Modern speakers vs Vintage speakers

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany

I had done some reoganization of the components.

Also I replaced Rogue Cronus Magnum II with Crown XLS 2502 as amplifier for bass.

After bi amping bypassing internal network, Altec A7 sound transparent as planar speaker. ;)

studio or stage amps do a great bass, i use yamaha amps wonderful natural bass superb punch and resolution.
best bass i ever heard is from the Yamaha M101 the home hifi version of the PC 5002m.
used around 12k€
yamaha-101m.jpg

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Very nice.never seen this yamaha amplifier before.looks very professional.
140lbs pure iron,you need 25A mains at 220volt great sounding beast.
back photo
back.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Addicted to hifi

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
  • Sad
Reactions: thomask

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US

This morning I changed Tungsol 6f8g to National Union 6f8g (6sn7 variant) in Cayin 300b pp tube.

Although Tungsol give more transparent sound, National Union give more body and rounded presentation.

Since I have good inventories of Nos tubes, I do tube rolling to have fresh air.

it is like drinking wine of different flavor.

But if you do lot of tube rolling, be sure to use socket saver to protect original socket in the amp. :)

Last edited:

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US

I think I am close to get the potential of Altec A7 to my taste.

PAP-C1, Custom Active Analog Crossover for Open Baffle - PureAudioProject

As one more possiibility. I ordered Pap c1 analog active crossover.

Although I paid only 750$ for used Altec A7. I had spent more than 10 k $ since then on Cayin 300b pp amp and tubes, active crossover, Denafris Gaia DDC to get the maximum potential out of it.

Nest step is to assemble Scaena 3.2 and get the best sound of it.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Although I paid only 750$ for used Altec A7. I had spent more than 10 k $ since then on Cayin 300b pp amp and tubes, active crossover, Denafris Gaia DDC to get the maximum potential out of it.

Thomask, have you moved around the speakers to different walls and orientations to explore their maximum potential even further? Or even something like NOS speaker wire?

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Thomask, have you moved around the speakers to different walls and orientations to explore their maximum potential even further? Or even something like NOS speaker wire?
Altec is too heavy to move it around so I did not move it.

Instead I keep changing my listening position. ;)

I had done lot of cable rolliing with the cables that I have in stock.

But it is too early to give opinion about the best cable with Altec A7.

So far I am pretty happy with the sound out of it.

it is musical but also could give serious dynamics playing rock music.

Last edited:

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US

I am back to Line Magnetic 508 for treble and Crown XLS 2502 for bass.

It sounds more lively and dynamic.

Cayin 300b pp give more relaxed and warm sound.

I will switch back and forth between Line Magnetic 508 and Cayin 300b pp depending on music and my mood.

PAP analog active crossover that I ordered will be shipped today.

After I get it, I will compare between digital and analog crossover.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I am back to Line Magnetic 508 for treble and Crown XLS 2502 for bass.

It sounds more lively and dynamic.

If you end up liking a pro amplifier on bass I know of a few that will be superior to the ( great value for money ) Crown XLS :)

Reactions: Walnut Horns

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
If you end up liking a pro amplifier on bass I know of a few that will be superior to the ( great value for money ) Crown XLS :)
I had tried Raal Sr1a headphone with Crown XLS 2502.

It sounds quite nice even in treble spectrum although Crown lacks warmth of tube amp.

Thus I already have two Crown Xls 2502 which I think pretty good value for the sound and power (440W for 8 ohm).

Last edited:

Walnut Horns

May 11, 2015
I’m using an XLS on my subs and am very curious what amps you believe improve upon its SQ. Also, do these other amps have x-over and DSP capabilities? Thanks.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
There are so many choices in pro amps...and I agree the Crown XLS is a great value. When it comes to controlling woofers ( especially with impedance dips ) I would choose Ashley ( modest price uptick ) or MC2 ( bit more ) and neither in the series I am familiar with include crossovers and dsp... At home and low spl its possible the advantages will be less obvious but I have experience in installs where the amps are pushed a bit more...

Reactions: Walnut Horns

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
873px-Julie_London_1948_portrait_(crop).jpg

Yesterday evening, I am back to Cayin 300b pp for more relaxed music.

The some hard edge bothered me.

Thus I took Amperex ECC 82 from Rogue Cronus Magnum II and inserted them to Cayin.

Voila, now it sound so sweet with no hard edge.

I had met some tube manufactures in CES.

They acknowledge that stock tubes are not optimal choice but they have to use them since they are available in large quantities.

I used to " Something cool" played by Jacinta (Singapore jazz singer), but Julies voice is so gorgeous that i keep playing her other songs now.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
ultra-fast, as there are many small capacitors right next to the power transistor. This means that charging times and energy delivery are faster. Slew rate 0.3 µs normal amplifiers have 1.5-2.0 µs. the impulses are processed with almost no time delay.
Just curious- a slew rate is exactly that, a rate typically expressed as volts/microsecond. Your reference to 0.3 µs as a slew rate therefor puzzles me. For example, some Spectral amplifiers have published slew rates of 600v/µs. Can you clarify why you think these are the "fastest solid stage amps ever" ?

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Just curious- a slew rate is exactly that, a rate typically expressed as volts/microsecond. Your reference to 0.3 µs as a slew rate therefor puzzles me. For example, some Spectral amplifiers have published slew rates of 600v/µs. Can you clarify why you think these are the "fastest solid stage amps ever" ?
Slewrate is if there is a square-wave signal at the input that completely controls the amplifier.how fast it follows this square wave signal. Example red input signal, green how the amplifier reacts, the referenza d 100 amp needs 0.3 us for this thats extrem fast. yes you are right is given in v / us.
20211210_203426.png

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Slewrate is if there is a square-wave signal at the input that completely controls the amplifier.how fast it follows this square wave signal. Example red input signal, green how the amplifier reacts, the referenza d 100 amp needs 0.3 us for this thats extrem fast. yes you are right is given in v / us.
View attachment 86071
I have no interest in discussing the merits of various specs, but if you wish to bring specs into any discussion, please acknowledge them appropriately. In electronics, slew rate is defined as the change of voltage or current, or any other electrical quantity, per unit of time. I think I appreciate what you are trying to say about 0.3µs, however my understanding is that is not a slew rate, but rather a rise time of the square wave signal. The rise time, settling time (equally important!) and slew rate all contribute to the "speed" of an amplifier. The 0.3 µs you quoted is quite fast, although there are many amps that are faster. The Spectral 400 for example has a rise time of <225 nanosec (or 0.225 µs). While an academic discussion of these parameters is interesting and fun, I learned a long time ago they may or may not contribute to how an amplifier ultimately sounds, or more importantly, how it ultimately pleases the listener in a given system.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing