Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

SK8

Jan 16, 2023
- As mentioned, I am worried about the riser cable aspect, and it seems that I have reason to. If you, or anyone else, happen to later on stumble across an “ok” cable-solution to this specific card I am all ears, to put it mildly. If not, perhaps a Taiko DAC in my server is not ment to be in my specific case.
HDPlex has a good quality riser cable if this is the way you want to pursue:

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
A riser cable will do fine, we have incorporated a PCIe retimer. We‘re working on a multitude of interface options. In fact we have just decided to design a modular version to be able to accommodate a wide range of interface options at a reasonable price level. The interface section occupies 75% of the current card where the DAC / Analogue section occupies the remaining 25%. A different card for each option would make it very unaffordable (low qty per option).

Christiaan Punter

Please note that Emile's comment above pertains to both the TACDA and TACCD cards. While it is not confirmed which output formats will be added/supported, I can confirm that they will not have USB and as such will not substitute the Taiko Enhanced USB card.

Reactions: Armsan and DW101

jelt2359

Nov 17, 2020
A riser cable will do fine, we have incorporated a PCIe retimer. We‘re working on a multitude of interface options. In fact we have just decided to design a modular version to be able to accommodate a wide range of interface options at a reasonable price level. The interface section occupies 75% of the current card where the DAC / Analogue section occupies the remaining 25%. A different card for each option would make it very unaffordable (low qty per option).
That’s good news! Like @DW101 i am holding my breath for a dual BNC option.

Reactions: NanoSword and DW101

Christiaan Punter

Hi all, here are the latest versions of the Taiko Audio New Product summary PDF documents (Updated 06-02-2023)

- TACDA & TACDD DAC & Interface Summary
- Taiko Network Card & Switch Summary
- Taiko Router Summary

Attachments

• Taiko Network Card & Switch Summary_v15.pdf
    612 KB · Views: 58
  • Taiko Router Summary_v4.pdf
    391.3 KB · Views: 49
  • TACDA & TACDD DAC & Interface Summary_v10.pdf
    330.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Please note that Emile's comment above pertains to both the TACDA and TACCD cards. While it is not confirmed which output formats will be added/supported, I can confirm that they will not have USB and as such will not substitute the Taiko Enhanced USB card.
Christiaan,
IIUC, there will be then a card with both TACDA and TACDD outputs on one card?
Thx

Matt

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Hi Matt, at this point, this is not confirmed. Our first release, in any event, will be the TACDA card in non-modular form with analog RCA outputs and S/PDIF RCA, BNC, and TOSlink digital outputs.
And later on there will be a modular section on the TACDA card with the option of different outputs?
Thx

Matt

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Christiaan,
there is one point I don't understand. Emile mentioned in a former post that the TACDA card is fully packed on both sides because of the elaborate DAC. Now in the post above he mentioned a DAC area of 25% for the modular card. Does that mean that this card offers a somewhat lighter DAC version?
Thx again

Matt

Christiaan Punter

The DAC occupies 25% of the card. The more elaborate part is the interface. The DAC will be the same for the non-modular and modular versions.

The non-modular version has fixed analog RCA outputs and fixed digital S/PDIF RCA, BNC, and TOSlink outputs.

The Modular version would remove the fixed analog and S/PDIF outputs and substitute one of the below:

1) Analogue out
2) Generic S/PDIF, AES/EBU, I2s, or other digital formats
3) Custom output like MSB Pro ISL
4) New Taiko proprietary interface

RGB.

Apr 9, 2021
There is a Streacom case that can fit cards in a vertical position. I modified the FC10 and replaced the back panel to accommodate this. Have you tried that?
Thanks dminches,
For me equal, preferably slightly better, thermal properties than the HDPLEX H5v3 is a must for me to consider getting another chassis. I guess this is a sideways movement at best. But no need for a riser cable, with the right back plate, is indeed a good thing.

HDPlex has a good quality riser cable if this is the way you want to pursue:
I am aware of its existence but wasn’t aware that it was regarded good quality. Thanks SK8

Perhaps fis- ghent audio and/or others will start production of quality PCIe riser cables.

RGB.

Apr 9, 2021
Good to know Emile. Thanks.
I suppose getting the best possible riser cable eventually is a good thing nevertheless.

“The Modular version would remove the fixed analog and S/PDIF outputs and substitute one of the below: 1) Analogue out”
Would this (later) version of “Analogue out” possibly mean balanced out? For me, balanced output only is better than combined RCA and digital outputs. But perhaps that is not a common wish? (I understand that it creates more heat.)

“Powered via an internal DC power cable from the Extreme power supply”
I do not know the Voltage being fed from the Extreme. Perhaps the DC Voltage range to feed the card for non Extreme users eventually, will be revealed later.

RGB.

Apr 9, 2021
It operates on a 5V and 12V supply.

Perhaps it‘s time to share a photo of our first prototype:
PERFECT. Fed by a SJ double double regulated 5V, DC4 recap module, then I think, in my case.

CMON, is that a "prototype"! Looking goood already.

Still hoping for an XLR only, digital out not needed, "module". But one often can not have it all...

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi all, here are the latest versions of the Taiko Audio New Product summary PDF documents (Updated 03-02-2023)

- TACDA & TACDD DAC & Interface Summary
- Taiko Network Card & Switch Summary
- Taiko Router Summary

No Taiko Audio New Product summary PDF document for XDMS? ;) Preferably with a release date!

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Any future plans to reverse this allotment of space and offer an enhanced DAC card without having to devote so much space to interface options?

Steve

RGB.

Apr 9, 2021
Any future plans to reverse this allotment of space and offer an enhanced DAC card without having to devote so much space to interface options?
+1
You mention enhanced DAC, I hope for XLR based on the original plan (easily dropping digital out if needed). Not synonyms, but we are on a similar path. Analogue priority in one version of the PCIe

Last edited:

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
It operates on a 5V and 12V supply.

Perhaps it‘s time to share a photo of our first prototype:

View attachment 103915
I have no idea what translates audibly from that beautiful piece, but my sense is that Taiko's ingenuity and products equate to the historically relatively little known artist working out of their small studio that has the promise to be remembered well into the arc of the future during this rapidly developing moment to define what is achievable by digital playback. really can’t wait to hear it.

Last edited:

MusicFellow

Jan 3, 2022
Still hoping for an XLR only, digital out not needed, "module". But one often can not have it all...
Count me in for the XLR output Option. As Emile said a myriad of options wouldn‘t be economical due to lower volumes for each. But I‘d feel 2-3 versions (like the current one in planning, plus an additional all analog / xlr only (if that takes all the physical space), plus a third option with purely digital outputs) would be a good variety to choose from where say 90% of customers would find themselves happy with.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com

Steve

I‘m sure we can spend years cooking up all sorts of iterations & improvements, hence the decision to go modular now. This would also protect the value of the investment into the interface/controller technology which is by far the costliest part of the design.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing