Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

SwissTom

Sep 30, 2021
I‘m sure we can spend years cooking up all sorts of iterations & improvements, hence the decision to go modular now. This would also protect the value of the investment into the interface/controller technology which is by far the costliest part of the design.

Hi Emile,

At some point it will be interesting to see a diagram of the Taiko ecosystem.

It would be ideal to have some schematics illustrating the different possible combinations with Taiko products (Such as those illustrating the use of the switch)

Given what I have read on other forums, both English and non-English, I think this could be worthwhile.

It would be a pity if there were misunderstandings, especially regarding the new interface/protocol between the server and the DAC (the TACDD) which is intended to outperform the current (USB) or older interfaces.

This interface, if widely adopted by manufacturers, could be a real game changer !

In terms of communication, nothing is more efficient than a good old-fashioned schematic :)

Can't wait to receive my new switch + network card ! :D

Cheers from Switzerland!!

Thomas

EDIT :

This is the first time my wife has been curious about receiving a hifi component. I'm not sure she really understands what it does, but she finds it to be a beautiful piece. A sheer simple beauty, like a pebble on a Lofoten beach.

1675508855672.png

Last edited:

SwissTom

Sep 30, 2021
Last edited:

Christiaan Punter

No Taiko Audio New Product summary PDF document for XDMS? ;) Preferably with a release date!
Actually, there is an extensive doc for XDMS as well which I upload frequently to Discord (where all the XDMS Alpha testers hang out:). See the latest one below.

Attachments

• XDMS Alpha Build 32 Changes and Known Issues.pdf
    272.3 KB · Views: 45
Reactions: DW101 and ctydwn

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Actually, there is an extensive doc for XDMS as well which I upload frequently to Discord (where all the XDMS Alpha testers hang out:). See the latest one below.
There is so much information/stuff/potential directions/ and I can go on. Overwhelming. Half this shit I don't even comprehend. Impressive the layers of knowledge/understanding that some of you have. For people like me I guess we just sit back and be like sheep. Wait until implementation and then understand application...

Reactions: ctydwn and dbeau

Di-fi

Feb 17, 2021
- As mentioned, I am worried about the riser cable aspect, and it seems that I have reason to. If you, or anyone else, happen to later on stumble across an “ok” cable-solution to this specific card I am all ears, to put it mildly. If not, perhaps a Taiko DAC in my server is not ment to be in my specific case.

@RGB. “ok” cable-solution ; maybe this is worth a look? Cables have EMI shielding and can be ordered to size in increments of 5 cm. You also choose the angle of the connector. So you can purchase the shortest feasible lenght. Any type of connectors and cable widths available. I ordered through eBay (only some types available) to save a little but at ADT WebSHOP all seems reasonably priced.

Attachments

• image_2023-02-04_103921459.png
    image_2023-02-04_103921459.png
    480.8 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Reactions: RGB. and oldmustang

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
At some point it will be interesting to see a diagram of the Taiko ecosystem.

It would be ideal to have some schematics illustrating the different possible combinations with Taiko products (Such as those illustrating the use of the switch)
This is great suggestion. I thought I was tracking the announcements but then they lost me with “modular”. Illustrations would help.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
This is great suggestion. I thought I was tracking the announcements but then they lost me with “modular”. Illustrations would help.

It would be a main carrier PCB with the controller/interface technology and power circuitry with a connector to which you can connect a daughter board.

The daughter board can then provide a variety of functions like:
-A DAC with analogue outputs
-AES/EBU, SPDIF, I2S outputs
-Custom interfaces like MSB Pro ISL
-Whatever else we can think off

Ackcheng

Dec 26, 2011
digitalroomcorrection.hk
Reactions: oldmustang

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
It would be a main carrier PCB with the controller/interface technology and power circuitry with a connector to which you can connect a daughter board.

The daughter board can then provide a variety of functions like:
-A DAC with analogue outputs
-AES/EBU, SPDIF, I2S outputs
-Custom interfaces like MSB Pro ISL
-Whatever else we can think off
Will the non modular TACDA board be discontinued when the modular one is released or do both run parallel?
Thx

Matt

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Will the non modular TACDA board be discontinued when the modular one is released or do both run parallel?
Thx

Matt

We will not release that but split it into a modular design. That actually has a minimal impact as we need to change a few other things anyway. The final design won’t have dip switches and other testing fixtures.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Sorry to make you repeat that, but thanks, that was helpful. Smart approach.

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
I have no idea what translates audibly from that beautiful piece, but my sense is that Taiko's ingenuity and products equate to the historically relatively little known artist working out of their small studio that has the promise to be remembered well into the arc of the future during this rapidly developing moment to define what is achievable by digital playback. really can’t wait to hear it.
I'd love to be working out of Emile's "small studio"! Can I crash on your couch, Emile? Just for a while?

Steve Z

Reactions: ctydwn and John T

John T

Feb 15, 2022
I'd love to be working out of Emile's "small studio"! Can I crash on your couch, Emile? Just for a while?

Steve Z
Tell me that wouldn't be a trip! Lots of INCOMING!! A little mouse sitting on one the the Extremes taking it all in...

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
We will not release that but split it into a modular design. That actually has a minimal impact as we need to change a few other things anyway. The final design won’t have dip switches and other testing fixtures.
I am more than willing to wait a while longer for a "single-purpose" or optimized DAC-only card with analog outputs. I know I and many other Extreme owners don't necessarily meet the profile or target audience for a DAC meant to compete with DACs in the $10-$20K range, but I am cautiously optimistic about the potential to replace what I currently have.

I like the modular concept and the Extreme already has many of the features that take expensive DACs out of the $20K range -- no-compromise chassis, vibration control, advanced software and operating system, obsessive attention to noise of all kinds, EMI/RFI control, and a killer power supply that will only get better with the Taiko BPS option.

Steve Z

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I am more than willing to wait a while longer for a "single-purpose" or optimized DAC-only card with analog outputs. I know I and many other Extreme owners don't necessarily meet the profile or target audience for a DAC meant to compete with DACs in the $10-$20K range, but I am cautiously about the potential to replace what I currently have.

I like the modular concept and the Extreme already has many of the features that take expensive DACs out of the $20K range -- no-compromise chassis, vibration control, advanced software and operating system, obsessive attention to noise of all kinds, EMI/RFI control, and a killer power supply that will only get better with the Taiko BPS option.

Steve Z
Let me understand....are you saying you will part with your Dcs stack for the PCIe on board DAC? My Horizon ain't going anywhere? Im in long for everything Taiko. I just can't buy into the on board DAC unless as I said before Emile can work his magic and have one with tubes ;)

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Can easily add Revanna module with Zman

I might be wrong, but afaik the Zman is a board for a Ravenna endpoint. Both Merging Anubis and Hapi Mk2 use it.

Matt

Reactions: oldmustang

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
HDPlex has a good quality riser cable if this is the way you want to pursue:

ADT-Link riser cards are decent too (provided you can navigate through the endless different models)

@RGB. “ok” cable-solution ; maybe this is worth a look? Cables have EMI shielding and can be ordered to size in increments of 5 cm. You also choose the angle of the connector. So you can purchase the shortest feasible lenght. Any type of connectors and cable widths available. I ordered through eBay (only some types available) to save a little but at ADT WebSHOP all seems reasonably priced.
ADT Link risers are pretty good! You need some patience with customer support when not sure what to order (the portfolio is HUGE).

Reactions: RGB.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing