The Uptone Audio EtherRegen audiophile switch

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I wanted to wait at least 2 days and after 4-5 listening sessions to post my initial feedback.

The biggest difference I am noticing is a big drop in the noise floor. Whatever was there before is no longer masking some of the finer details in the music. While one can play the music lower because of this, I am finding that I want to play the music louder because it is that more pleasing and there is zero fatigue.

It goes without saying that the “bang for the buck” with the EtherREGEN is extremely high.

Anyone who is running Ethernet into either a DAC, server or end point could benefit by inserting one of these.
The lot to Hong Kong has arrived.
Will report here asap.

IMG-20191114-WA0129.jpg

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Copied from here:
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/taiko-audio-sgm-extreme-the-crème-de-la-crème.27433/page-74

First Uptone Ether Regen feedback from Hong Kong:

I just received my Uptone Ether Regen. It’s quite amazing. I swapped out my modified switch and tried the ER using (A) fibre optic output (Startech) to SGM. This was already better straight out of the box (quieter and better defined bass were immediate impressions). I then used the recommended (B) copper Ethernet output to SGM. Quieter still and better throughout the spectrum. Biggest improvement was clearer separation of instruments and soundstage. I could also hear instruments that used to come straight out of speakers to being positioned behind speakers to create better layering. I then wanted to try and connect from my router to my modified switch > ER (Fibre optic to (A)) > copper Ethernet to SGM. That test will have to wait.

I also tried the SOTM about two months ago. I tried single SOTM and stacked. Single ER definitely better than single but I can’t say single ER better than two stacked SOTM. They were different. I suspect stacking two ER will beat two SOTM.

Previous feedback on the SOTM:

Hi Emile - I went to the HK sotm dealer to try their SOtM sNH-10G Switch and A/B tested with my modified Switch. Their system used a sotm server. The SOtM Switch was quieter than my switch, and music was smoother, more detailed. Upon adding a second SOtM Switch (which they connected together using SOtM ethernet), the improvement was even more pronounced with instruments and vocals. I then had the SOtM switches in my home system and interestingly the improvement delta was much less. I suspect due to the isolation and other areas of optimisation in the Extreme.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Quite the audiophile bargain at c$500.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Reactions: Sablon Audio

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
Waiting for that dual EtheRegen (with clock) vs dual SOTM switch(with clock) showdown from Ckkeung.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Could you see this device as a future upgrade benefitting a quality entry priced streamer/dac option?

I'm looking at an unbelievably low priced R2R dac, and Innuos Zen Mini.

The EtherRegen would equate to half this budget again.

I could go dearer dac or Innuos Zenith on day one. But I like the idea of a creditable uber vfm package to start, and upgrade w this unit at a later date.

Does EtherRegen provide a bigger bang/buck than the same budget spent on a moderately pricier dac or streamer?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Waiting for that dual EtheRegen (with clock) vs dual SOTM switch(with clock) showdown from Ckkeung.

I am not sure why 2 EtherREGENs would be better than 1 but I guess we will see. I do wonder if the Uptone guys have tried this.

I don't know what the design of the SoTM switch is but the electronic moat in the EtherREGEN seems to clean things up the first time.

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
I am not sure why 2 EtherREGENs would be better than 1 but I guess we will see. I do wonder if the Uptone guys have tried this.

I don't know what the design of the SoTM switch is but the electronic moat in the EtherREGEN seems to clean things up the first time.
I think its just like dual usb reclocking. It will be less jitter.

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
Could you see this device as a future upgrade benefitting a quality entry priced streamer/dac option?

I could go dearer dac or Innuos Zenith on day one. But I like the idea of a creditable uber vfm package to start, and upgrade w this unit at a later date.

Does EtherRegen provide a bigger bang/buck than the same budget spent on a moderately pricier dac or streamer?
No Marc Spend on fundamental first. This device come last even after cable, maybe before anti vibration

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

Well, Paul Pang has the world's first QUAD switch. Why stop at one when four will do?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
No Marc Spend on fundamental first. This device come last even after cable, maybe before anti vibration
Oh sure, I get that. I'm very much a reluctant late "convert" to streaming, and having found this intriguing dac for $450 and the Innuos Zen Mini being so well regarded as a quality inexpensive streamer, and this hobby being predicated on upgrading/adding on, EtherRegen also at it's pricepoint as high quality/very affordable, seems like a logical evolution.

But I certainly get the spend the most you can at the outset mentality.

DelsFan

Nov 15, 2019

I think this is a tough call. Would you recommend one purchase a turntable, but wait until nearly the last in order to incorporate anything but the least expensive cartridge?
There is an argument to be made that a lower-priced system with the EtherREGEN - in theory delivering better/more information (via re-clocking) whilst eliminating background noise - would sound better than a higher-priced system whose DAC is struggling to "interpret" the muddled digital signal it is receiving. (I know, I know: digital is always perfect, so it cannot be improved upon. But if that is the case, we don't need this device in the first place...)

I don't know the exact answer. If there is a good used high-end market where you are, I'd consider the EtherREGEN as one of my first purchases along with some "good" used gear as opposed to doing nothing to clean up the incoming signal and buying new, budget-priced gear. Once you get into the better equipment, you should find most people have taken supreme care of whatever streamer/DAC/amplifier they are selling.

As for Ethernet cables, I read a review from the guy at Audio-Bacon extolling the (relative) virtues of the CAT8 Supra Ethernet cables made in Sweden and sold on ebay. In America, they have very quick delivery (from a distributor in Washington State). I use three of these based on this guy's review, because I haven't had time to do any comparison testing (other than they sound better than the cheapest (and pitiful) old CAT5 cables I had laying around), and because they are $60 US approx. rather than $100/each or $500/each like some other options. I'm waiting for my EtherREGEN to arrive and I'll do some "proper" testing after spending a couple of days with the new unit. For now, my take is, for a little money the CAT8 Supra cable is a relatively good and inexpensive way to improve the sound, as opposed to doing nothing.

A couple of things I MIGHT remember reading on the Audiophile Style forum about the EtherREGEN:
- While doing re-clocking a second time may (or may not) help the sound - assuming one wants to try dual EtherREGEN units in series - I believe the general thought is that A LOT of the improvement will come from using just one EtherREGEN.
- They have tested the EtherREGEN with linear power supplies - they MAKE several really good ones themselves, so I'm sure they would be glad to sell you/us one - but their claim is the switching power supply they furnish with the EtherREGEN delivers very close to the same quality sound as when utilizing one of their linear power supplies.

Reactions: Superdad

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Although the lot of ER group-purchased by mu frds and I has arrived, we don't have time to arrange a gathering yet.

Three of them had a very brief listen and some preliminary views.
However I think all audio equipment need some burn-in before we can make reliable assessment.
I have asked them to keep their ER in use for a few days first.

Or do WBF brothers want me to tell us the prelim impressions of my frds on ER?

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
Hi CK,
My humble request, during the A/B could you be specific in letting us know the soTm switch specs. Reason being, mine was sent back to soTm for the upgrade to Evox caps and silver wiring with the ebs film. I am curious to see if the highest speced soTm switch does a better job or the ER.
Also, what if a ER and soTm switch are used in tandem. Thank you sir.

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
Hi CK,
My humble request, during the A/B could you be specific in letting us know the soTm switch specs. Reason being, mine was sent back to soTm for the upgrade to Evox caps and silver wiring with the ebs film. I am curious to see if the highest speced soTm switch does a better job or the ER.
Also, what if a ER and soTm switch are used in tandem. Thank you sir.
I think that’s an interesting question....also in which order SoTM —-ER or the reverse. . Sometimes its quite fun, being anal. ;)

Reactions: Abyss Man

Esotar

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
South Korea
www.digituslabs.kr
EtherRegen output is only RJ45 port???

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
EtherRegen output is only RJ45 port???

No.

The EtherREGEN works in either direction. The key is to only have one connection on the "clean side."

For example, you can fill all the RJ45 and optical ports on side "A" and have 1 RJ45 on side "B" (the clean side). Or, you can connect 1 RJ45 on the "B" side and either an RJ45 or an optical on the "A" side (clean side).

Thus, you can go in either direction but if you go "B" -> "A" you can only use 1 port on that side, either RJ45 or optical.

I hope this was clear.

Reactions: Superdad

pleroma

Jul 7, 2018
I've posted a few times about my new ER on the AS forum, and thought I'd drop over hear and see what folks are saying. ER is one of the reasons I kept my Renderer instead of trading for the Pro-USB. So I love the sound, super clean choral and solo work now listening to an SACD rip of Carmina Burana by Richard Cooke/RPO.

I saw a few posts already talking about tweaks. I'm interested in ideas for some kind of vibration control/draining device beneath it. She runs hot because she is hot.

EDIT: but also super clean instrumental work, now listening to an SACD rip of Ansermet's last Firebird with the New Philharmonia from the new Tower Japan collection. Who needs concerts anymore? :)

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing