Magico M9

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I have no doubt this new Magico will be have insane detail resolution. And paired with the right amps (NOT spectral! NOT CH circumcision!) will sound excellent with great audiophile recordings. But how many people enjoy audiophile recordings?

More importantly, will it sound good with streamed music or will streaming render this speaker unlistenable?

Caesar, how do you image Alon Wolf and others evaluate the sound of their speakers during the prototype stage through to the first production model? Do they listen to music at all? And if so, do they only listen to audiophile recordings? Some photos show the source gear on their rack in their factory listening room. Rarely have I seen a R2R deck or a turntable in such photos. I wonder what the dealers and audio show hosts use when demonstrating these speakers to potential customers.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
His agent tells him what to get AND gets it for him :p
And then his wife tells him what not to get... so then he ungets it. It’s a vicious cycle.

caesar

May 30, 2010
[QUOTE="microstrip, post: 655102, member: 129"]You have a point here - this thread is coming ahead of its time, no one has listened to the M9 and the speaker is not even available for listening. But considering the experience of the WAMM and the Magico currriculum I feel we have good reasons to have expectations and the thread is bringing us information. As I often say, audio forums are top for information and entertainment.

But please feel free to publish a list of speakers easily available with good distribution and support that you feel they surpass the WAMM at one then tenth the price, particularly if they are a great match with the Lamm ML3 ... :)[/QUOTE]

Hi Microstrip,
How many non-Wilson people became converts to Wilson after hearing the Wamm? How many people do you think Magico will convert? Aside for the clueless, silly-rich guy who will write a check based on exclusivity alone, chances are people have developed a particular taste, and this speaker will be heaven for those who already enjoy the taste and hell for those who already hate he magico sound.

Reactions: bonzo75

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
So on this, one of the very most cost no objectest fora on the planet who will buy $750k speakers. The rarefied becomes ever more rare.

The great disconnect is a point about what is affordable. The boutique billionaire market aren’t hardly going to buy this stuff and then come back and report and debate on what they got. They aren’t audiophiles, they are billionaires. Their system may have been determined by their interior designer.

In terms of Sota performance my money is on an audiophile with less expensive speakers but good selection of components, well setup with good system infrastructure throughout over the efforts of a billionaire and their interior designer even with the advice of a good dealer. Gear like this may likely get showcase amps and then just as easily languish with a Lumin.

That's a general misconception Graham, IME experience the owners of such systems are among the most passionate audiophiles and their aim is perfection. Generally they go way beyond most of us here and they try very hard to achieve perfection for the love music and the hobby. Unfortunately sometimes they're let down by the so called professionals that they work with who abuse this passion for personal again. The other misconception is that such individuals are inaccessible, it's not true, the few that I know are actually quite hospitable and are happy to open up their listening rooms to fellow audiophiles and share a moment. This is one of the friendliest hobbies I know of and you don't come across any interior designers with big budgets either, that's H/T, not high end. I keep repeating this, the social side of this hobby is the greatest, way beyond the equipment.

david

caesar

May 30, 2010
Caesar, how do you image Alon Wolf and others evaluate the sound of their speakers during the prototype stage through to the first production model? Do they listen to music at all? And if so, do they only listen to audiophile recordings? Some photos show the source gear on their rack in their factory listening room. Rarely have I seen a R2R deck or a turntable in such photos. I wonder what the dealers and audio show hosts use when demonstrating these speakers to potential customers.

Hi Peter,
Great points. I think you have a better relationship with them than I do. Maybe you can ask. :)

Better yet, can Alon Wolf and/ or his designer (Meir Yamaim?) be invited to this forum to explain their design process? I have no doubt members here will treat them with respect. (And I strongly believe it has been a mistake for Wolf not to have actively participate in this forum through the years.)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
If you buy something for service, WAF, distribution, exclusivity, you can choose your criteria, it is good to say it. Just should not be assumed all for sonics, that's all.

I wrote "easily available with good distribution and support ", just what a normal audiophile community can expect, not WAF or exclusivity. IMHO absence of the criteria I referred is responsible for many negatives experiences in WBF.

Anyway why should sonics be incompatible with the criteria I referred? Should we think that optimization of sonics implies unobtainium and one man companies with direct distribution?

caesar

May 30, 2010
This is an interesting musing and brings up a largely undiscussed issue. We all know what brands thrill audiophiles, but isn't the more relevant question, what speaker brands thrill the mastering and recording engineers? How many of the major uber engineers use Wilson's, Magico's or other SOA speaker contenders? The great Steve Hoffmann uses vintage '68 Tannoys! (https://www.psaudio.com/article/steve-hoffman-mastering-legend-and-audio-restoration-magician/). We all know that Bob Ludwig uses Eggleston Ivy's, which never received audiophile accolades (not necessarily a bad thing!). George Massenburg looks like he uses ATC monitors but I may be wrong. But wouldn't you think there would be a pair of Magicos, WAMM, XVX, or even a lowly pair of Alexx in some LA, NY or Nashville studio somewhere?? Hmmm......

Interesting point, indeed. But I believe we all know so many musicians, band leaders, and music teachers, people who listen to real music all day, never agreeing on anything either. But those folks likely do have more confidence in their "imagination of real" than an audiophile on an internet forum or on audiogon.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
That's a general misconception Graham, IME experience the owners of such systems are among the most passionate audiophiles and their aim is perfection. Generally they go way beyond most of us here and they try very hard to achieve perfection for the love music and the hobby. Unfortunately sometimes they're let down by the so called professionals that they work with who abuse this passion for personal again. The other misconception is that such individuals are inaccessible, it's not true, the few that I know are actually quite hospitable and are happy to open up their listening rooms to fellow audiophiles and share a moment. This is one of the friendliest hobbies I know of and you don't come across any interior designers with big budgets either, that's H/T, not high end. I keep repeating this, the social side of this hobby is the greatest, way beyond the equipment.

david

Convivial fellowship among like minded hobbyists. I have experienced much of this in my own little, more modest, group of audio friends. And I have heard your wonderful turntable creation up at Rockitman's old place, simply because I contacted him and requested a visit. These are the special moments.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014

david
Much to your credit I also think that you work with a rarefied group of buyers David and it’s a great niche and a good pocket of the market that exemplifies what is very good about this pursuit.

Reactions: PeterA

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Hi Peter,
Great points. I think you have a better relationship with them than I do. Maybe you can ask. :)

Better yet, can Alon Wolf and/ or his designer (Meir Yamaim?) be invited to this forum to explain their design process? I have no doubt members here will treat them with respect. (And I strongly believe it has been a mistake for Wolf not to have actively participate in this forum through the years.)

Thank you Caesar,

Years ago I was led to believe that Mr. Wolf was going to join this forum. I agreed to host the Magico sub section of the forum with that in mind. It never happened.

After reading the tone from some regular members here, and seeing the direction of this thread about what might well be his dream creation, I do not see Mr. Wolf joining an time soon. My questions to you about their demo music sources were rhetorical. I already know the answers.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I wrote "easily available with good distribution and support ", just what a normal audiophile community can expect, not WAF or exclusivity. IMHO absence of the criteria I referred is responsible for many negatives experiences in WBF.

Anyway why should sonics be incompatible with the criteria I referred? Should we think that optimization of sonics implies unobtainium and one man companies with direct distribution?

No of course it's not incompatible. I am just saying be clear and honest of objectives.

The advantage of buying from small manufacturers is there is low to zero distribution and marketing margin being paid for, so you know exactly what the cost is going into, and it's bespoke. They can use a lot of quality drivers, for example, that the bigger manufacturer cannot use because he needs a current production component with lots of volume and warranty to produce many consistent units and service many customers. This is a valid concern for the manufacturer, but not for the end user

Also, like Caesar mentioned, you are either a Wilson lover or not already, before you get to the WAMM. So if you think the XLF is better than a vintage tannoy, it will be very difficult to convince you that vintage tannoy is better than the WAMM. The opposite will be true too.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
So on this, one of the very most cost no objectest fora on the planet who will buy $750k speakers. The rarefied becomes ever more rare.

The great disconnect is a point about what is affordable. The boutique billionaire market aren’t hardly going to buy this stuff and then come back and report and debate on what they got. They aren’t audiophiles, they are billionaires. Their system may have been determined by their interior designer.

In terms of Sota performance my money is on an audiophile with less expensive speakers but good selection of components, well setup with good system infrastructure throughout over the efforts of a billionaire and their interior designer even with the advice of a good dealer. Gear like this may likely get showcase amps and then just as easily languish with a Lumin.

You mean like this highly tuned setup in a room surrounded by glass with marble floor and laptop transport lol.
348867A2-2B21-4560-871E-EC69DB09B06F.jpeg

caesar

May 30, 2010
Thank you Caesar,

Years ago I was led to believe that Mr. Wolf was going to join this forum. I agreed to host the Magico sub section of the forum with that in mind. It never happened.

After reading the tone from some regular members here, and seeing the direction of this thread about what might well be his dream creation, I do not see Mr. Wolf joining an time soon. My questions to you about their demo music sources were rhetorical. I already know the answers.

Sure, Peter. Rhetorical or not, I think it would be a wise decision to join.

caesar

May 30, 2010
We don't always have to agree on the sound, but I do hope we can agree to respect each other as human beings

Reactions: Ovenmitt

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Dude surely he has a turntable behind the wall.

Well it seems the owners like stone floors. Another “tasteful” and highly optimised setup lol 6E41B0FF-1F65-4F97-87C1-741D83556D32.jpeg

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
You mean like this highly tuned setup in a room surrounded by glass with marble floor and laptop transport lol.
View attachment 66255

Perhaps we should spend a few minutes doing a proper search job before joking:

Stunning #WAMM Master Chronosonic system put together by iconic systems for their client.
@dagostino_amps Relentless amplifiers, @TransparentInc Magnum Opus cables, Harmonic Resolution Systems Inc. racks, MSB Technology Corporation Select DAC, and Aurender music server

Reactions: Alrainbow

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing