NORTH AMERICAN PUBLIC DEBUT OF TECHDAS AIR FORCE ZERO AND WILSON AUDIO MASTER CHRONOSONIC/SUBSONIC

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
This TT, I would never be able to own one. If someone here ever get that chance please share your musical impressions with various tonearms, carts, screws, phono wires, cart wires, tracking forces, etc.

As for measurements...she's immeasurable?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
T

I think Michael Fremer is spot on not making comments about the sound in such a brief encounter in an alien room and system. Good for Michael!!

Are we looking at the same report? Michael positively gushes over the sound (as did I), writing “all in attendance agree was the finest vinyl playback any of us have ever heard and it wasn't even close” among several positive comments about the sound of the turntable, the sound from the speakers and the sound of the system overall.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Are we looking at the same report? Michael positively gushes over the sound (as did I), writing “all in attendance agree was the finest vinyl playback any of us have ever heard and it wasn't even close” among several positive comments about the sound of the turntable, the sound from the speakers and the sound of the system overall.

I haven’t even seen what he has written - I am merely responding to the comment from the other forum poster saying that he didn’t comment!!

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I haven’t even seen what he has written - I am merely responding to the comment from the other forum poster saying that he didn’t comment!!

It was a joke. British humor.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Al, the AF0 is serious. Deadly serious. There's no place for humour here.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Reactions: Lagonda

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Nice report. Probably M. Fremer is not aware that the motor was also used in several non Studer European tape decks and including in an old turntable of the 50's, the italian rival of the EMT 927 - the Carrson 61!See http://www.stefanopasini.it/Carrson_Index-1.htm

I failed to get an old tape recorder with this beautiful motor for a ridiculous low sum in France sometime ago - shipping would be more expensive than the machine!

Reactions: Lagonda

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
In all fairness and If I remember correctly, when Bill made that comment Fremer's particular impression was not even posted on Analog Planet yet. Anyhow Bill was praising Mr.Fremer for not commenting directly about the sound of the tt when he was hearing the whole system. In Analog Planet Mr.Fremer also not commenting directly about the Techdas because he did use the words "The system's".

"Fitted with a Graham Elite/TechDAS cartridge and an Swedish Analog Technologies (SAT) CF-12/Lyra Atlas SL, listeners could choose between spaciousness and warmth (Graham/TechDAS) or master tape like transient speed and transparency (SAT/Lyra). All enjoyed equally both sounds, which were three-dimensional, tonally balanced, coherent and dynamically spectacular. The system's effortlessness was revelatory. Familiar records like Masterpieces by Ellington revealed heretofore hidden textural and tonal nuances, helping to produce a "you are there" experience that thrilled on both evenings all in attendance."

Yes, his writing implied the Techdas but also left with words implying the system also.

Shit I now become a lawyer for my friend Bill here. Let's move on and get back to the fairway. We have been hitting balls into woods and everywhere but fairway.

It is good to hear Fremer commented about tonal and textural nuances. Just this aspect alone can make the tt distinguished from the Airforce one.

Tang :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
In all fairness and If I remember correctly, when Bill made that comment Fremer's particular impression was not even posted on Analog Planet yet. Anyhow Bill was praising Mr.Fremer for not commenting directly about the sound of the tt when he was hearing the whole system. In Analog Planet Mr.Fremer also not commenting directly about the Techdas because he did use the words "The system's".

"Fitted with a Graham Elite/TechDAS cartridge and an Swedish Analog Technologies (SAT) CF-12/Lyra Atlas SL, listeners could choose between spaciousness and warmth (Graham/TechDAS) or master tape like transient speed and transparency (SAT/Lyra). All enjoyed equally both sounds, which were three-dimensional, tonally balanced, coherent and dynamically spectacular. The system's effortlessness was revelatory. Familiar records like Masterpieces by Ellington revealed heretofore hidden textural and tonal nuances, helping to produce a "you are there" experience that thrilled on both evenings all in attendance."

Yes, his writing implied the Techdas but also left with words implying the system also.

Shit I now become a lawyer for my friend Bill here. Let's move on and get back to the fairway. We have been hitting balls into woods and everywhere but fairway.

It is good to hear Fremer commented about tonal and textural nuances. Just this aspect alone can make the tt distinguished from the Airforce one.

Tang :)

In all fairness Mr. Fremer is just one more opinion, nothing else, and clearly said :

"From the first record Mr. Nishikawa played to the final record I played, the crowd was treated to what all in attendance agree was the finest vinyl playback any of us have ever heard and it wasn't even close. This turntable stomped all over every other turntable I've ever heard including TechDAS's superb Air Force One Premium, and my Continuum Audio Labs Caliburn. (...)
Read more at https://www.analogplanet.com/conten...mpressions-stun-listeners#wpT7OCbPHevrrer8.99 "

Do we need more on Mr. Fremer opinion on the AF0?

For me the main point is that we have now have three idependent direct opinions on the AF0 in WBF from people who have large experience in vinyl and they seem to agree on the main point. All else are just speculations. And no, I am not buying an AF0 :(, fortunately I am not in the expensive vinyl league ... :) :)

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
In all fairness Mr. Fremer is just one more opinion, nothing else, and clearly said :

"From the first record Mr. Nishikawa played to the final record I played, the crowd was treated to what all in attendance agree was the finest vinyl playback any of us have ever heard and it wasn't even close. This turntable stomped all over every other turntable I've ever heard including TechDAS's superb Air Force One Premium, and my Continuum Audio Labs Caliburn. (...)
Read more at https://www.analogplanet.com/conten...mpressions-stun-listeners#wpT7OCbPHevrrer8.99 "

Do we need more on Mr. Fremer opinion on the AF0?

For me the main point is that we have now have three idependent direct opinions on the AF0 in WBF from people who have large experience in vinyl and they seem to agree on the main point. All else are just speculations. And no, I am not buying an AF0 :(, fortunately I am not in the expensive vinyl league ... :) :)

I am sure the 600k speakers helped the 400k AFO just a little

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I am sure the 600k speakers helped the 400k AFO just a little

It is why it is relevant that two of the three people directly referred have experience with the 600k speakers ...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
You dress the best table with the best silver cutlery and silk tablecloth and napkins and Roman crystal glasses and plates and bowls. Anything less you don't have the best TT to be fairly represented.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
It is why it is relevant that two of the three people directly referred have experience with the 600k speakers ...

If a 400k turntable did not sound the absolute best they have ever heard with 600k speakers, I would have been shocked.
This enables any perspective buyer lot's of confidence in buying either. Imagine how much better if they used the relentless amps :)

Not sure it's relevant or why we care what a few reviewers think of gear we cannot afford. Fun to think there is an absolute best thou.

TLi

May 27, 2016
The Munich Hiend Show will be in two week time. There will be multiple sessions of AF0 demonstrations which is open to public.

Some of us in this forum will attend and report the findings.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Not sure it's relevant or why we care what a few reviewers think of gear we cannot afford. Fun to think there is an absolute best thou.

Again, IMHO it is more than just "a few reviewers" - it is a few people we know well and often comment their findings. And irrespective of ownership or price debating something that pushes the state of the art of stereo sound reproduction is always a fascinating subject. This turntable was just a prototype - perhaps the final version will sound even better! ;)

My biggest desire considering the AF0 is that sometime someone records some known LP tracks played in the AF0 in HiRez and shares them with WBF members - unfortunately people are eager to share and comment low quality digital audio but not high quality!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing