Measuring power line capacity with the IDEAL SureTest, and the effect of Shunyata power products

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I wonder if the GTX with all that plating is cause a drop in the available current. It's kind of a head scratcher. I'm sure there is a good answer. Contact's tight on GTX, perhaps they lost tension. I have the MIT Super 20 outlet with the filters. I also have an older furutech F gold. Hum not sure if I should just leave it alone.

I'm still waiting for that data that says the GTX is at the top.
Notice my test the other day, of chaining an unused brand-new GTX-D... nothing to do with losing grip. Could be the plating, could be that I had 3 defective GTX-D's; don't know.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Out of curiosity, what has all these measurements accomplished? Have you changed anything to improve the sound?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Have I changed anything? Yes, all power cords and audio outlets, obviously. The measurements have confirmed to a certain degree what I have heard as a result of replacing some 15 cords over the last year or so. More than that, they separate the wheat from the chaff. This is like asking Shunyata: "why are you guys measuring..." - because there is a correlation

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
If your data, and conclusions thereof, proves to be true, there are going to be some confused GTX owners. Or it maybe (numbers aside) that none of this is audible in the end.

Reactions: ack

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Or it maybe (numbers aside) that none of this is audible in the end.
I would agree; but in the spirit of everything matters, maybe there is cause for alarm, and maybe some assertions or beliefs around receptacles, various cords and conditioners merit scrutiny and review.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I was looking at that outlet last night, but it’s missing that green dot - the assertion that it’s hospital grade; plus the fact they don’t use it in their own higher end products. At one point they were selling those CopperConn receptacles they do use, but were pulled off quickly. Some lucky ones here do have them.

VLS

Mar 7, 2019
Boston, MA
I was looking at that outlet last night, but it’s missing that green dot - the assertion that it’s hospital grade; plus the fact they don’t use it in their own higher end products.
I think the concern is misplaced: it's made for them by Hubbell which is the preeminent manufacturer of hospital grade stuff. It's intended for in-wall use vs. equipment.

Reactions: MadFloyd and ack

MAXPWR

Dec 1, 2019
Iowa, High-End, Fly-Over Country
I was looking at that outlet last night, but it’s missing that green dot - the assertion that it’s hospital grade; plus the fact they don’t use it in their own higher end products. At one point they were selling those CopperConn receptacles they do use, but were pulled off quickly. Some lucky ones here do have them.
Hospital grade outlets with the green dot have plus and minus attributes. The positive attribute is they have a better grip due to heavier duty contact structure with multiple wiping contact points. This is a definite plus for high current delivery. The minus for green dot hospital grade outlets is that they have a coating on the contacts that insures they can stand up to corrosive conditions, which you do not have in your home situation. The well known Porter Port outlet is just a medical grade Hubbell 8300 series outlet (better contacts) with the following differences:
1) A non magnetic ground back strap.
2) No coating on the contacts that would normally be called out for corrosive environments.
3) Outlets are CRYO treated.
I'm only using the Porter Port outlet as an example to bring up the fact that the lack of contact coating, which most green dot outlets have on them, is a plus. I'm not saying the Porter Port outlets are my suggested outlet. They are a good basic Audio upgrade outlet for those who do not want to spend big $$$ for a better sounding outlet.

Hope this helps...

Reactions: Kingrex and VLS

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Porter Port??? You mean Power Port by PS Audio? I have a couple of Hubbell HBL-8300ILR incoming the next couple of days...

MAXPWR

Dec 1, 2019
Iowa, High-End, Fly-Over Country
Porter Port??? You mean Power Port by PS Audio? I have a couple of Hubbell HBL-8300ILR incoming the next couple of days...
Yes Porter Port outlets sold by Albert Porter of Dallas Texas. In the past he sold them on AGON, but I do not see any current listing for them on AGON now. He may have stopped selling them. Here is a link to his store, which has his phone number listed if you want to find out if he still sells them.

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
Measuring the Furutech GTX-D

The next investigation involved understanding why the two Audio Outlets consistently show lower current draws, even when few things are on it - like the preamp, phono preamp and tuner

The suspicion turned to those in-wall Furutech GTX-Ds. All others around them, which consistently get much higher readings, are high quality Leviton, and one of them gets me over 980A. So I decided to chain a spare GTX-D to one of the live GTX-Ds and measure peak amperage and impedance, using alligator clips and two per side in order to get 12awg on each leg.

It was a surprise, but the famed Furutech appears to be audiophile jewelry, a piece of crap, in the same category as those Ching Cheng cords I tested before, giving me basically half the current of the in-wall GTX-D.

So now we have all Leviton outlets around the audio system giving out 1.5X to 2X the current of the in-wall GTX-D, and then a chained GTX-D dropping half of its parent's as well, with much higher impedance than anything else I have measured (which is typically <0.15Ohms everywhere)

View attachment 79699
View attachment 79700
View attachment 79701
View attachment 79702
View attachment 79703

Needless to say, they will be promptly replaced with Hubbell
The outlet looks like it’s not grounded ?
next did use this instrument at the source meaning panel then compare to your room .

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
Replacing the Furutech GTX-D with the Leviton 8300-W hospital grade

Sometimes pictures are worth more than a thousand words, or expensive jewelry - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LEL6I0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Leviton appears to have a more firm grip than the Furutech as well, and comparing against the Hubbel hospital grade in the MIT distribution box, them as well. I think this one is here to stay for a while.

Furutech GTX-D/Rhodium - Audio Outlet 2:

View attachment 79756

Leviton 8300-W Audio Outlet 2:

View attachment 79757

The amperage is a little lower, at 650A, with the Denali plugged as in the first picture, though this could also be normal variability. Very similar results with the other audio outlet:

Furutech:

View attachment 79761

Leviton:

View attachment 79762

Had it not been for Shunyata and their research in all things power, we would not be having this discussion...
650 amps wow !

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
650 amps wow !
Yes, and the Furutech never came even close, as shown. More importantly, all outlets in the area are now performing virtually the same, save for one which consistently gives me 1kA peaks; I suspect that one has no splices; not sure.

The outlet looks like it’s not grounded ?
Yes I addressed this later on. The reading on this outlet (ASCC1 and ASCC2 were exactly the same because of the lack of ground) and should be compared to the ASCC1 reading in post #3, i.e. it’s just a tad lower; however, this was the highest reading after a number of attempts, ie it was typically even lower with one of them at just 180A. I would need to redo this experiment but I just gave the meter back and the Furutech are out of the wall anyway. It is possible that my Furutech have corroded despite the plating?!?!!

All this should just raise awareness in case you suspect power losses, and that measurements matter even here. Bottom line in here, the Leviton are easily outperforming the Furutech. YMMV

Finally, as I mentioned to VLS today, with respect to power cords, nothing comes close to the shunyata either, which exhibit the smallest peak amperage drop.

Last edited:

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I also checked out the ASCC levels with the SureTest 61.164. I was curious what the differences might be between the non dedicated and dedicated lines in my audio room and also my with my Sablon Bocchino power cables and the Sound Application TT7 PGI.

1. Non dedicated line w/ generic cable 325 Amps
2. Romex line from sub-panel w/ gen cable 832
3. 6 awg "home run" line Main Panel w/ gen cable 850
4. 6 awg w/ Sablon King cable 985
5. TT7 Conditioner w/ Sablon King 1.1 K.Amps

All these numbers can vary each time measured, but not by more than 150 amps or so it seems.

My takeaway is that a dedicated line whether Romex or 6 awg provide a lot more available peak current, And the TT7 conditioner does not stifle the current delivery.

Attachments

• ASCC.jpg
    ASCC.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 4

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
I had The 61-165 it had arch fault testing both combo gfci and both types of arch fault devices. it no longer is sold due to law suites of improper arch testing. It has some cool testing features. What it does and how it does it is a bit misleading. But it does allow a few really good tests we audio heads need. I would buy the grounding adapter it can show ground loops and ground path issues between each device.
the lower amp readings caused by higher line imp is very helpful.
a very helpful post and I thank you for posting it.
a I would guess the denAli is adding line imp as such a lower amp rating
but I’m not sure on low power draw devices if this is more important then how well it filters noise.

Reactions: ack

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
@wil impressive results. I am still trying to figure out why a nearby Leviton gives me that 1kA reading but I will take it. I think this is the target I am shooting for in my audio outlets

I am seriously thinking the Furutech was designed to soften the sound.

Last edited:

VLS

Mar 7, 2019
Boston, MA
Hospital grade outlets with the green dot have plus and minus attributes. The positive attribute is they have a better grip due to heavier duty contact structure with multiple wiping contact points. This is a definite plus for high current delivery. The minus for green dot hospital grade outlets is that they have a coating on the contacts that insures they can stand up to corrosive conditions, which you do not have in your home situation. The well known Porter Port outlet is just a medical grade Hubbell 8300 series outlet (better contacts) with the following differences:
1) A non magnetic ground back strap.
2) No coating on the contacts that would normally be called out for corrosive environments.
3) Outlets are CRYO treated.
I'm only using the Porter Port outlet as an example to bring up the fact that the lack of contact coating, which most green dot outlets have on them, is a plus. I'm not saying the Porter Port outlets are my suggested outlet. They are a good basic Audio upgrade outlet for those who do not want to spend big $$$ for a better sounding outlet.

Hope this helps...

BTW, I find it a bit ironic that while so much attention is (rightly) paid to the wall outlet/PC plug and contact quality, the other key connection - PC to component - is hardly ever mentioned. In my (limited?) experience, the C13/C19 connectors on even very high end components don't seem to be anything special, and the grip provided on this end by even very good PCs (incl. Shunyata) isn't great - certainly compared to the other wall outlet side. Seems like a weak link...

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
BTW, I find it a bit ironic that while so much attention is (rightly) paid to the wall outlet/PC plug and contact quality, the other key connection - PC to component - is hardly ever mentioned. In my (limited?) experience, the C13/C19 connectors on even very high end components don't seem to be anything special, and the grip provided on this end by even very good PCs (incl. Shunyata) isn't great - certainly compared to the other wall outlet side. Seems like a weak link...
Well, true on the lack of emphasis, but there are those of us who have at least replaced some C14 receptacles in components, like my Pass phono

Reactions: VLS

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing