Zero Distortion: Tango Time

No, RIAA is an LP equalization not a tape equalization. The RIAA equalization is carried during the cutting - what we usually call vinyl tapes are copies of the mastertapes, mastered to compensate for the physical drawbacks of vinyl cutting and playback.

It is possible to have the three switchable equalizations (NAB, IEC and RIAA ) in one device - see http://vinylsavor.blogspot.com/2014/01/riaa-nab-iec-equalisation.html

It is a pity that the best moving coil phonos do not include such feature - for me it would be much more useful than three types of vinyl equalizations. I considered modifying the Audio Research Phono3, but never had the courage to do it!

I know that RIAA is a vinyl equalization. I asked because I have seen a safety copy of a master tape the box of which suggested the tape was recorded with RIAA equalization, and I found such box label very confusing.

Is there any possibly logical explanation for such a tape recording, or was the label simply likely mistaken?

Last edited:
But this is a friendly Tango's thread, with all his friends. It feels cosy like @ home between good friends and music and children and pets. Intellectual diversity is good for the equilibrium.
When I visit my family we talk music, we listen music, we eat music, and we rest music.
Everything else is normal living life.

How much more time could one have for listening to music if a WBF SNR rating was attached to each thread?
Each member could specify their own personal cut-off point for messages below which they choose not to see.
In an effort at some sort of appreciation for merit, persistent bottomfeeders eventually would see only their own posts.

But this is a friendly Tango's thread, with all his friends. It feels cosy like @ home between good friends and music and children and pets. Intellectual diversity is good for the equilibrium.
When I visit my family we talk music, we listen music, we eat music, and we rest music.
Everything else is normal living life.

Sometimes threads are hard to follow, aren't they?

Variety brings greater audience for the forum internationally. Light head is what we need with all messy things happening around us. Lagonda head might just be a little lighter than the others. But this thread will always find its way back to music.

Last edited:
Sometimes threads are hard to follow, aren't they?

Not if we speak the music language, they aren't. Like Tango said below, a music pacifier.

Variety brings greater audience for the forum internationally. ... But this thread will always find its way back to music.

This Bach album 2LPs were sent to me last week. I don't remember who recommended me this nor where I bought this from. Maybe it was MikeL who mentioned of this Album. It is a very interesting album because it was played with original instruments and the way it was recorded. The recording venue was a hall in Schonburg Palace Vienna. If you care to read the photos of booklet inside, you find excellent description of this performance. This record has great clarity with no hardness...the thing I use to decide if a record will go into trash bin. Tonality and other things are quite subjective to individual impression. Telefunken 635043-1(2)

265936C4-C4D8-4DB3-B7AF-2880F3CAD9F6.jpegC6DD3338-AA52-4C80-A7B2-B60412744F91.jpeg
F6A8A0BE-6ED3-4F1E-A703-C67B130ED7F9.jpeg540D5244-127D-4219-BCEE-375CF5D39614.jpeg681AA793-BCCA-4B28-AA84-694EA2FF9AC1.jpeg
EFAD8DC0-94E3-4B52-B818-7CE264FBDB6A.jpeg

Last edited:
This Bach album 2LPs were sent to me last week. I don't remember who recommended me this nor where I bought this from. Maybe it was MikeL who mentioned of this Album. It is a very interesting album because it was played with original instruments and the way it was recorded. The recording venue was a hall in Schonburg Palace Vienna. If you care to read the photos of booklet inside, you find excellent description of this performance. This record has great clarity with no hardness...the thing I use to decide if a record will go into trash bin. Tonality and other things are quite subjective to individual impression. Telefunken 635043-1(2)

in late November i did post about this album on my CS Port tt thread linked below.

i love this box set and agree completely. glad you are enjoying it.

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...-added-to-the-system.29451/page-7#post-610162

Last edited:
a few weeks back i did post about this album on my CS Port thread linked below.

i love this box set and agree completely. glad you are enjoying it.

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...-added-to-the-system.29451/page-7#post-610162
I have been reading wonderful comments from your visitors about the sound in your room especially on the staging and layering. I could imagine how great the ambient of this palace hall would be portrayed in your listening room. I am working on my room at the moment. It is a great learning process. You went through this successfully years and years ago. I understand it is going to be a long process but hopefully I could get it to my satisfactory level given my constraints within this year.

Thanks again for the recommendation

To add to this conversation, the original LP is sonically far superior to the reissue which I find flat, dead and boring in comparison and if that’s what’s winning the match then the tape copy must be horrible.

david
Khun David. The original is Columbia FC 37152 1981. Or Philip 6302137 Netherlands 1981?

Best,
Tang

Some questioned about quality of my tape setup. So here we go again. I got the Ballfinger into my system. The machine has 60 hrs on it. There should not be any question of condition of tape head or its alignment. I also include another video using vinyl. This time the Opus1 is in play instead of Master Sig. Hear it yourself. :)

Ballfinger

AS2000/Opus1

A820/Doshi

Last edited:
Reactions: NorthStar
I listened both 2 times on head phones
Both of them sound like music , … very good .
I still hear more ¨ plectrum¨ when plucking the guitar strings on the AS2000 .
Was this record taken form this same recording?
Is it a mastertape?
or else how much of a generation copy?
It sounds like there was a different mike position .
When I have time next weekend I ll make video of a Studer B62 mastertape pianorecording reproduction.
Where the tape should excel slightly is natural/ organic flow,/ dynamics but It can be that much of that becomes lost with further generation tape copies hard to tell on you tube.

Last edited:
First, it's a delight to listen to this album's tune sample in both analog forms.
Two, for even more simplicity sake of just listening without being there in your room plus tra-la-la all that jazz, the tape (Ballfinger) is more alive, with much stronger presence of being there in the audience.
The guitars are clearer, the sustain more realistic, the air around has more substance and vivacity, vitality, audacity, virility, fidelity.

By comparison the vinyl is thinner, having less weight, shy and less meat dressing the bones.
It sounds great, it's just that the tape sounds superb.

If I'm more transported by the music to its live concert venue like I am from the tape I just say it, I did. Thanks again Tango for taking the time in setting and sharing; it's perfectly right.

You added the third one, the A820/Doshi tape combo.It sounds great, in third position, more restrained, farther, fading away.

Last edited:
Tango, How do you like the Ballfinger against your Studer. I think Ballfinger is not going through doshi, right? I am really wondering how these new consumer tape players fare against the professional products playback quality.

I listened both 2 times on head phones
Both of them sound like music , … very good .
I still hear more ¨ plectrum¨ when plucking the guitar strings on the AS2000 .
Was this record taken form this same recording?
Is it a mastertape?
or else how much of a generation copy?
It sounds like there was a different mike position .
When I have time next weekend I ll make video of a Studer B62 mastertape pianorecording reproduction.
Where the tape should excel slightly is natural/ organic flow,/ dynamics but It can be that much of that becomes lost with further generation tape copies hard to tell on you tube.

Hi Andromeda,

I have no clue on the "actual" tape generation or how the vinyl and tape recorded. I only know that my tape dealer has good access and good relationship with many sound engineers in US. To me buying tape is on blind faith.

I was not using the Doshi with the Ballfinger. The one demoing in my system also does not have a direct head out. So I cannot try it with the Doshi. I hear some pluses and minuses from Studer/Doshi vs Ballfinger. But since some people said my Studer is not working properly so I am not going to comment on how they differ. ;)

Note: I have not calibrated my Studer as people suggested.

Best,
Tang

Reactions: andromedaaudio
What is the difference between CBS Half Speed Master Sound and a normal one? Anyone know?

In these videos the Balfinger is really impressive. Plucks, range, the strength in those plucks, dynamics, whole top to bottom body seems excellent. I found the TT the least then realized he was playing the Opus. So I did a comparison of the Balfinger to the Vdh video from earlier. So that video is excellent too. It is quite surprising how the Opus, while usually just a different sounding cart sometimes better in some aspects, seems to sound so less in these videos.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu