Zero Distortion: Tango Time

all tone from all systems sounds off from a phone speaker...sort of obvious, no? I seriously doubt your soundbar or box or whatever is much better.
Yes sound box does sound better on almost everything, but on some you can have the same conclusion whether you play back on phone or sound box

The Cessaro on some records is distorted more while playing back on phone. I suspect the double tweeters have a frequency that is affecting phone playback.

We post system videos to share what we think sounds good and hope others enjoy them. When someone criticizes a video, we should not then start making excuses for the poor sound. System videos made from iPhones are what they are. Don’t post them if you don’t think they sound good. Phone speakers sometimes can’t handle the frequency extremes. I listen on my computer before commenting.

Yes sound box does sound better on almost everything, but on some you can have the same conclusion whether you play back on phone or sound box

The Cessaro on some records is distorted more while playing back on phone. I suspect the double tweeters have a frequency that is affecting phone playback.
Your soundbox sounds better than through a phone...pretty low bar you've set for your sound there... :rolleyes:

Reactions: djsina2
We post system videos to share what we think sounds good and hope others enjoy them. When someone criticizes a video, we should not then start making excuses for the poor sound. System videos made from iPhones are what they are. Don’t post them if you don’t think they sound good.
Except that he does think they sound good! Some do and some don't. He probably didn't hear the issues with the Altec system because he was listening to it through a found or his "soundbox" whatever that is. Listen to it through good headphones and it becomes obvious.

Reactions: PeterA
The Brahms double tone sounds off when played back on phone, sounds great when played back on my sound box and in person couldn’t stop listening for the whole 15 mins.
Do you really think Leif was judging the sound through phone playback?

We post system videos to share what we think sounds good and hope others enjoy them. When someone criticizes a video, we should not then start making excuses for the poor sound. System videos made from iPhones are what they are. Don’t post them if you don’t think they sound good. Phone speakers sometimes can’t handle the frequency extremes. I listen on my computer before commenting.

I didn’t, I actually posted that comment along with the video on my other thread as a disclaimer along with the posting

Do you really think Leif was judging the sound through phone playback?

It is not tonally off on sound box or in person at all. But is on phone. As simple as that. As I have said for 5 years now, listen to the videos with the posters comments. I put up that comment on my other thread on Monday same post as the Brahms video

It is not tonally off on sound box or in person at all. But is on phone. As simple as that. As I have said for 5 years now, listen to the videos with the posters comments. I put up that comment on my other thread on Monday same post as the Brahms video
That doesn't answer the question. Are you assuming that Leif must have listened to it through a phone or there is no way it sounds tonally off to him (or "plastic" as he said)? Just because you don't think it sounds off doesn't mean that someone else (with more horn experience than you) hears something you don't. There is quite a wide range of sound that you have posted where you have stated it sounded right to you but to many others it doesn't.

I tell you, and others, that the Altec system sounds muddy through good headphones...what it sounds like live is unclear. However, if you tell me the recording is representative of live, then I will have to conclude that it sounds muddy live and that you are wrong...simple as that.

Except that he does think they sound good! Some do and some don't. He probably didn't hear the issues with the Altec system because he was listening to it through a found or his "soundbox" whatever that is. Listen to it through good headphones and it becomes obvious.

I heard your video and told you that one of your drivers was 5db off. You couldn’t hear it in person. You corrected after I told you. The Altec video has more coherence. I have heard that LP on many systems the Altec is fantastic in person and on video as is the Cessaro

That doesn't answer the question. Are you assuming that Leif must have listened to it through a phone or there is no way it sounds tonally off to him (or "plastic" as he said)? Just because you don't think it sounds off doesn't mean that someone else (with more horn experience than you) hears something you don't. There is quite a wide range of sound that you have posted where you have stated it sounded right to you but to many others it doesn't.

I tell you, and others, that the Altec system sounds muddy through good headphones...what it sounds like live is unclear. However, if you tell me the recording is representative of live, then I will have to conclude that it sounds muddy live and that you are wrong...simple as that.

I know it can’t be tonally off. try to get yourself a better system and some good records to help find a reference

Ps he listened to on a headset. Well I don’t know his headset I know on phone and soundbox there are two different conclusions, which means it is possible to have different conclusions on what you are playing back on. The caveat still works

Last edited:

Forgive the obvious question Kedar … are you listening to your iphone YouTubes via iphone playback through good IE’s or other decent phones ? Even the AirPod Pro 2’s are decent these days .

Forgive the obvious question Kedar … are you listening to your iphone YouTubes via iphone playback through good IE’s or other decent phones ? Even the AirPod Pro 2’s are decent these days .

I listen on my Naim Muso sound box and on my phone both. I would say 70 percent are in sync. I don’t find videos I record representative on earphones, including Apple, Earphones I use for work zoom calls, or a couple of Bluetooth small ear phones I have. I have occasionally heard them on other people’s sound bars and car playback and they were quite spot on

The big IMac is quite poor as are most laptops or small computer speakers

Bill picks up most cues of systems I have heard in person quite well on his headphones not sure what brand he uses

Last edited:
I know it can’t be tonally off. try to get yourself a better system and some good records to help find a reference

Ps he listened to on a headset. Well I don’t know his headset I know on phone and soundbox there are two different conclusions, which means it is possible to have different conclusions on what you are playing back on. The caveat still works
My system is irrelevant as are the recordings. I was listening with headphones to your posted files of what I assume are reference recordings.

My system is irrelevant as are the recordings. I was listening with headphones to your posted files of what I assume are reference recordings.

I posted on the other thread it is an average recording great performance and the different playback conclusion part before I got questions on it

I posted on the other thread it is an average recording great performance and the different playback conclusion part before I got questions on it
again, so what? Through good headphones it sounded muddy...and in my car stereo (the sound system in my Porsche is pretty good actually but I would still not call it representative). I don't have a way to play it through my system...but that would overlay my room acoustics onto recorded room acoustics of the stereo recorded...never a good outcome.

Also did you guys find the Ricci Carmen, and the Beethoven concerto to have the same tone as the Brahms double on whatever you guys are playing back on? There is a reason for posting multiple recordings. You can identify what is what she’d read the caveat

Compare this to previous Brahms double, please

Reactions: Argonaut and mtemur
Compare this to previous Brahms double, please

Sounds very good to my ears, live and energetic. The distortion on the loud passages is not very significant and could be the result of limited dynamic range of iPhone microphones and/or youtube compression. Since the introduction of water resistance on iPhones microphone sound quality received a big hit IMHO.

I listen on my Naim Muso sound box and on my phone both. I would say 70 percent are in sync. I don’t find videos I record representative on earphones, including Apple, Earphones I use for work zoom calls, or a couple of Bluetooth small ear phones I have. I have occasionally heard them on other people’s sound bars and car playback and they were quite spot on

The big IMac is quite poor as are most laptops or small computer speakers

Bill picks up most cues of systems I have heard in person quite well on his headphones not sure what brand he uses

Hmmmm , Cannot agree with you there Kedar … For my part I cannot listen to these YouTubes simply played back through an IPhones internal speakers *without* good phones , with even say AirPod Pro 2’s one can discern far more macro and micro , tone and texture even a greater sense of scale and room ambiance , as in essence ones head replaces the room . Also the custom designed Cirrus logic DAC chip’s running in IPad are better than the standard chips running in most of the iphone models ergo I tend to use an IPad Pro > Shure 535’s wired up or AirPod Pro2 on the hoof .

Last edited:
Reactions: morricab

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu