Zero Distortion: Tango Time

Dear Tang,

That brass is perfect,your system is perfect the room may be challenging but I am sure of the quality at hand.

You are on the ultimate path for transparency.

Kindest regards,G.

Tima is right that in the video brass is quite thin.

I wouldn't tell any self respecting audiophile his system is perfect, takes all the fun out.

Tang should let us hear the record with the Opus, then whenever he gets new woofers

Reactions: tima
I am lucky to have a luxury listening to excellent quality records selected for me by the General over and over not just one time two times. He even sent me records of different levels of goodness so that I hear the difference. In the process, I manage to learn what excellent record sounds like. I also know very well how acoustic change in my room at the moment affect my sound. This record is excellent.

Tima is right that in the video brass is quite thin.

I wouldn't tell any self respecting audiophile his system is perfect, takes all the fun out.

Tang should let us hear the record with the Opus, then whenever he gets new woofers
Dear Ked. In two hours you managed to ask me to 1) Compare to Scheherazade 2) Play with Opus vs Vdh and make videos. No wonder Gian is burnt out of audio talking to you on whatapp everyday. It seemed impossible that anyone could endure such pain.

Dear Ked. In two hours you managed to ask me to 1) Compare to Scheherazade 2) Play with Opus vs Vdh and make videos. No wonder Gian is burnt out of audio talking to you on whatapp everyday. It seemed impossible that anyone could endure such pain.

You should be happy that he didn't ask you to marry him!o_O

"Pass my beer".

In that time I managed to make it to Carcassonne with my gf and in the same time schedule two audio trips for later this month. You need to be like Dr. Manhattan, Tang, do various things in the same moment

Dear Tao,

Should the need arise and you find yourself here,you are more than welcome to edit my rants.

That said the bathrooms here are pants(17th century plumbing) but the temperature cool enough for the vinyl.

The main problem I face with the book concept,many find it difficult to absorb that opinion is not meant to supersede fact.

The short answer is that all the record companies were at the mercy of skills bordering on witch craft,as such needed to standardise their race to the bottom where production values were allowed to slip.

Kindest regards,G.

Meh who cares? You SHOULD write a book. It's ok to have balls and opinions, even though it seems challenging and feathers get ruffled.

Your work of archiving the best classical on earth (on LP) is one amazing thing, but it'll remain totally inaccessible to almost everyone, but a book would not.

In the mood for blue this morning. The Definitive Black & Blue Sessions by Budd Johnson. Budd played both Tenor and Soprano sax. This album I heard from my friend's WE replica system and I liked the music very much. In his system it sounded great better than mine because of the bass from the Altec woofers. Once I install my new front load bass horn back to the system I will know if I could top his system playing this record. I have no clue if there is a better pressing. The music alone drove me to buy. Pure Pleasure Records PPAN006. The whole album is excellent. The video is on Blues For Sales. Earl Hines played the piano.

Great tune Tango!

Do you ever use the rear mounted tonearm on your EMT 927?

Tang used to mount tonearm with his rear. Then ddk taught him to do it the right way round.

My 927 has a small transformer under the plinth near the rear. It causes hum on my rear arm. I was thinking of wrapping a mumetal around the transformer to rid the hum.

The Friday Night in San Fran by AlDiMeola/John McLaughlin tape has been with me for 6 months but never played. The tape cost me around $1,300. Today I warmed up my tape machine and tape pre for the whole morning and play it the first time against the LP45. In the video the volume of tape was a click or two higher on my preamp.

4373471E-8762-4F5F-87D4-1DF34BDDFFBC.jpeg

Tape

Vinyl

First of all both sounded very good through my sony WH 1000 headphones (Bluetooth).

I give the nod to the tape , more continuous music flow /natural .
I have the impression the vinyl although it sound very impressive slighty exaggerates detail ( guitar plucks)

If my investments continue like this I see a ML 3 (pre-power ) in the future.

First of all both sounded very good through my sony WH 1000 headphones (Bluetooth).

I give the nod to the tape , more continuous music flow /natural .
I have the impression the vinyl although it sound very impressive slighty exaggerates detail ( guitar plucks)

Yes, I agree through my headphones, too (Sony MDR Z7). It's strange that comes through on You Tube.

The tape seems more homogenized, the vinyl more nuanced, I would have expected more detail on the tape. The range with vinyl is higher. I suspect the Doshi is coloring the tape stage.
There is more pluck and leading edge on the vinyl and more lower mid/upper bass on the tape, but this is something that cart voicing can do. VDH will have more pluck and lesser upper bass. Though if you can reproduce this pluck with Opus, and if the tape still has more upper bass, now that will be interesting. Tape is quieter.

I can't make out a difference in stage on the video.

The tape seems more homogenized, the vinyl more nuanced, I would have expected more detail on the tape. The range with vinyl is higher. I suspect the Doshi is coloring the tape stage.
There is more pluck and leading edge on the vinyl and more lower mid/upper bass on the tape, but this is something that cart voicing can do. VDH will have more pluck and lesser upper bass. Though if you can reproduce this pluck with Opus, and if the tape still has more upper bass, now that will be interesting. Tape is quieter.

I can't make out a difference in stage on the video.
I am able to tune to the sound you want to hear with gears in my system. And I can gurantee it will over come the deficiency you mentioned when comparing to the sound of tape in this video. :)

Except the quiet part.

Reactions: zerostargeneral
I am able to tune to the sound you want to hear with gears in my system. And I can gurantee it will over come the deficiency you mentioned when comparing to the sound of tape in this video. :)

Except the quiet part.

Yes we agree.

Dear Tang,

do you have the ability to play the A-820 out of the stock outputs? (have a head switch?) not saying you would prefer listening to that......however; as far as a video portraying leading edge detail it might come through more clearly through the stock outputs compared to the Doshi and level the playing field on detail portrayal.

and if, by chance, that actually happens (this is a shot in the dark), then consider acquiring the Studer 'trafo-less' (transformerless) analog output cards which does kick up the refinement a degree or two when using the stock output.....if you don't already have them.

cheers,

Mike

Dear Tang,

do you have the ability to play the A-820 out of the stock outputs? (have a head switch?) not saying you would prefer listening to that......however; as far as a video portraying leading edge detail it might come through more clearly through the stock outputs compared to the Doshi and level the playing field on detail portrayal.

and if, by chance, that actually happens (this is a shot in the dark), then consider acquiring the Studer 'trafo-less' (transformerless) analog output cards which does kick up the refinement a degree or two when using the stock output.....if you don't already have them.

cheers,

Mike

Mike, Tang reacts very angrily when asked to do due diligence, the way he did that day when I asked him to try a couple of changes

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu