Zero Distortion: Tango Time

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Your system will never be ready
Ked is the funniest golden ear audiophile I have ever encountered. He has all potentially best speaker drivers but no cabinet, wire, crossover, etc. Only him no need those. At home he looks at these drivers laid in front of him, put on ear phone, listen to videoclip and appreciate how they make such marvelous sound.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
unless its been realigned or rebuilt it´s just to install it....headblocks on same Studer models can be swapped between machines without need for realignment
Yes. John French who changed head for me said the same. But I did not take a picture of how wires were connected. I was not looking when the head was removed. These wires were rerouted to make a direct head out. I dont know which is which. I am sure it would be so easy if you take one minute look at my machine.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Yes. John French who changed head for me said the same. But I did not take a picture of how wires were connected. I was not looking when the head was removed. These wires were rerouted to make a direct head out. I dont know which is which. I am sure it would be so easy if you take one minute look at my machine.
Leif i think he is offering a ticket to Thailand, go for it !:)

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

Tang,

if you could take a picture of the area in question (and PM or email to me or post it and i will copy it) i could forward it to Ki Choi and maybe he could offer a quick easy fix. he knows A-820 heads intimately. he likely can figure it out. he also owns the Doshi.

Mike

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Ked is the funniest golden ear audiophile I have ever encountered. He has all potentially best speaker drivers but no cabinet, wire, crossover, etc. Only him no need those. At home he looks at these drivers laid in front of him, put on ear phone, listen to videoclip and appreciate how they make such marvelous sound.

it's fun to tease Ked, and he somewhat asks for it.

but if i think about the ideal mind-set for being a passionate open minded (and open eared) audiophile/music lover, he is at the top of the list. he just places his hobbyist efforts in a different direction than other's of us. but no less commitment.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Tang,

if you could take a picture of the area in question (and PM or email to me or post it and i will copy it) i could forward it to Ki Choi and maybe he could offer a quick easy fix. he knows A-820 heads intimately. he likely can figure it out. he also owns the Doshi.

Mike
You are very kind Mike. I will take some pictures and post.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
You are very kind Mike. I will take some pictures and post.
Only of the Studer Tango, don’t get carried away !:eek:

Reactions: ddk and bonzo75
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
if there´s only two pairs of wires from the headstack, the worst you can do is reverse phase
are the wires fixed out from the headstack? any plugs on them?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
@MikeL. @LeifC. Here is pic of wiring from repro head.

02970676-A17B-4CF4-AF31-EDB87E7162D6.jpeg

And here is the xlr wire that is suppose to be directly soldered to the repro head wires. The xlr goes to Doshi input.
A82B343D-6052-4916-A809-1C0C202AA382.jpeg

They are in different colors. Trial and error? Guess? Where should I start? o_O

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Start by discovering which wire-color goes to each pin of the xlrs with a multi-meter.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
puhhh ...looking through A820/A810 and A80 manuals......no drawing of head in 810 and 820
but likely like A80 reg.:
channel 1 on top
Channel 2 below

from below A820 schematic
(both top and bottom pair)
brown to xlr pin 2 HOT/POSITIVE
black to xlr pin 3

guess xlr pin 1 goes to terminal on top of head
you can unscrew top screw on head and connect another ring together with the one there already
head will not move, only a way to take off top cover
pls find schematic A820 preamp pcb in headblock
Studer 2ch headpreamp.PNG

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
At this rate Tang will be building his own speakers next year. He will become local techie for the Bangkok hifi club

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
reg Doshi wire:
logical is:
white to LCH/CH1 pin 2 CH1
red to RCH/CH2 pin 2 CH2
respective green is ch neg to pin 3 on xlr

best is to ohm with DMM or even use old fashioned lightbulb tester for car wiring :cool:

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
reg Doshi wire:
logical is:
white to LCH/CH1 pin 2 CH1
red to RCH/CH2 pin 2 CH2
respective green is ch neg to pin 3 on xlr

best is to ohm with DMM or even use old fashioned lightbulb tester for car wiring :cool:
Leif, i think you just scared Tang of with that post ( or made him take a nap), the only electrical testing Tang has ever done, is to check if the outlet is turned on :)

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
the pic of the open ends on the cables to the Doshi could be taken lying flat on a surface without the fingers
looks as if the shields from the two different cable runs have been joined together in a long common end
am a little confused by the black shrink bit on the upper cable with red and green

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Can someone check on Tang? Hope he has not hurt himself with the solder or something

Reactions: Lagonda

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing