to my high power consuming
stereo, the less I shower. Heating
water for showers is very power
consuming, ergo it becomes a null
sum exercise ;)
Lol

Remind me not to visit anytime soon.
Oh my
i exercise twice a day, and in 36 C heat showers are mandatory 2 or 3 times a day luckliy I have three water tanks
solar makes me about 95% self sufficient potentially once I get the Tesla batteries

Reactions: zerostargeneral
The more i sit at home and listen
stereo, the less I shower.
For heaven sake Lagonda. Put the damn bath tub at the sweet spot between your MBLs.

The more i sit at home and listen
stereo, the less I shower. Heating
water for showers is very power
consuming, ergo it becomes a null
sum exercise ;)
Or you could watercool your gear. That way you could get at least warm water and properly cool your gear ;)
Win-win and almost Greta-friendly :p

Reactions: bonzo75 and Lagonda
For heaven sake Lagonda. Put the damn bath tub at the sweet spot between your MBLs.
I would be afraid to try that. Imagine if the sound actually improved because
of the psycho acoustic properties of the bathtub o_O
We would all have to limit our listening times when wrinkling sets in, and i am wrinkled enough already :eek:

Or you could watercool your gear. That way you could get at least warm water and properly cool your gear ;)
Win-win and almost Greta-friendly :p
Water cooled audio equipment Hm i see a marketing potential. Maybe as an upgrade to older Krell amps. And of course for the ultimate audiophile, a version
made with heavy reactor water, for optimal coolingo_O
I think Vandersteen makes a water cooled amp, they had too come up
with something to warrant the outrageous price increase on what used to
be well made inexpensive gear.

Reactions: christoph
I haven’t visited this thread for a short time and any rails it might have been on are far in this distance...

And what I responded was what I heard in my system with softwares and gears I owned and my logic choosing why I don't invest more in tape gears. By no mean I stated or implied that sound reproduced by tape machine is inferior to one reproduced by tt in general and if software involved is first grade. I could only say that given gears and softwares available to me at hands the difference in sound of vinyl vs tape is not significant. Therefore I chose to put my resource on vinyl base on what "make sense" to me.

Tang :)

Yes, we understood it all - I am no way asking about your options or investments. But my main point was just how the sound quality of top tape compares with it your turntables, not just learning that is just "not inferior". ;)

Great turntables with their tonerms and cartridges are so diverse that they are a poor absolute reference, IMHO the tapes from the Tapeproject played in a top Studer machine are much more consistent and still closer to the source. I must say it is still my reference when I need to refresh my anchor points - I have one Studer A80 with standard repro rebuild cards and another with a Bottlehead tape preamplifier.

BTW, my other reference is the DCS Vivaldi stack, but this one was established using the much more subjective comparison with my perception of real performances using my preferred type of music - IMHO much more questionable that the Studer A80.

If people prefer the signature of vinyl I can understand that, I do too. However "an actual master tape" is where its at but it is not something you can get a hold of. If we are lucky we can get close enough with ones like Analogue Production but if you go out and get tapes without provenance they can sound like anything, good or bad, there is no knowing it. I have even heard people copying from sacd to tape and selling them as master tape.

There is also a possibility of preferring what the mastering engineer or the cutting engineer did for vinyl version. Vinyl production brings certain idiosyncrasies with it.

Still, if we are talking about any kind of fidelity from our perspective, it can only be to what recording/mixing/mastering engineers did and that would be heard at the master tape which they have finalized. If you get a copy of that, that is as close as you get. Would you still prefer a mastered for vinyl version of it, of course you can, that is a preference.

I only have Muddy Waters - Folk Singer in all its incarnations to make a fair comparison. First pressing, 33rpm remaster, 45rpm remaster, dsd and master copy from AP. I prefer the tape version myself. I also do not like making these comparisons, I like listening to albums in whatever format they sound best in my system.

Pe
If people prefer the signature of vinyl I can understand that, I do too. However "an actual master tape" is where its at but it is not something you can get a hold of. If we are lucky we can get close enough with ones like Analogue Production but if you go out and get tapes without provenance they can sound like anything, good or bad, there is no knowing it. I have even heard people copying from sacd to tape and selling them as master tape.

There is also a possibility of preferring what the mastering engineer or the cutting engineer did for vinyl version. Vinyl production brings certain idiosyncrasies with it.

Still, if we are talking about any kind of fidelity from our perspective, it can only be to what recording/mixing/mastering engineers did and that would be heard at the master tape which they have finalized. If you get a copy of that, that is as close as you get. Would you still prefer a mastered for vinyl version of it, of course you can, that is a preference.

I only have Muddy Waters - Folk Singer in all its incarnations to make a fair comparison. First pressing, 33rpm remaster, 45rpm remaster, dsd and master copy from AP. I prefer the tape version myself. I also do not like making these comparisons, I like listening to albums in whatever format they sound best in my system.

perhaps we are talking at cross purposes
we have the tape that was spliced together from all the takes
and the tape sent for lathe cutting

before the days of digital weren’t all tapes made to cut to lathe .

as MF has pointed out a lot of the original tapes haven’t lasted as well as original pressings, though some formulations have lasted way better

sony realised long ago its entire inventory of tapes would go hence the development of DSD

as to your muddy waters u would need to check the entire provenance of each format to make it a fair comparison

i agree with you, it’s really not worth the effort ....enjoy the music

Reactions: kodomo and bonzo75
I heard the muddy waters folk singer original and another chess original at General's. My immediate reaction was to remark that you will take the Blues out if it if you process this original blues recording. I have just never heard such emotion in a guitar pluck

I heard the muddy waters folk singer original and another chess original at General's. My immediate reaction was to remark that you will take the Blues out if it if you process this original blues recording. I have just never heard such emotion in a guitar pluck

was there blood mixed with salty tears on the stylus ?

Reactions: cjfrbw
This Tchaikovsky Symphony 4 by Wolff is another outstanding record recommended by the General a month back. The performance is very exciting. Not cheap but still much less expensive from Analog Production tapes. As I said before I keep getting excellent sounding records of world class performances from easy legitimate accessible sources. Get the vinyl front right, find good pressing source and you will be in such enjoyable ride to a vast musical performances. I am growing to like Tchaikovsky 4 more and more and will search for a few more variations by different conductors.

BF97D034-26FC-470F-8096-6030BA77316F.jpeg
42FC8359-8C7D-47AF-A22E-78666624A58F.jpeg

Last edited:
90C8D468-514E-4675-A7D1-8069C81391B1.jpeg

We compared Decca first pressings same performance recorded by different engineers at G. What a difference.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu