Zero Distortion: Tango Time

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
found a couple of pics showing the heads of an A80 with removed top cap..just to give you an idea...same system on A810 and A820 as well
disassembled headblock top.jpg

Attachments

• head details.jpg
    head details.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 5

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Can someone check on Tang? Hope he has not hurt himself with the solder or something
Heh..heh. For me, the ultimate DIY dude :p, it is like green wire or red wire or atomic bomb go off in Mission Impossible. This is really not for me. I am waiting for a qualified person to do it for me.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Bonzo likes to send me interesting videos to have me cross check if his ears are not totally gone. I got this album from one of the video he sent. It is Kyung Wha Chung when she was still young. This is a very good album for the music itself and sonic. I could listen to the whole album and repeat. I paid around $40. The album contains Chausson's Poeme for Violin and Orchestra, Saint-Saens' Intro and Rondo Capriccioso and Havanaise for Violin and Orch and Ravel's Tzigane. The label is Decca SXL 6851. I have her newer titles but none sound as natural as this.

0814B710-C5A0-4B21-B677-32EEF3FB252D.jpeg

There are two sudden impacts in the above video that are very physical in real listening that the video cannot possibly capture. Get the lp and you will understand what I am talking about.

Added: The Tzigane alone is sonically worth more than $40.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Bonzo likes to send me interesting videos to have me cross check if his ears are not totally gone. I got this album from one of the video he sent. It is Kyung Wha Chung when she was still young. This is a very good album for the music itself and sonic. I could listen to the whole album and repeat. I paid around $40. The album contains Chausson's Poeme for Violin and Orchestra, Saint-Saens' Intro and Rondo Capriccioso and Havanaise for Violin and Orch and Ravel's Tzigane. The label is Decca SXL 6851. I have her newer titles but none sound as natural as this.

View attachment 67910

There are two sudden impacts in the above video that are very physical in real listening that the video cannot possibly capture. Get the lp and you will understand what I am talking about.

This was from this video

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Have you changed something in the sub setting? It is sounding better today than before (am not referring to the impact part but also the rest). Or maybe the drivers settled in

Reactions: gian60 and Vienna

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Have you changed something in the sub setting? It is sounding better today than before (am not referring to the impact part but also the rest). Or maybe the drivers settled in
After the video earlier I adjusted the phase and raised the xover to 100. And could be the driver settling in as you said too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vienna and bonzo75

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017

View attachment 67910

Added: The Tzigane alone is sonically worth more than $40.

I have the analogphonic version of this, I wonder how they compare. I really like the selection, it fits a certain mood I have sometimes.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
After the video earlier I adjusted the phase and raised the xover to 100. And could be the driver settling in as you said too.

Ok, this is the first time I liked your video since you brought the subs in. I think possibly the phase was important. Maybe if you put it back to how it was we can verify. Now that you have started changing your own phase, maybe next step is to solder the deck head issue?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Ok, this is the first time I liked your video since you brought the subs in. I think possibly the phase was important. Maybe if you put it back to how it was we can verify. Now that you have started changing your own phase, maybe next step is to solder the deck head issue?
First, when you listen to my stuff you automatically raise your reference. That's too hard on me man.

Second, you put me up against the WE video. This is cruel. Good god it is not the same song. :p Otherwise I be in position of ridiculing myself.

Third, it is my pleasure seeing you not satisfied your curiosity by not doing a a/b putting the setting back for you. ;)

Last, my head will be soldered some day but not by me. I also need Leif, Mike or KiChoi teaching me how to calibrate the Studer to Doshi using test tape.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
No, I am comparing yours with subs to yours without subs. The video is sounding right the first time with subs. I can't speak about the in room impact but I think that phase setting has worked wonders on video

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Btw it is a WE replica amplifier in the video (91b). The drivers are his own Altec field coil, which he made by modding the regular Altec to field coil (the Altec 287 was field coil but not easily found). The woofer is regular Altec

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
This is how my system evolved.

Two years ago.

Now.

You can use your video productively to track changes. I admit my hearing memory is not good. I don't remember what my system used to sound two years ago.

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
This is how my system evolved.

Two years ago.

Now.

You can use your video productively to track changes. I admit my hearing memory is not good. I don't remember what my system used to sound two years ago.
That tone is just beautiful Tang.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Now that many people in forum have the Bruckner 7 dtd you can compare mine to your own video using handphone to record this same recording from your system. Of course, no need to post it publicly like me . I find it useful to see where to improve my system by comparing videos with my great friend Gian (whom I never met in person.) He once sent me a recording of his system on Jazz Pawnshop. I compared it to mine and his system beat me badly on staging and spatial info. That was a trigger for me to try to improve my system on that aspect which caused me to remove three absorber panels at front wall behind my speakers. The gap now reduced greatly but his SS CH base system still is better than mine on this regard. There are many great systems in this forum better sounding than those available to hear in commercial places too. Pity I cannot teleport myself to listen in real. Try to understand the limitations of a recording device or hand phone, iphone and samsung also sound a bit different. Use it wisely it could be very beneficial.

I usually record 5.3 meters away from my speakers.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Very nice flow. Also start of movement 3, please

Reactions: gian60

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing