tima's DIY RCM

shadowlight

Oct 27, 2016
I think I found the problem on why I am getting such a high PPM measurement. I somehow ordered wrong wetting agent. I ordered Ilford Ilfostop instead of the Ilford Ilfotop. When I measure just the Ilfostop I was geting measurement in the 500 range. I will order the correct wetting agent.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
additionally drain valve of the tank should be replaced with a non corrosive one cause it becomes rusty very fast. after 6 months mine became rusty. there are different types of distilled water and I think the one we need should have 0 micro siemens conductivity which is basically battery water.

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
So then:

I have:
1. USM machine
2. a record turner (if that's what you call it)
3. Isopropyl 70 and 90%
4. Tergitol
5. A quat cleaner - really hard to find in the UK BTW

I have made myself a support that allows reecords to dry - multiple in fact

I happen to also have a disco antistat.

I do not have the water pump yet, however, I have a spare brita water filter jug and propose to filter every 8 records

CAn i ask this question:

1. at 70% how much per litre of distilled watere
2. at 90% how much - presumably 20% less
3. do i just wash (with all the ingredients) then dry? or
4. wash in the full mixture - then pour distilled water at the end?
5. is it isopropyl clean? then with quat ? then rinse with tergitol and distilled water

Thanks

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
So then:

I have:
1. USM machine
2. a record turner (if that's what you call it)
3. Isopropyl 70 and 90%
4. Tergitol
5. A quat cleaner - really hard to find in the UK BTW

I have made myself a support that allows reecords to dry - multiple in fact

I happen to also have a disco antistat.

I do not have the water pump yet, however, I have a spare brita water filter jug and propose to filter every 8 records

CAn i ask this question:

1. at 70% how much per litre of distilled watere
2. at 90% how much - presumably 20% less
3. do i just wash (with all the ingredients) then dry? or
4. wash in the full mixture - then pour distilled water at the end?
5. is it isopropyl clean? then with quat ? then rinse with tergitol and distilled water

Thanks

Hi Loheswaran,

Changing tank water every 8 records is very good. I don't know the Brita filter so cannot comment. However, if you're using distilled water in your tank - strongly recommended - you do not need to filter it if you change the tank water with that frequency.

I recommend using 99.9% pure isopropyl alcohol (IPA). My choice is the MG Chemicals brand, which is available from Amazon and elsewhere.

Re your questions 1 & 2:
The solution I use includes: ~312 ml (1.3 cups) of 99.9% IPA into ~12.75 liters (3.36 gallons) of distilled water. I also include ~16ml (0.9 tablespoons) of Ilford Ilfotol instead of Tergitol. I'll let you adjust that for your own tank capacity.

If you want to use Tergitol, the recommendation is for Tergitol 15-S-9. That is similar to Ilford Ilfotol.
Cf. post #102. I don't know the amount as I've never used it.

Re your items 3 - 5:
I do not use a quat because most of them have too much residue as measured with a TDS meter. If you are changing tank solution every 8 records you shouldn't need to worry about disinfecting the solution.

I wash with the above mixture then air dry.

Tergitol 15-S-9 and Ilfotol can leave a residue. With the amount I'm using I don't consider that a factor. Or put differently, I'm satisfied with the clean I get without rinsing. However, I will not say 'don't rinse' - it cannot hurt. The only downside I see is the added time it would take given my setup and the risk that comes with further manual handling of the records. In the future I plan to experiment with automated rinsing.

What ultrasonic tank do you have and which record turner (rotisserie)?

Rgds,
tima

Reactions: Loheswaran

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
Hi Loheswaran,

Changing tank water every 8 records is very good. I don't know the Brita filter so cannot comment. However, if you're using distilled water in your tank - strongly recommended - you do not need to filter it if you change the tank water with that frequency.

I recommend using 99.9% pure isopropyl alcohol (IPA). My choice is the MG Chemicals brand, which is available from Amazon and elsewhere.

Re your questions 1 & 2:
The solution I use includes: ~312 ml (1.3 cups) of 99.9% IPA into ~12.75 liters (3.36 gallons) of distilled water. I also include ~16ml (0.9 tablespoons) of Ilford Ilfotol instead of Tergitol. I'll let you adjust that for your own tank capacity.

If you want to use Tergitol, the recommendation is for Tergitol 15-S-9. That is similar to Ilford Ilfotol.
Cf. post #102. I don't know the amount as I've never used it.

Re your items 3 - 5:
I do not use a quat because most of them have too much residue as measured with a TDS meter. If you are changing tank solution every 8 records you shouldn't need to worry about disinfecting the solution.

I wash with the above mixture then air dry.

Tergitol 15-S-9 and Ilfotol can leave a residue. With the amount I'm using I don't consider that a factor. Or put differently, I'm satisfied with the clean I get without rinsing. However, I will not say 'don't rinse' - it cannot hurt. The only downside I see is the added time it would take given my setup and the risk that comes with further manual handling of the records. In the future I plan to experiment with automated rinsing.

What ultrasonic tank do you have and which record turner (rotisserie)?

Rgds,
tima

Hi Tima

I just got a 6l 40khz cleaner - it also allows me to drain (once i rig up a pump cleansing system...)

this was the turning rack from ebay:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6L-Ultra...815987?hash=item46b4ba4133:g:xfMAAOSwEPtfV2ey

I hope i am breaching no rules

It's actually very solidly machined from aluminium

_________

I hope you don't mind tima - but I wanted to ask - some recommend a Quat cleaner for the gunk in the grooves - how about a two stage approach

1. Quat cleaner
2. your solution
3. dry as you have said?

I will post pics soon

CAn i just say the guy who gacve me the quat was a UK importer - really decent guy - gave it for free...

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I hope you don't mind tima - but I wanted to ask - some recommend a Quat cleaner for the gunk in the grooves - how about a two stage approach

1. Quat cleaner
2. your solution
3. dry as you have said?

While some quat may have surfactant properties they are intended as disenfectants not cleaners. What I don't know is about any possible interaction between the quat and the surfactants. Nonetheless, two separate runs with separate solutions should not hurt as long as the second cleaning comes after using the quat.

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
While some quat may have surfactant properties they are intended as disenfectants not cleaners. What I don't know is about any possible interaction between the quat and the surfactants. Nonetheless, two separate runs with separate solutions should not hurt as long as the second cleaning comes after using the quat.
Thanks

Reactions: tima

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
So then all - did my first 20 records:

1. 7ml 256 QUAT in 5l water 20 mins
2. Isoppropyl 100ml to 5l with 5ml ilfotel 20 mins
all at 40 degrees celcius

Aftere 10 records I used a Brita filter jug to clean up the solutions.

I was taken aback with how murky my Quat solution looked after 20 mins even with new records...

BTW what sleeves does everyone go for?

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
So then all - did my first 20 records:

1. 7ml 256 QUAT in 5l water 20 mins
2. Isoppropyl 100ml to 5l with 5ml ilfotel 20 mins
all at 40 degrees celcius

Aftere 10 records I used a Brita filter jug to clean up the solutions.

I was taken aback with how murky my Quat solution looked after 20 mins even with new records...

BTW what sleeves does everyone go for?

What are your cleaning results?

Wrt wrappers, I use 'Diskeeper 2.0' sleeves and 'Ultimate Outer 5.0', both from Sleeve City.

I put the original record sleeve in its cover. I put the Ultimate Outer, with its opening facing up, over the cover. I put the record in the Diskeeper sleeve with its opening facing sideways between the record cover and the outer jacket. Makes pulling the record out real simple and no handling the record cover.

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
I've been doing cleaning but no beefore and after as yet - the records are visibly blacker - a bit odd to say - I know.

On the Sleeve front I lost my NAgaoka sleeves - so I bought a copy of them at a 3rd of the price and you can't tell the difference - a fool and his money...

I am gonna do a bit of before and after with some new records first.

I am thinking about an initial whizz through my humble Disco Antistat for the old records/second hand ones before I go through the rest of the process.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I am thinking about an initial whizz through my humble Disco Antistat for the old records/second hand ones before I go through the rest of the process.

Fwiw - According to Ilford, Ilfotol can be used as an anti-static treatment. Cleaning records with Ilfotol in solution should have that effect.

Cf. page 4 of attached PDF

Attachments

• ILFORD Technical Datasheet Ilfotol.pdf
    104.4 KB · Views: 2

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
Hi Tima

Quick update i nrespect of your question regarding results.

I decided to listen to a brand new record from my Pink Floyd Echoes box set. I wanted to know how good it was on a new record. It was intriguing to say the least.

It just simply revealed the quiet parts in the recording better. An aural equivalent as lens sharpening.

I wasn't using a fancy cartridge - just a Denon DL103R

What I noticed was that there was no grunge on the stylus at the end of play...

I'm most pleased indeedy :)

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Hi Tima

Quick update i nrespect of your question regarding results.

I decided to listen to a brand new record from my Pink Floyd Echoes box set. I wanted to know how good it was on a new record. It was intriguing to say the least.

It just simply revealed the quiet parts in the recording better. An aural equivalent as lens sharpening.

I wasn't using a fancy cartridge - just a Denon DL103R

What I noticed was that there was no grunge on the stylus at the end of play...

I'm most pleased indeedy :)

Hi - That's great! Glad to learn of your progress.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing