Ron Resnick Launches Audio Cafe LLC, a New Clarisys Audio Dealer

Florian

Jun 26, 2016
Switzerland
Even has me tempted to breach the smog and traffic battlements of the great desert city with my USB chip of rap scratch disco music to hear the Clarysis.

I usually don't like to waste dealer's time as a tire kicker, unless I have serious intent to purchase, but as an old Apogee hand I am, indeed, curious.

With casual perusals of the internet info, I have wondered if Florian is the same ‘Tiny Tim’ of the old Apogee groups. Tiny Tim as a very young man painstakingly rebuilt a set of Apogee Grand speakers and had a few other Apogees. If this is so, I can’t imagine a better person to carry the banner.
Yep, that's me ;-)

Funny enough, I now have two pairs of Apogee Grands in my collection.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
  • Haha
Reactions: Lagonda and Johan K

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations Ron on your new venture!

Impressions are everything. I am sure that you take the utmost care toward impartiality.

In the end the people will vote with participation here or with their wallet on a new set of Clarisys in SoCal. That is the true measure.

I wasn't as enamored as some with the Axpona '23 display of the Clarisys- however, as a planar practitioner for most of my audio life- they did have some excellent qualities. I assume that the room was the main opportunity in Chicago.

We have chatted several times in the past and you strike me as fair and objective enthusiast. I am sure you will work diligently in maintaining your good reputation.
Thank you very much for the kind words and the support!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

Thundersnow

VIP/Donor
Nov 2, 2021
Congrats, Ron. Being a long-time Apogee fan I really do admire what @Florian has done so far to evolve the concept. At some point, I will be the happy owner of one (likely) Studio pair as well!

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
I remember those demos very well. Mid/late 80s at Grahams in N. London. Almost a religious vibe to things. And other than the reverence of the source, the rigouresness of the single spkr demo was enforced with total zeal.
Indeed-ha!--when I was helping my dear friend Peter Merrick (RIP)at Unilet New Malden early 80's we had a whole wall of speakers with a
comparator--in struts Ivor T with a remove all and Linn only or else demand:mad:.
Peter refused and exit Linn:rolleyes:!

Apologies to for transgression--back to thread.

Oh and yes Congrats To Ron on the new venture-Kudos for great success!

BruceD

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thank you, Lloyd!

The thought has occurred to me! o_O The design of the Clarisys is flexible, in that each driver is accessible directly. The Alsyvox has this same driver accessibility.

One observation so far: the Clarisys speakers are about 2 feet in front of the Pendragon speakers. I moved the listening chair two feet back.

Right off the bat I like the additional depth! I should've pulled the Pendragons further into the room, and not worried so much about having space behind my ears to the rear wall.
Very nice! Look forward to perhaps a day when you can make that comparison...Auditorium vs Gryphon. Interesting about pulling out...presume no toe in?

Reactions: MadFloyd

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
The Beverly Hills will be alive with the sound of Clarysis.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
1709425803963.jpeg

Ron, three set up questions:

1. Why straight ahead with no toe-in?
2. Do the two large towers behind each speaker affect the back wave of this dipole design?
3. Do you think you will you be changing the acoustic treatments with the panels you mounted up in the forward corners, the various wall panels, the many tube traps and the electronic bass traps?

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Indeed-ha!--when I was helping my dear friend Peter Merrick (RIP)at Unilet New Malden early 80's we had a whole wall of speakers with a
comparator--in struts Ivor T with a remove all and Linn only or else demand:mad:.
Peter refused and exit Linn:rolleyes:!

Apologies to for transgression--back to thread.

Oh and yes Congrats To Ron on the new venture-Kudos for great success!

BruceD
Ivor T absolutely nailed two concepts seemingly in conflict. That audio was a hugely emotional and thus subjective experience. At the same time as embedding the binary...the Linn LP12, or nothing at all.

Reactions: BruceD

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
View attachment 126356

Ron, three set up questions:

1. Why straight ahead with no toe-in?
Only because that's where I always start with planar dipole loudspeakers.

2. Do the two large towers behind each speaker affect the back wave of this dipole design?

I am sure they affect the rear wave of the Studio Pluses.

3. Do you think you will you be changing the acoustic treatments with the panels you mounted up in the forward corners, the various wall panels, the many tube traps and the electronic bass traps?

The electronic bass traps and the corner TubeTraps likely will stay where they are, as they affect static room modes.

I have taken out the absorption panels on the front wall.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeterA

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Next question

Why Clarisys, why now?

I heard the Clarisys Minuets very briefly at AXPONA last year along with many other people. If something actually sounds good at a show that tends to be a statistically significant impression.

I am working with Clarisys because I wanted to introduce people to what I hear from planar dipoles and to get more involved with what I think is a great-sounding re-incarnated Apogee design than just reporting on it and reviewing it for WBF and Mono and Stereo.

A re-incarnated Apogee with higher sensitivity, a reasonable impedance load, great build quality, presumably greater reliability and great sound quality is what led me to buy Studio Plus.

Specifically, why now? The speakers have been sitting in my garage for six weeks awaiting the examination of the dripping sound in my listening room. The speakers got moved to the living room literally just yesterday, and I connected them immediately.

I did not want to publish the Audio Café website until I had actual speakers to actually demonstrate.

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
Why not demo the speakers using only analog sources? At least you would enjoy your new job.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congrats, Ron!

I didn't realize Mike was also a Clarisys dealer.

I really want to hear them...

I think it's time for you to make another trip back to Beverly Hills!

• Love

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Why not demo the speakers using only analog sources? At least you would enjoy your new job.

That makes no sense to me. Why not let people play their favorite songs?

The whole reason I got the streamer + DAC in the first place was to be able to hand an iPad to visitors and say "Have a good time!"

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Only because that's where I always start with planar dipole loudspeakers.

I am sure they affect the rear wave of the Studio Pluses.

The electronic bass traps and the corner TubeTraps likely will stay where they are, as they affect static room modes.

I have taken out the absorption panels on the front wall.

Thank you Ron. Jim Smith dealt with my static room modes by moving my listening seat. DDK did the same.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing