Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Let me understand....are you saying you will part with your Dcs stack for the PCIe on board DAC? My Horizon ain't going anywhere? Im in long for everything Taiko. I just can't buy into the on board DAC unless as I said before Emile can work his magic and have one with tubes ;)
If the Taiko PCIe DAC board can give me the same emotional involvement with my music that the dCS stack currently does -- I'd part with the dCS in a heartbeat!

I'm in no way dissatisfied with the sonic performance of the dCS Vivaldi equipment and I'm even more in love with it sonically now that I have the APEX upgrade installed. I'm not married to it, or any other brand of equipment though.

If the Taiko DAC allows me to enjoy music as much as the dCS currently does, it would be very difficult to justify hanging onto the dCS, given the cost differential and what I could realize from selling the dCS, not to mention the power cords, clock cables, premium USB cable, AES/EBU cables, etc. It would be a very good way to fund the Taiko BPS as well as significantly simplifying my system.

Plus, the ongoing progression of musically significant upgrades from Taiko is positively light-speed compared to dCS' glacial pace of upgrades.

The proof of course will be in the listening.

Steve Z

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
What gives me cautious optimism, besides Emile and Taiko's track record to date is this quote from Emile not that long ago:

"Of paramount importance to me are PRAT, dynamic range, midrange saturation/density, naturalness and full scale/immersive sound staging. Secondary considerations are clarity, transparency and detail levels.”

Those sonic attributes are exactly the ones that matter most to me, as well. At a certain level the basic performance of well-designed DACs converges and what I listen for is the voicing, or nuance if you will of the DAC's analog performance. I can be very happy with a DAC that achieves Emile's sonic performance and priorities.

Fingers crossed!

Steve Z

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Here's a summary of posts made in this thread on that subject.
Thank you very much. Would the Horizon have to go in for hardware update?

RGB.

Apr 9, 2021
It would be a main carrier PCB with the controller/interface technology and power circuitry with a connector to which you can connect a daughter board.

The daughter board can then provide a variety of functions like:
-A DAC with analogue outputs
Non modular version
We will not release that but split it into a modular design. That actually has a minimal impact as we need to change a few other things anyway
Since the analogue output in this new modular layout no longer need to compete with digital outputs regarding available space, will it still be single ended output, or do you consider doubling up on some components (and accepting generating more heat) by going balanced output? Hope so :)
I do not know how big the daughter board is, but hoping for a bit more area than the 25% DAC on the prototype PCIe.

Reactions: oldmustang

Christiaan Punter

Hi All, here is a schematic representation of the TACDA PCIe card in its initially proposed fixed-output guise,
and in its revised Modular guise. Note that, for the analog output option, the DAC itself will be contained on the Daughter Board.

TACDA Diagram.png

Last edited:

Christiaan Punter

Non modular version

Since the analogue output in this new modular layout no longer need to compete with digital outputs regarding available space, will it still be single ended output, or do you consider doubling up on some components (and accepting generating more heat) by going balanced output? Hope so :)
I do not know how big the daughter board is, but hoping for a bit more area than the 25% DAC on the prototype PCIe.
Please note that we will no longer issue the non-modular version. The TACDA will by definition be Modular, and the analog output version will have the DAC sit on the modular Daughter board.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Hi All, here is a schematic representation of the TACDA PCIe card in its initially proposed fixed-output guise,
and in its revised Modular guise. Note that, for the analog output option, the DAC itself will be contained on the Daughter Board.

View attachment 104080
Congrats, really great design :cool:

Matt

Reactions: Taiko Audio

SwissTom

Sep 30, 2021
The TACDA will by definition be Modular, and the analog output version will have the DAC sit on the modular Daughter board.
Given the direction in which the platform is heading, wouldn't it be appropriate to revisit the name?

Something simple and generic like :

Taiko Audio CPU Direkt
or
Taiko Audio CPU Direkt Interface/Platform

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...yeah, TACDA is a mouthful. TaikoDirect2Digital
Taiko Next Gen
I hear-by waive any and all claims to the aforementioned naming rights.

Reactions: John T

Christiaan Punter

Given the direction in which the platform is heading, wouldn't it be appropriate to revisit the name?

Something simple and generic like :

Taiko Audio CPU Direkt
or
Taiko Audio CPU Direkt Interface/Platform
I'm not sure if we should change the name of the current thread but it might indeed be a good idea to start a new thread for the TACDA/TACDD, but that's something to consider for later when we're closer to launch and have more info to share.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I have a posted a Taiko Audio Extreme Server 4 TB w/Extreme USB Output for sale in the classifieds if anyone is interested:

SwissTom

Sep 30, 2021
I'm not sure if we should change the name of the current thread but it might indeed be a good idea to start a new thread for the TACDA/TACDD, but that's something to consider for later when we're closer to launch and have more info to share.
I share your opinion. It would probably be a good idea to have a thread for each Taiko Audio product.

- Taiko Extreme
- Taiko Switch and Router
- Taiko CPU Direct Platform (or interface)

For new customers the information would be easier to find. For existing customers, the information would be easier to find... as well ;-)

EDIT :
Just to clarify, I was referring to the name of the PCIe card, not the name of the thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: VPN and John T

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain

View attachment 104080
So the new PCI modular card will have an output (connector to be revealed) for the new Taiko proprietary interface and also the daughter card connector with different outputs to choose from. Correct?

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
So the new PCI modular card will have an output (connector to be revealed) for the new Taiko proprietary interface and also the daughter card connector with different outputs to choose from. Correct?
IIUC, only the daughter boards will have outputs.

Matt

RGB.

Apr 9, 2021
Please note that we will no longer issue the non-modular version. The TACDA will by definition be Modular, and the analog output version will have the DAC sit on the modular Daughter board.
Hi Christiaan,
That is based on my two quotes put together, without the Taiko quote in between about not releasing the non modular TACDA, so yes I’m aware. But better safe than sorry. Thanks.

My post was all about if the new modular analogue only version will free up balanced component space, due to the lack of digital out. I got that answer later in your schematic representation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Christiaan Punter

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
Had my brother-in-law over for a visit this weekend. His first time on XDMS. He grabbed the ipad from me and spent the next 1.5-2 hours listening to various songs from Qobuz, Tidal and my library. Similar to @Rhapsody's experience, I did not have to tell him a thing and he would not have guessed this was an alpha version currently. He enjoyed the experience very much without any hiccups. Thought of this 730 page thread when he asked how a music 'server' and playback software can possibly improve SQ. Just saw that v34 has been pushed! got to go

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing