Melco S100 audiophile switch

auricgoldfinger

Dec 8, 2019
Btw, I'm using JS-2 for s100, do u think replace it with Farad Super3 will be beneficial? Or shall I consider the clock mod first?

The Farad will sound better than the JS-2 with the S100. The clock mod will make a bigger difference than going from the JS-2 to Farad, but the clock mod is also a much larger expenditure.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
How much does the Pink Faun clock modification cost?

auricgoldfinger

Dec 8, 2019
The cost of the clock module is €1250.00. You would need to add a second PSU rail for the 5v clock module, plus a DC cable and possibly a power cord. Upgraded wire in the switch is another relatively small expense. You are going to hear a much better result if you use a top quality PSU and wire, so you don't want to skimp in those areas. If you are modifying a Buffalo switch, then add the cost of capacitors. Unless you are a DIY expert, add labor of ??? This is all on top of the cost of the switch itself. Jord at Pink Faun offers a turnkey solution, so you can contact him to get a more precise estimate.

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
The cost of the clock module is €1250.00. You would need to add a second PSU rail for the 5v clock module, plus a DC cable and possibly a power cord. Upgraded wire in the switch is another relatively small expense. You are going to hear a much better result if you use a top quality PSU and wire, so you don't want to skimp in those areas. If you are modifying a Buffalo switch, then add the cost of capacitors. Unless you are a DIY expert, add labor of ??? This is all on top of the cost of the switch itself. Jord at Pink Faun offers a turnkey solution, so you can contact him to get a more precise estimate.
Exactly
I did that. I sent it and got back my two Buffalo 2016 from Jord in just few days.
Connected 5v to clock and 12v to switch and cannot take it out of chain Since.
It takes few days for the clock to be at its full potential but
there is nothing that makes this kind of improvement.
Again To me it was the biggest SQ gain ever.

I used older supplys to start with , but upgrating it later did a great job too.
Not as big as the clock change for sure.

Reactions: paulkwan

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
Exactly
I did that. I sent it and got back my two Buffalo 2016 from Jord in just few days.
Connected 5v to clock and 12v to switch and cannot take it out of chain Since.
It takes few days for the clock to be at its full potential but
there is nothing that makes this kind of improvement.
Again To me it was the biggest SQ gain ever.

I used older supplys to start with , but upgrating it later did a great job too.
Not as big as the clock change for sure.
I have a S100 w/ Farad Super3 and am interested hearing more about the improvements that you are hearing with the upgrade. Will you elaborate?

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
I have a S100 w/ Farad Super3 and am interested hearing more about the improvements that you are hearing with the upgrade. Will you elaborate?
Farad super 3 is really great supply ! Simmilar to Vinnie Rossi mini.
I used just SMPS to start with , but those are IFI so audio grade.
After short time I swiched for comparison to Vinnie Rossi mini supply .(VR)
Noticed very big improvement.
After some time I added to each VR rail an MP audio double regulators.
Those are 2 rows of 5x LT3045 one after the other.
This are MP audio SLS-HPULN PS . I have 7 of them now In my system.
Also added Mundorf silver gold wire everywere I could for DC delivery.
its amazing sounding Now.
This is for some time now and it is much better than anything I tried before (including older version of the Paul Hynes SR7 s).
I know it is hard to believe but in my system this combination of triple regulation is doing true miracles
( VR has belleson spx regulator , there are 2 raws of LT 3045 x5 for each rail).

Next sep is to use newest Sean Jacobs DC4 to power everything. Very , very expensive but many say it is worth.

Do you have upgrated clock in your s100 ?
I installed 2 ultra clocks from PinkFaun in my 2 Buffalows . This upgrate is a must to do because it
compleatly changes everything in sound. All possible aspects are better.

So 1st step would be to do clock upgrade if not done and after that play with power supplys .
Please keep in mind you need separate 5v supply for the clock.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
I asked this question many months ago hoping for answer.
Than I contacted PP direct but had to give up.
If he stacked 4 Switches in one chasis I decided I could do similar thing myself but
with better switches.

What I did I Stacked 2 Buffalo 2016 (identical inside to Melco S100)
It was a very significant increase in SQ
After that 2 more Buffalo Were added with additional increase in SQ For total of 4 switches.

Because Nenon was one of the first to upgrate the clock in his Buffalo/Melco with Pink Faun Ultra
I decided to go this route.
I got in contact with Jord from PinkFaun and had 2 clocks installed in 2 of my Buffalows / Melco
The increase in SQ was amazing. Nothing can change the quality that significant as a Top clock .
It is by far the biggest SQ increase I experienced.

Since that I sent the Router and Modem to Jord to get their clocks upgrated with Pink Faun Ultra.
Waiting for them to come back and will do extensive A/B testing.
I am glad to hear that you also tried to contact Paul Pang on several occasions without getting a reply. I do not know why you have an email address on your website if you never respond, it only wastes the time of those who are interested in your products.
On the other hand today I have received information from Jorg (Pink Faun) that my new modified Melco S-100 has been sent. Communication with Jorg is really excellent. PP should take note.

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
I have received information from Jorg (Pink Faun) that my new modified Melco S-100 has been sent. Communication with Jorg is really excellent. PP should take note.
Interested in the PF upgrade - besides the clock, what else do they do?

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Interested in the PF upgrade - besides the clock, what else do they do?
Well let's just say I'm pretty upset. Compare what DHL Holland is doing with what the English transport company Sablon Audio works with has done, from which I asked for an Ethernet cable on January 26th. I suppose that in England there is also a Corona, as in the whole world.

Attachments

• 7593F803-6409-4350-9E39-61BC961A00EA.png
    7593F803-6409-4350-9E39-61BC961A00EA.png
    929.3 KB · Views: 42
  • EA48B36F-00CF-4FFD-94DD-BF6C84BCEF75.png
    EA48B36F-00CF-4FFD-94DD-BF6C84BCEF75.png
    268.2 KB · Views: 42

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
> The upgrade for the Melco S100 includes:

>

> - The Pink Faun ULTRA OCXO clock.

> - Vibration dampers for the ULTRA OCXO clock board.

> - Cable upgrade, all cables inside the S100 are replaced by Pink Faun proprietary cable and all wires are soldered to the board instead of using connectors.

> - DC-input 5v for the clock. The side of the DC connector is 5.5/2.1mm center positive.

> - Labor and small parts.

>

> Best regards,

>

> Jord Groen | Pink Faun high end audio

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Does anyone with a Melco S-100 know what burn time they need?

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
I noticed an improvement with the S100 right out of the box...then added the Super3 a little later which also had an immediate improvement in SQ. IME, if there was improvement after that, it was subtle.

I see that your switch has the PF upgrade (mine is on the way back from them), are you asking how long it takes their clock to burn-in?

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
In thermally stabilizing 48 hours. In totally burning 500 hours. Jord Groen "dixit"

wil

Jul 22, 2015
can the S 100 take fiber in AND fiber out through it’s 2SFP ports.

Or is it just fiber in OR fiber out?

Whitlee

Dec 30, 2020
Need a little help.
Just installed the S100 in place of a dlink switch. Everything works great except for streaming video from the QNAP drive through the OPPO. The QNAP is in the same room as the router and plugs directly into the router, I run the ethernet cable from the router through the wall to the S100 switch. The Nvidia streams video great, music works great streaming through top the Aurender, but the OPPO is very spastic and keeps freezing and starting like it is trying buffer the signal, have tried the feed to the OPPO on both of the banks and get the same result. Any help would be appreciated.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Need a little help.
Just installed the S100 in place of a dlink switch. Everything works great except for streaming video from the QNAP drive through the OPPO. The QNAP is in the same room as the router and plugs directly into the router, I run the ethernet cable from the router through the wall to the S100 switch. The Nvidia streams video great, music works great streaming through top the Aurender, but the OPPO is very spastic and keeps freezing and starting like it is trying buffer the signal, have tried the feed to the OPPO on both of the banks and get the same result. Any help would be appreciated.
- do you have the wall cable in the 1000mb bank of S100 ?
- do you have than the LAN cable to the OPPO in the same 1000mb bank?

if it is not working, please check the color of the lights on S 100. They should be green on both connections. If one is yellow, potentially a cable failure is happen and the connection is only 100mb. (happened to me once)

Whitlee

Dec 30, 2020
The feed from the router its in the 100mb bank as per the manual when I moved the the OPPO over to the 100mb bank it was a little better but still was very erratic, I will try moving the feed to 1000mb bank and see what happened. Doubt it's a cable as everything was working great with the Dlink switch there, all I did was pull out the Dlink and replace it with the S100 and an Sbooster power supply.

Whitlee

Dec 30, 2020
- do you have the wall cable in the 1000mb bank of S100 ?
- do you have than the LAN cable to the OPPO in the same 1000mb bank?

if it is not working, please check the color of the lights on S 100. They should be green on both connections. If one is yellow, potentially a cable failure is happen and the connection is only 100mb. (happened to me once)
Thanks for the help it worked great, moved the router feed to 1000mb bank and all is good!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: shakti

econom

Apr 2, 2020
Just read the manual and confirmed that it suggests to connect the router to the 1000 Mbps ports

Reactions: shakti

Whitlee

Dec 30, 2020
Just read the manual and confirmed that it suggests to connect the router to the 1000 Mbps ports
Well my manual says that the router feed goes to the 100mb bank

Attachments

• Melco.jpg
    Melco.jpg
    342 KB · Views: 40

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing