Trinity DAC

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Nice, Jazzhead! I have had good experiences with 'isolation sandwiches'.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Nice !

What are you using as a source ?

Do you use any power conditioning ?

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Nice !

What are you using as a source ?

Do you use any power conditioning ?

The Stahl Tek Opus CDT via AES , so not optimum as am not still utilizing the uber clocks within the Trinity . I did briefly try my McBook Pro , attached via an el cheapO printer cable . The potential was evident , so will work at having a go with a dedicated server .

Using the Gigawatt Evo PC4 , not their older transformer based desgin . This is more filter based , so no active conditioning . Just isolated filters optimized for Digital, Analog and High Current .

I see two clock buffers at the rear 44.1x512 and 48x512 , any idea how they are to be utilized ?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I believe those clock outputs are only for factory calibration.

The Trinity is very sensitive to USB signal quality ... unfortunately. It may take a considerable effort to better your StahlTek transport. When using the AES/SPDIF inputs, the Trinity clock is also used, although with a required PLL loop, which somehow degrades its performance, introducing some additional jitter.

I always recommend using the Trinity gear with some kind of filtering, due to the SMPS used. They must be putting some noise back to the AC line, as running the DAC through a simple filter in my case greatly improved the SQ.

Dietmar disagreed with me, insisting that it the other gear that is not properly engineered, if it is sensitive to HF noise on the AC line. He may have a point, but unfortunately, we do not live in a perfect world, not everyone has a full Trinity setup that is immune to AC line quality. I think that most ppl will use it with different amps, preamps etc.

Recently he introduced his own AC filter, which probably mean that more ppl have indicated this problem.

But if you have the Gigawatt, then you are covered.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Thanks for the feedback , any server recommendations ? The Trinity server is spendy , the optical retrofit is said to better matters though. Been looking at the belt drive CEC TL 03 transport , any experience with it ?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland

murrayp

Mar 1, 2012
Hi there,
I use the Aurender N10 with the Trinity via USB - without any compatibility problem. I tried the N10 via AES/EBU too but couldn't hear any difference. I find the sound hard to criticise really. It is certainly better than USB from my laptop. The rest of my kit is a passive pre, TAD M600 amps and Ref 1 speakers fed by a Gigawatt PC4. Cables are all Townshend.

The N10 has also given me the best sound I have achieved from my other set up - a Devialet 250 - but then it sounded best via AES/EBU rather than USB - which I guess points to the relative qualities of the various inputs.

Previously I had a X100 too - it too was excellent and since I swapped to the N10 I really don't know if the N10 is any better on USB or not - both have given me results that I have not achieved from any other digital source and i strongly recommend the products.

Hope that helps.

Murray

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Hi there,
I use the Aurender N10 with the Trinity via USB - without any compatibility problem. I tried the N10 via AES/EBU too but couldn't hear any difference. I find the sound hard to criticise really. It is certainly better than USB from my laptop. The rest of my kit is a passive pre, TAD M600 amps and Ref 1 speakers fed by a Gigawatt PC4. Cables are all Townshend.

The N10 has also given me the best sound I have achieved from my other set up - a Devialet 250 - but then it sounded best via AES/EBU rather than USB - which I guess points to the relative qualities of the various inputs.

Previously I had a X100 too - it too was excellent and since I swapped to the N10 I really don't know if the N10 is any better on USB or not - both have given me results that I have not achieved from any other digital source and i strongly recommend the products.

Hope that helps.

Murray

Murray, thanks for the feedback . Am currently feeding my T DAC via AES from the Stahl Opus CDT . Recently upgraded my Power cord on the CDT to the Stage 3 Concept Leviathan , that's upped SQ and then some . Will at some point have a check in on the Aurrender , happy for now ... Enjoying a very gratifying listen . Cheers .

Esotar

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
South Korea
www.digituslabs.kr
Trinity DAC.jpg

I also bought Trinity DAC two days ago.

Super ultra absolute Fatastic~!!!!

Therefore it makes perfect harmony with Ayre KX-R Twenty~!!

By the way Trinity DAC is used with Esoteric G-01 Master Clock Generator?

I had not used rubidium clock.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
I have decided to sell my Trinity combo - Trinity dac as well as Trinity pc&drive. People who are seriously interested can pm me. Both units are in pristine condition.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Gentlemen, what's up with this DAC? Seems like everyone who has had it has sold it.

It's been out about 3 years, if truly "the best", have competitors reverse engineered this and caught up? Anyone surpass?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Gentlemen, what's up with this DAC? Seems like everyone who has had it has sold it.

It's been out about 3 years, if truly "the best", have competitors reverse engineered this and caught up? Anyone surpass?

no. the Trinity dac is still as good as it gets as a PCM up to 192/24 bit dac....and likely better than any.

besides the price of admission, it's only lacking in that it won't accept dsd in any form, and won't do dxd (and I've heard nothing about planned addition of dxd). in other words, it's real world for the vast majority of high enders especially in Asia.

it small form factor and included 'uber' clocks eliminate the need for multiple boxes.

if dsd or dxd is not important....there is no better mousetrap out there at any price.

you can come at PCM from the dsd side with HQ Player with a product like the SGM server and get something a bit different than the Trinity dac. but that is a different thing than the best possible PCM dac.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012

Have it and will for the foreseeable future . Grain less , fluid ,and above all musical . Pair it with its matching pre to take it a few notches up , now only if I could lay my grubby paws on the power amps !

caesar

May 30, 2010
Have it and will for the foreseeable future . Grain less , fluid ,and above all musical . Pair it with its matching pre to take it a few notches up , now only if I could lay my grubby paws on the power amps !

Jazzhead, thank you for chiming in. Great to hear!

Have you had the curiousity / time / will to compare it the uber-priced MSB?

Namaste

Feb 20, 2013

What are you waiting for, Jazzhead? The best amps I've heard by a country mile!

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
There are a couple of Sound Galleries Music Server owners with the Trinity DAC. They are getting great sonic results with the SGM doing 16/44 upsampling to 24/176 using Roon & HQ Player, and also DXD down sampling and DSD downsampling

The Trinity DAC is absolutely competitive with the best PCM we have heard

Enatai252

Mar 2, 2013
Pacific NW
Fall out with the manufacturer. Still the best pcm sound I have heard.

Any interest in sharing what is on your short list for replacing the Trinity. I believe it was in a separate system from your Lampi

It is interesting that all of the most vocal supporters have since moved on....all for different and valid reasons but moved on nonetheless

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing