Zero Distortion: Tango Time

Are some master tapes recorded with the RIAA curve?

No, RIAA is an LP equalization not a tape equalization. The RIAA equalization is carried during the cutting - what we usually call vinyl tapes are copies of the mastertapes, mastered to compensate for the physical drawbacks of vinyl cutting and playback.

It is possible to have the three switchable equalizations (NAB, IEC and RIAA ) in one device - see http://vinylsavor.blogspot.com/2014/01/riaa-nab-iec-equalisation.html

It is a pity that the best moving coil phonos do not include such feature - for me it would be much more useful than three types of vinyl equalizations. I considered modifying the Audio Research Phono3, but never had the courage to do it!

No, RIAA is an LP equalization not a tape equalization. The RIAA equalization is carried during the cutting - what we usually call vinyl tapes are copies of the mastertapes, mastered to compensate for the physical drawbacks of vinyl cutting and playback.

It is possible to have the three switchable equalizations (NAB, IEC and RIAA ) in one device - see http://vinylsavor.blogspot.com/2014/01/riaa-nab-iec-equalisation.html

It is a pity that the best moving coil phonos do not include such feature - for me it would be much more useful than three types of vinyl equalizations. I considered modifying the Audio Research Phono3, but never had the courage to do it!

EMT, my Allnic 7000v, FM acoustics all have it. The now no more produced AMR ph77 let you do it by remote. Phasemation and a small Italian company run by a guy called Fabio, whose phono I compared to FM 123 and Thrax and audio tekne, have a couple of major curves like Decca and Columbia. Thoress has an equalizer rather than a phono EQ curve. But I have compared with and without on many of these, and the main difference is on vintage monos which you don't appreciate.

Ps: my Allnic 7000v is up for sale for anyone interested at 8k euro (retail is 2k higher for the V model with EQ, mine also comes with the KR 5u4g that makes it sound significantly better than the 25 k trulife (had compared the 3000 not the 7000) the zesto, and on par with Ypsilon (ypsilon has a more transparent cleaner high, Allnic has better dynamic contrast and flow once you swap the rectifier).

I am planning to use the money to compare horn drivers, bored of analog now that is so last 4 years. Need a new hobby

Ps: my Allnic 7000v is up for sale for anyone interested at 8k euro (retail is 2k higher for the V model with EQ, mine also comes with the KR 5u4g that makes it sound significantly better than the 25 k trulife (had compared the 3000 not the 7000) the zesto, and on par with Ypsilon (ypsilon has a more transparent cleaner high, Allnic has better dynamic contrast and flow once you swap the rectifier).

I am planning to use the money to compare horn drivers, bored of analog now that is so last 4 years. Need a new hobby
For gods sakes don’t leave us Ked ! Who’s going to talk Marc down
when he is in a Manic phase o_O
On second thought, he is always in a Manic state, maybe he is just to easily
excitable ;)

Last edited:

I didn't say I was leaving the hobby of exchanging repartee with a few people here. Just want to compare horn drivers now and associated stuff.

Reactions: Lagonda
Ps: my Allnic 7000v is up for sale for anyone interested at 8k euro (retail is 2k higher for the V model with EQ, mine also comes with the KR 5u4g that makes it sound significantly better than the 25 k trulife (had compared the 3000 not the 7000) the zesto, and on par with Ypsilon (ypsilon has a
Lagonda, in terms of getting me to come down from that rooftop when I'm dusted, you and Ked are good cop/bad cop, respectively. And Ked can be very bad indeed.

Reactions: bonzo75 and Lagonda
I didn't say I was leaving the hobby of exchanging repartee with a few people here. Just want to compare horn drivers now and associated stuff.
Thank god ! :)

Lagonda, in terms of getting me to come down from that rooftop when I'm dusted, you and Ked are good cop/bad cop, respectively.

So we agree who is the bad guy

Bad to the bone.

Reactions: Lagonda
EMT, my Allnic 7000v, FM acoustics all have it. The now no more produced AMR ph77 let you do it by remote. Phasemation and a small Italian company run by a guy called Fabio, whose phono I compared to FM 123 and Thrax and audio tekne, have a couple of major curves like Decca and Columbia. Thoress has an equalizer rather than a phono EQ curve. But I have compared with and without on many of these, and the main difference is on vintage monos which you don't appreciate.

Do you know if the EMT, my Allnic 7000v, FM phono stages have the signal to noise needed to connect to the head of a tape machine? Most of the time they handle low output MCs using transformers. And I could not see any reference to NAB/IEC on their manuals.

My interest for the Audio Research phono units was due to their very good signal to noise ratio in high gain - in this mode they are hybrid, with FET inputs.

Do you know if the EMT, my Allnic 7000v, FM phono stages have the signal to noise needed to connect to the head of a tape machine? Most of the time they handle low output MCs using transformers. And I could not see any reference to NAB/IEC on their manuals.

My interest for the Audio Research phono units was due to their very good signal to noise ratio in high gain - in this mode they are hybrid, with FET inputs.

my original King Cello had a 'phono' position so one could choose IEC, NAB, or Phono RIAA. and it was a pretty good phono stage as i did use it that way with the EMT tt for awhile. with the new meters and pots we eliminated that choice.

you might contact Charles King (member name--stellavox) about how to add tape EQ to a phono stage. he might have some good ideas.

my original King Cello had a 'phono' position so one could choose IEC, NAB, or Phono RIAA. and it was a pretty good phono stage as i did use it that way with the EMT tt for awhile. with the new meters and pots we eliminated that choice.

you might contact Charles King about how to add tape EQ to a phono stage. he might have some good ideas.

My Botlehead https://bottlehead.com/bottlehead-products/ tape amplifier also has has such switches. If the phono unit has a proper signal to noise ratio and adjustable load, the modification is very easy - the changes are very small, usually just adding one or two capacitors or resistors per channel - the calculus and measurement are very simple. However adding wires and switches cannibalizes the unit - not a good idea for people who change equipment frequently. ;)

IMHO you should ask Herve for such custom input card for your preamplifier!

Ask astrotoy

My Botlehead https://bottlehead.com/bottlehead-products/ tape amplifier also has has such switches. If the phono unit has a proper signal to noise ratio and adjustable load, the modification is very easy - the changes are very small, usually just adding one or two capacitors or resistors per channel - the calculus and measurement are very simple. However adding wires and switches cannibalizes the unit - not a good idea for people who change equipment frequently. ;)

IMHO you should ask Herve for such custom input card for your preamplifier!

for 10 years Herve has teased us dart lovers with the hope of a tape EQ. i understand he has played around with it some. i do think this idea could happen soon (but what soon..........in 'darTZeel'-speak.......actually means........is anyone's guess:rolleyes:).

Imagine that Mike Lavigne and perhaps some others will read this thread from page one with all of these Off-topic posts. Good God ;)
I’m tired of audio, i come here mainly for the comedy ;)

recently i received my upgraded King Cello with meters and pots for adjustments. my friend Andrew assisted me (i watched him) in making the calibration adjustments. we did make use of the meters, but only as a back up to the Audio Precision One tool. we had a 'fresh' MRL tape for both 1/4" (IEC and NAB) and 1/2" (IEC and NAB). we were able to get it within .5 db across (when we did the sweep) except in the bass where it was within 1.5db.

the settings differences for IEC and NAB were minimal when not zero differences.

we did check head azimuth but it was right on for those calibration tapes.
The sound of tape in my room has not been living up to its status. And I always had doubt in the back of my head about my tape gears. I would not have imagined that my tapehead was not calibrated optimally after I watched it done on two different occasions by someone who has produced great tape sound for members of this and the other forum. When I am done with my 2020 audio agendas I will get back to my tape issues. :)

Imagine that Mike Lavigne and perhaps some others will read this thread from page one with all of these Off-topic posts. Good God ;)

How much more time could one have for listening to music if a WBF SNR rating was attached to each thread?
Each member could specify their own personal cut-off point for messages below which they choose not to see.
In an effort at some sort of appreciation for merit, persistent bottomfeeders eventually would see only their own posts.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu