NORTH AMERICAN PUBLIC DEBUT OF TECHDAS AIR FORCE ZERO AND WILSON AUDIO MASTER CHRONOSONIC/SUBSONIC

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
The choice of the ultimate tt in a no hold bar system is also influenced by the philosophy of a particular system or the way the owner of that system approach the construction of his system and room. We do have a friend here who decided to shoot for the best sound from vinyl by using a direct drive with a Sota active vibration mgt platforms. And it is taking him to another planet right now. ;)

Kind regards,
Tang

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
The choice of the ultimate tt in a no hold bar system is also influenced by the philosophy of a particular system or the way the owner of that system approach the construction of his system and room. We do have a friend here who decided to shoot for the best sound from vinyl by using a direct drive with a Sota active vibration mgt platforms. And it is taking him to another planet right now. ;)

Kind regards,
Tang

Dear Tang,

i appreciate the kind words referencing my efforts. and no doubt i agree there is more than one way to find ultimate performance.

i would only say that there is a difference between turntable performance unto itself, and vinyl performance in a whole system. i think it's possible and even likely that the most capable turntables won't always give us a result of the highest vinyl experience. turntables are very interactive systems and don't operate independently....however we might think differently.

and apart from taste issues, pieces are pieces.

and we also must consider that vinyl performance has to do with the combination of excellence in reading time and amplitude. so even if one finds the holy grail of solving perfect amplitude, maybe on the time side others are better (or have preferred advantages). so it's not so simple a question.

these are just thoughts i have thinking about what i'm hearing and what is going on.

best regards,

Mike

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The Munich Hiend Show will be in two week time. There will be multiple sessions of AF0 demonstrations which is open to public.

Some of us in this forum will attend and report the findings.

That is very good, and hopefully a reviewer will buy one. It has to be a very high heeled audio reviewer...you know some? :)

TLi

May 27, 2016
That is very good, and hopefully a reviewer will buy one. It has to be a very high heeled audio reviewer...you know some? :)

Michael Fremer will have AF0 installed in his home to audition this fall. His report will be significant.

If he decides to buy AF0, that is the final judgement. I think he has a good chance to buy one.

Reactions: NorthStar

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
If MF can get it for home review, his report will be most useful.

Yes, a reviewer buying a review sample, even if given reviewer discount, signifies his total commitment.

However the AF Zero is not expensive but very expensive so ...

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Fremer wrote that he made a major financial sacrifice to buy his Continuum Audio Labs Caliburn turntable and arm. It was to be his final table. It would be interesting to see if he does so again for a much more expensive table. I agree it would say a lot. Personally, I would not make such a decision without directly comparing it to the AS2000 with four arm capability. The smaller footprint and four arms would make the AS2000 a wonderful reviewing tool, IMO.

Do you think one gives any thought about long term service and parts availability when deciding to buy one of these complicated, extremely rare turntables? Or does that matter to these buyers?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Fremer wrote that he made a major financial sacrifice to buy his Continuum Audio Labs Caliburn turntable and arm. It was to be his final table. It would be interesting to see if he does so again for a much more expensive table. I agree it would say a lot. Personally, I would not make such a decision without directly comparing it to the AS2000 with four arm capability. The smaller footprint and four arms would make the AS2000 a wonderful reviewing tool, IMO.

Do you think one gives any thought about long term service and parts availability when deciding to buy one of these complicated, extremely rare turntables? Or does that matter to these buyers?

Yeah he was going to buy the Brinkmann Balance before the continuum deal came along

TLi

May 27, 2016

If TechDAS is willing to lend a review AF0 sample to MF, AS can do the same. He can have a direct comparison between the two. That's going to be interesting.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
If TechDAS is willing to lend a review AF0 sample to MF, AS can do the same. He can have a direct comparison between the two. That's going to be interesting.
Hello Thomas,
This is the best comment on these 12 pages!!!
:cool:

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

It depends Peter, some do and some don't but at least a couple decades of problem free performance should be a given and expected at this level, but doesn't always happen. Having dealt with old turntables and service issues my approach to AS2000 was none proprietary parts and user serviceability, that doesn't mean compromise in quality just simplicity for service and/or upgrades of electronics and pump. Mechanically AS2000 has no moving parts to wear out or break so barring some kind of very extreme catastrophe it should go on forever :).

david

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Actually I did ask David what happens if he is not around. He said he would leave me his treasure map. ;)

Tang

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) The smaller footprint and four arms would make the AS2000 a wonderful reviewing tool, IMO. (...)

IMHO a reviewing tool must be something available and accessible, that is known by a significant number of people. Neither the AS2000 or the AF0 seem to be in this class. :)

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
IMHO a reviewing tool must be something available and accessible, that is known by a significant number of people. Neither the AS2000 or the AF0 seem to be in this class. :)
You mean something like Linn?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

I agree with this, you need a common reference to relate.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
There is a delete button Ked, Micro.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
You mean something like Linn?

Did you forget the smile? The Linn is considered one of the most "incompatible" turntables in the history of audio!

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Did you forget the smile? The Linn is considered one of the most "incompatible" turntables in the history of audio!
My point is Linn is an easy accessible tt. Is it a good reviewing tool?

Tang

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

I agree. If Fremer reviewed the AS-2000 and declared in his review that it is no longer available for sale he would be ridiculed for reviewing a turntable that no one can buy.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing