer.

take it easy , this is just our hobby

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Thanks for clarifying. My bad and my blood pressure is fine. Objective answers to a subjective hobby? I stopped that a long time ago.

Scott Naylor

Mar 19, 2021
No I am not that Amir. He was Amir Majidi Mehr and his id was amirm , my Name is Amir Hossein and my id is Amir.

Amir Majidimehr now is owner of ASR forum

Amir Majidimehr Lives in USA and I live in Iran.

I have talked about the subject with some examples and you are welcome if you have any answer.

take it easy , this is just our hobby
“Take it easy, this is just our hobby”?

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
“Take it easy, this is just our hobby”?

I have posted my weblog here (www.hifi.ir) before you and you can find more information about me about my audio activity and my Amir Audio.
There is no Secret about me, you can read my posts in other forums , my ID is Amir or Amir Hossein . You can see my profile photo is TAD .

the story is : three or four years ago I have Imported some audio brands because there was no audio distributor for those brands in Iran. My main business is not Audio and Audio is my hobby.
I have imported Weiss, Vitus Audio , Skogrand, TAD , Audio Note UK, Audiopax and I will import Living Voice Vox Olympian + Kondo in the future.
Also Wadax will come in the future to Iran.
I will ask David help about a good decision to Import a good Turntable to Iran.

If you read my posts here you will find my experience about audio and I do not undrestand why you are searching about my background instead of answering my questions.

Last edited:

Scott Naylor

Mar 19, 2021
I have posted my weblog here (www.hifi.ir) before you and you can find more information about me about my audio activity and my Amir Audio.
There is no Secret about me, you can read my posts in other forums , my ID is Amir or Amir Hossein . You can see my profile photo is TAD .

the story is : three or four years ago I have Imported some audio brands because there was no audio distributor for those brands in Iran. My main business is not Audio and Audio is my hobby.
I have imported Weiss, Vitus Audio , Skogrand, TAD , Audio Note UK, Audiopax and I will import Living Voice Vox Olympian + Kondo in the future.
Also Wadax will come in the future to Iran.
I will ask David help about a good decision to Import a good Turntable to Iran.

If you read my posts here you will find my experience about audio and I do not undrestand why you are searching about my background instead of answering my questions.
From WHAT'S BEST FORUM TERMS OF SERVICE:

13. If you work in any industry relevant to the topics discussed in our forum, you must show that clearly in your signature. While we encourage our industry insiders to use their real names (or parts thereof), aliases are allowed as user names.

It would be helpful for less knowledgeable members like myself if user industry affiliations were clearly noted as specified in the forum terms of service. That way when special posters like yourself - who have years of industry experience as well as unique insights - write I know to read their contributions carefully and weight opinions accordingly. Amir, having wise and talented members like you posting regularly is what makes this forum's value stand above all others, IMO.

Oh, and I could not presume to answer your questions - I’m here to learn from you after all!

Last edited:

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
From WHAT'S BEST FORUM TERMS OF SERVICE:

13. If you work in any industry relevant to the topics discussed in our forum, you must show that clearly in your signature. While we encourage our industry insiders to use their real names (or parts thereof), aliases are allowed as user names.

It would be helpful for less knowledgeable members like myself if user industry affiliations were clearly noted as specified in the forum terms of service. That way when special posters like yourself - who have years of industry experience as well as unique insights - write I know to read their contributions carefully and weight opinions accordingly. Amir, having wise and talented members like you posting regularly is what makes this forum's value stand above all others, IMO.

Oh, and I could not presume to answer your questions - I’m here to learn from you after all!

Ignoring Privecy and Rubberneck is different to Learning .

I wish you underestand difference of them.

offensive behavior will change the forum and not allow members to continue.

Avidlistener

Feb 18, 2013
Hey this Amir is a welcome member and posts on TAD forums.

he’s not the other guy 13EE51C2-F424-49A8-9B0F-D319DED98A4D.jpeg

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
WHY WE NEED AUDIO REVIEWERS/REVIEWS

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Guys dont need to get all worked up about reviewing , i stumbled on this cool vid
Art dudley says besides wearing earplugs on the lawn mower they are no qualifications .
Lets keep it real ,lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ovenmitt and wil

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
After reading all this and of course giving some more thought to the topic that Ron so eloquently framed this is certainly a conundrum.
I think the different methods by which the reviewers get gear to write about all leave questions in my mind.
The long term loans which is the major subject here does leave some with the sense that there could be some impropriety possible.

I think that the great er question to me is what are the other possible ways to do this?
How can this be done where this is not an area by which people question the result because of the ethics?
People can disagree with a reviewers taste, their conclusions, their likes and dislikes this is to be expected but when these are questioned with the undertone of corruption this is quite a different area.
Personally being someone that has given product to reviewers I feel that we tried to do our homework on whom we would like to look at our gear. We did this not by taste but rather by giving the gear to those we felt were the best qualified at what they do. There was no quid pro quo and the gear stayed for a reasonable amount of time for the process to happen. In my mind that is a period of a few months perhaps 3-4 as I do realize that the reviewers personally or company wise can't possibly buy all the products. If they did they would be running a huge used equipment market and be in competition with the retail and wholesale portion of the industry.
I am aware that certain companies and certain products have stayed for a very long period of time in reviewers homes. I think this can be viewed as an issue and perhaps should be discussed in these publications etc. as to why?
Perhaps the biggest issue is the lack of clarity. Why are they there so long?
I can see both sides of the buying the sample as well becasue at the end of the day a reviewer does need a system and a reference from which to work. The reference IMO does also lead to what products they can look at and what they can possible use in there room and system that would work in that environment. As we all know audio is not universal and everything does not play nicely with everything else.
IMO the reader is left with deciding, like with an critic, what they are looking for from the review, what types of product they are interested in, and with whom do they relate?
I have a few that I prefer and take their reviews as a good source of information , there are others that to me aren't worth my time . I do suggest that the readers do their homework and make a wise choice. I don't believe that any one can choose what is right for others and they shoudl retain the responsibilty to do thier homework, If you don't have someone you can realate to and to trust in this Industry/hobby whatever you IMO can have a very difficult journey .

I really dont see a viable conclusion to avoid the loaning of equipment. The audio Industry is small, undercapitalized, very competitive, very entrepenurial, extremely opininated and tribal. I think its not the loan that is the issue but rather the lack of clarity of the terms and in many cases , not all, the qualifications fo those who receive them.
Good post Elliot.

My thinking is that a long-term loan is fine if the loan more on the order of 3-5 years or less versus forever and the terms from the manufacturer are clear to the editor. In my experience, the more expensive stuff has a contract the reviewer signs and often the manufacturer has first dibs to buy the gear and it cannot be sold for a period for two years typically. Often if the product gets a major upgrade, the manufacturer will want the reviewer will have the latest and perhaps offer generous trade-in terms.

I also think accommodation pricing is good as it allows a reviewer to get typically 50% off which enables a better system. I think there are provable learning benefits from having a better system as a reviewer. You can more easily hear differences in new gear under review.

Elliot makes a good point about what reviewers he trusts. I think over time, audiophiles gravitate to certain reviewers as their experience matches their opinions and/or they like their take on things or get some comfort from the reviewer’s writing or intelligence or knowledge.

I think TAS or any other publication has done their job if the writers help someone narrow down the choices to a short list for audition.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I haven’t read this entire thread, but while not nearly as valuable, theater reviewers get access to shows, movie reviewers get copies of films. As long as it’s transparent, I don’t see the issue.

There are so many great products available, why would a reviewer want to live long term with an inferior product, when they can return it and get another component?

As others have stated, a review isn’t the final arbiter of what we buy. A review gets you interested in a product and then an audition confirms whether or not it’s something you’re interested in.

My guess is that for many reviewers, they are not being paid much. Cordesman was or is some sort of military consultant. Another TAS writer I’ve corresponded with is a doctor.

This is an esoteric hobby and a damn expensive one with a fairly small audience.

People should get perks and access to the best gear, especially if they are not being well compensated. Judge the reviewer by their reputation, writing skills and ability to illuminate what are often very fine details that are also highly variable depending upon the other gear used, which often changes.

Same for magazines and sites that cater to the hobby. They do what they have to, to survive.

Unless someone has tried making a living as content creator in this highly fractured world of millions of things competing for people’s attention, they have no idea what’s it’s like.
Very well said.

Reactions: Avidlistener

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
A few more thoughts…

1. Manufacturers have a real issue in reviewers returning used gear. It helps to provide favorable terms to reviewers.
2. No one has ever had a viable magazine that covers the cost of printing through pure subscription costs. Those that have tried have gone under.
3. Most reviewers have a day job. Although a wonderful hobby, there are very few that make a reaosnably good annual income doing it full time.
4. Most audiophiles don’t realize how expensive and how much work it is to review audio equipment, either via print or video.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Tas actually went under after they started accepting advertising. HP pinned it on his failure to embrace digital
Later on the decision was made to advertise in only one magazine. It was not tas
²

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
4. Most audiophiles don’t realize how expensive and how much work it is to review audio equipment, either via print or video.
No doubt!

Tom

perart1

Mar 17, 2012
Cheltenham
  • Haha
Reactions: cjfrbw and Lagonda

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
I don't judge a reviewer's worth based on one review, nor do I write as mundanely as do you. I don't write "good soundstage" or "good bass". You do. I won't judge you based on your ridiculous post here. I'll be an optimist. Perhaps you are better than this.
Hello Michael

you can see my critique about your TAD C600 Review here:

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
He is not like most audio reviewers as he is the only one I follow in the major ones. There are some lesser known reviewers who can write the odd excellent review.

in his case you can actually relate attribute to attribute what he hears when you experience the gear, whether you like it or not, which shows that he is honestly describing what he is hearing. Examples across the years are his reviews of brinkmann balance, Allaerts Vs Lyra, the review of the lambda where he mentions it is like a tube got inserted into the atlas, and credit that he is the only major reviewer who compared the KL audio to the audio desk and did not shift. All production issues aside, audio desk actually cleans sound great. I could go on. I can never make sense of what some of the other big names write even when I agree on their conclusion of the product…many seem to be filling in prose. He was also right about the Allnic phono with the stock recti, though he should have swapped that recti, which he didn’t do. And he was right about the negatives of the Monaco TT.

two issues: his tonearms, SAT and the current Schroeder, are not owned by many, so he needs different types of tonearms to account for arm cart compatibility and reference. If he can’t afford them he should get them on long term loan :). That will make more sense to many readers.

and he should get an additional system, a valve based system, similar to the late Art Dudley, as it will give him a better perspective on originals Vs reissues compared to his current Dart based one.
Hi Bonzo
I have checked your website and I have read 3 pages of your reviews , I did not read all pages of Zero Distortion but I think you can read my Critique about wrong Method of Audio Reviewing

I have no interest to upset any body and I hope you and Michael not to be offended.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Bonzo
I have checked your website and I have read 3 pages of your reviews , I did not read all pages of Zero Distortion but I think you can read my Critique about wrong Method of Audio Reviewing

I have no interest to upset any body and I hope you and Michael not to be offended.

why will I be offended? I am not reading your critique I started and gave up too many strawman arguments. You can make up any point and argue against it. You keep saying you want to learn but instead you keep telling people how things should be.

Reactions: mtemur

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing