Zero Distortion: Tango Time

I heard the muddy waters folk singer original and another chess original at General's. My immediate reaction was to remark that you will take the Blues out if it if you process this original blues recording. I have just never heard such emotion in a guitar pluck

did i play my 1/2" 15ips Muddy Waters "Folk Singer" for you?

i don't recall whether i did or not.

did i play my 1/2" 15ips Muddy Waters "Folk Singer" for you?

i don't recall whether i did or not.

No I heard the 45 classic records at OMA. So that's the other thing you missed in addition to the coffee Mike

No I heard the 45 classic records at OMA. So that's the other thing you missed in addition to the coffee Mike

we do have a coffee pot; so guests can bring the coffee of their choice (and some do) and make it themselves.:rolleyes: we don't know how.

but this 1/2" does go beyond any pressing. i have a number of 45 versions......including the Classics Records.

This Tchaikovsky Symphony 4 by Wolff is another outstanding record recommended by the General a month back. The performance is very exciting (...)

For performance you should also listen to the 4th Symphony conducted by Evgeny Mravinsky with the Leningrad Philharmonic Orchestra. IMHO the sound and byte of the russian orchestra is very adequate to Tchaikovsky and Mravinsky is one of the best for this piece of music. This recording sounds also really great, BTW.

a1.jpg

Reactions: the sound of Tao
For performance you should also listen to the 4th Symphony conducted by Evgeny Mravinsky with the Leningrad Philharmonic Orchestra. IMHO the sound and byte of the russian orchestra is very adequate to Tchaikovsky and Mravinsky is one of the best for this piece of music. This recording sounds also really great, BTW.

View attachment 60387
We have this in common. I do like Mravinsky on 4 too. I have this set bought from discog. :)

20200103_044714.jpg

Reactions: the sound of Tao
Dear Tang,

Why such a short clip?

The crescendo that follows is fab'

Kindest regards,G.
It was interrupted by a false fire alarm and I had to turn off the system. This record sounds so good G. I love the air in the hall, the naked transparency, the depth although not the width. And the performance is just exhilarating. No boring prolonging passage. You know my taste. Keep them coming pls.

kindest regards,
Tang

Yes, Yevgeny Mravinsky is great in these Tchaikovsky and also very much so in Shostakovich symphonies generally. He premiered the Shostakovich 5,6,8,9 and 10 symphonies and was permanent director of the Leningrad Philharmonic from right back in 1938 all the way through till 1988. Not always represented well in the quality of recordings though unfortunately but still one of the great Russian conductors.

Reactions: tima and microstrip
View attachment 60369

We compared Decca first pressings same performance recorded by different engineers at G. What a difference.

The 4th is definitely in Maazel's wheelhouse. Whichever orchestra he's with plays this piece well.

I listened to Albert Wolff with the Paris group, not on a first edition but a stereo London. I found Wolff's timing a bit quirky throughout. While the sound was clear (the video clip above is better than my copy) the Paris brass struck me as a bit thin.

Did you know this piece contains one of the world's most difficult piccolo solos? Third movement, 21 notes in 3 seconds.

While the sound was clear (the video clip above is better than my copy) the Paris brass struck me as a bit thin.
You heard it thin likely because of my room acoustic is not properly set, not the record itself.

Tang :)

Last edited:
You heard it thin likely because of my room acoustic is not properly set, not the record itself.

Tang :)

It will improve if you move the vdh to Opus on that particular piece

Mravinsky on tulips only,stereo(red) or mono(blank)

The reasoning for this would require me to write a book.

Kindest regards,G.
I’d like to read that book... actually I’d like to read any of your books G.

Reactions: tima
Dear Tao,

Should the need arise and you find yourself here,you are more than welcome to edit my rants.

That said the bathrooms here are pants(17th century plumbing) but the temperature cool enough for the vinyl.

The main problem I face with the book concept,many find it difficult to absorb that opinion is not meant to supersede fact.

The short answer is that all the record companies were at the mercy of skills bordering on witch craft,as such needed to standardise their race to the bottom where production values were allowed to slip.

Kindest regards,G.

Dear Tao,

Should the need arise and you find yourself here,you are more than welcome to edit my rants.

That said the bathrooms here are pants(17th century plumbing) but the temperature cool enough for the vinyl.

The main problem I face with the book concept,many find it difficult to absorb that opinion is not meant to supersede fact.

The short answer is that all the record companies were at the mercy of skills bordering on witch craft,as such needed to standardise their race to the bottom where production values were allowed to slip.

Kindest regards,G.
Dear G.
Given the time difference between here and your 17th century plumbing I might not understand everything you say at times G. but I am sure that when you play the music I would just completely get it. The words fall away and there is just communion when the better music plays. That’s probably why opera is mostly in other languages (thank heavens).

So you all make vinyl references and recommendations and I often hunt these down where I can off the stream to taste these performers and performances. I understand it’s not the same but the music is there still underneath. It’s really fantastic and just very much appreciated. I learn most every other day. Plumbing is largely irrelevant in comparison.
Best wishes as always
Tao

Dear G.
Given the time difference between here and your 17th century plumbing I might not understand everything you say at times G. but I am sure that when you play the music I would just completely get it. The words fall away and there is just communion when the better music plays. That’s probably why opera is mostly in other languages (thank heavens).

So you all make vinyl references and recommendations and I often hunt these down where I can off the stream to taste these performers and performances. I understand it’s not the same but the music is there still underneath. It’s really fantastic and just very much appreciated. I learn most every other day. Plumbing is largely irrelevant in comparison.
Best wishes as always
Tao

Plumbing is required to flush down a lot of modern hifi

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu