Totaldac Reference D1

fizzletop

Feb 6, 2013
No, Adam didn't have the TotalDAC reclocker or server (which includes the reclocker) on hand for us to compare against the Berkerley or Soulution. It's impossible to make an accurate call, but in my system I think the overall digital source performance exceeds what I recall from Adam's Windows Server/Soulution/TotalDAC D1 setup. In other words, the TotalDAC reclocker in my humble opinion is at least as good as the Soulution...FWIW I think it's better!

Are you saying you like the Soulution converter better than the one in the total Dac server?

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
Yes. I did compare the Berkeley with the MIT oracle ma-x AES cable against the Digital D1 reclocker with same cable. The D1 is better. I remember everything sounded calmer, more relax and natural. Sorry, I don't have better details. I don't think you would be sorry you did it.

just ordered D1 Reclocker.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
Just arrived the Reclocker.

IMG_4143.jpg

I have the Totaldac USB cable too. Still use for test the Ridge Street Audio Alethias USB cable.

First remarks: music is flowing with more sense of naturalness. The extreme detail of the Berkeley Alpha USB is retained, but with an apparent simplicity and sweetness, adding harmonics makes the details more vivid.

D1 DAC and Reclocker gives a great sense of completeness that makes listening a real emotion .

Last edited:

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
That's consistent with what I heard. I would say the d1 digital was as significant an upgrade as the d1 monoblocs. Before I had the d1 digital I told Vincent I thought it was overpriced for what it was. After I heard it, I admitted I was wrong. :)

Just arrived the Reclocker.

View attachment 12739

I have the Totaldac USB cable too. Still use for test the Ridge Street Audio Alethias USB cable.

First remarks: music is flowing with more sense of naturalness. The extreme detail of the Berkeley Alpha USB is retained, but with an apparent simplicity and sweetness, adding harmonics makes the details more vivid.

D1 DAC and Reclocker gives a great sense of completeness that makes listening a real emotion .

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
caliaripaolo - I'm sorry I was not ably to answer your earlier question about BADA/TotalDAC comparo, but I was extremely busy at work for the past 3 months. But from what I just read, you answered your question yourself :)

My impressions mirror yours - BADA seems to be more transparent if slightly thin, TotalDAC on the other hand is not as open on top but has much more body and texture.

The body and texture thing is something that in my experience sets apart the TotalDAC from other hi-end DACs like MSB, Scarlatti and BADA.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Thought I would share my experience...I have recently added a TotalDAC D2, Server/Reclocker plus various bits and pieces (USB filter, SDD NAS, router) to my system. The DAC was first in place and its certainly very good. It gets special with the addition of the reclocker which makes a nice improvement. The Cubox server side took some tweaking and didn't work out of box...I've recently got things working. The TD server is also a significant improvement over my notebook running JRiver (although JRiver is WAY nicer to use than Mpad!). So, with the full TD experience now in place, I'm very happy. I've auditioned a significant number of contenders and my preference led me to TotalDAC. I would really like to acknowedge and thank Adam (Elberoth on this forum) for his wonderful hospitality...I visited him several months ago and we spent some time together and A/B'd the MSB stack and TotalDAC. These are both great options and it comes down to personal preference. As it happens, he prefers MSB, I prefer TD. In Adam's system we also clearly heard the importance of the USB converter (in this case it was Berkerley and Soulution). Both were a clear improvement with the Soulution the winner (we both agreed on this point!).

Although TD are a small operation Vincent has been very responsive and helpful...I highly recommend TD. Cheers, Nigel

Nigel - it was my pleasure to host you at my place. I'm glad to learn you finally settled on the TotalDAC. It is a great DAC by any measure.

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
caliaripaolo - I'm sorry I was not ably to answer your earlier question about BADA/TotalDAC comparo, but I was extremely busy at work for the past 3 months. But from what I just read, you answered your question yourself :)

My impressions mirror yours - BADA seems to be more transparent if slightly thin, TotalDAC on the other hand is not as open on top but has much more body and texture.

The body and texture thing is something that in my experience sets apart the TotalDAC from other hi-end DACs like MSB, Scarlatti and BADA.

Thanks I understand.
Yes indeed, the D1 DAC-Reclocker combo is really amazing. The main characteristic could be summarized on "refined sound".
More and more now I can hear exactly the different layers of orchestral components. I never feel to be fatigued by the increments of volume. The Reclocker is not detailed as well as Berkeley USB. It is more detailed, in the sense which you can hear all the associated armonics around instruments. Meantimes I agree with Michael which Alpha USB is a great item and Serious project.

Alexis

Mar 3, 2013
Thanks I understand.
Yes indeed, the D1 DAC-Reclocker combo is really amazing. The main characteristic could be summarized on "refined sound".
More and more now I can hear exactly the different layers of orchestral components. I never feel to be fatigued by the increments of volume. The Reclocker is not detailed as well as Berkeley USB. It is more detailed, in the sense which you can hear all the associated armonics around instruments. Meantimes I agree with Michael which Alpha USB is a great item and Serious project.

and now....the totaldac server... amazing...http://www.audiostream.com/content/totaldac-d1-server

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
Last edited:

Worldcat

May 30, 2012
Wish there was someone who has heard the Lampizator Big 6 or L7 and compared to totaldac dual-1! I am looking at trying a Lampit soon.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Wish there was someone who has heard the Lampizator Big 6 or L7 and compared to totaldac dual-1! I am looking at trying a Lampit soon.

Please post if you do.

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
Amsterdam, The Netherlands

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
can the D1 be connected to a standard external clock ? I am thinking about an active system with multiple DACs in parallel and my custom server / digital XO, all synched by a single clock. I don't see a standard clock input on the back panel.

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
can the D1 be connected to a standard external clock ? I am thinking about an active system with multiple DACs in parallel and my custom server / digital XO, all synched by a single clock. I don't see a standard clock input on the back panel.

I do not think could be possible, but Vincent can answer better than me.

john925

May 3, 2013

Vincent told me the frequency has to be 22.5M or 24.5M for the external clock.

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Thank you to all of you for the feedbacks about the sound of the Totaldac DACs and transports.

The Totaldac DACs have no external clock input because a specific clock is made inside the DAC and controls the FIFO memory, so the Totaldac DACs include a clock but it is built in the same enclosure.
The clock inside the Totaldac has for me a better sound than many clocks commonly found in external clocks. It is like distortion, the sound is not much due to the quantity but to the spectrum and other characteristics, hard to predict but easy to listen to.
When a system is made using several DAC enclosures, like a 4 way active system or the d1-monobloc DAC, the clock from one of the enclosures is sent to the other enclosures to make a perfect synchronisation between all the DACs.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing