Zero Distortion: Tango Time

Jeroen’s Cessaro system most certainly conveys the sense of scale and impact of a Symphonic performance rather well imho .

Reactions: bonzo75
Sounds very good to my ears, live and energetic. The distortion on the loud passages is not very significant and could be the result of limited dynamic range of iPhone microphones and/or youtube compression. Since the introduction of water resistance on iPhones microphone sound quality received a big hit IMHO.

So, this recording is Ferras and Tortelier. It is a great recording. Very difficult to listen to after the Heifetz Piatigorsky because the intensity of those two is much higher even though recording quality is lower.

I understand over the phone this might not be obvious but that is the discount given to the reporter and that’s why so many different videos are posted to allow to show differences in system, recordings, and performance

Reactions: mtemur
Hmmmm , Cannot agree with you there Kedar … For my part I cannot listen to these YouTubes simply played back through an IPhones internal speakers *without* good phones , with even say AirPod Pro 2’s one can discern far more macro and micro , tone and texture even a greater sense of scale and room ambiance , as in essence ones head replaces the room . Also the custom designed Cirrus logic DAC chip’s running in IPad are better than the standard chips running in most of the iphone models ergo I tend to use an IPad Pro > Shure 535’s wired up or AirPod Pro2 on the hoof .

I don’t find my own in person videos representative over air pods. I haven’t tried on iPad will do some time.

His midbass is weaker compared to what was in David's videos with this speaker. It could be the rear wave. Bionor and Eurodyn have a rear wave and the baffle helps the bass and tang has panels behind while David had open space. Just a guess. Rest of the kit is the same. So he might have to move them around more.

This is Tang's system thread, so it is a more appropriate place to discuss his system.

Does Tang have the Lamm LL1.1 phono that David used for those sample videos of Tang's speakers? If not, and he is still using the EMT phono, that could account for a much different video presentation compared to these Eurodyns at David's. Tang and David both have space behind, David just more space, and it is unclear if Tang had finished experimenting with the Eurodyn wings on the sides of the baffles, developed for flexibility with room set up. David has wood panels behind his speakers too. I think the biggest difference is room and set up, perhaps the phono. Part of the key to David's natural sound is the integration with subs which David spent a year getting right. I do not know who did Tang's sub set up or speaker set up or cartridge set up. There are many potential reasons for differences in sound. I understand Tang told many friends that he was very happy with his new speakers and then business and family started taking more time, so he changed his priorities.

Regardless, You and Tang and other audiophiles are on a What'sAP discussion group. You should ask him directly if he is unpleased with his new speakers. Did he ever mention that he is? And if he is, and the Cessaros are so good and he preferred them, he could simply switch back to his old speakers. No problem there. Has he done that and is he now listening happily to his system with the old Cessaros?

His midbass is weaker compared to what was in David's videos with this speaker. It could be the rear wave. Bionor and Eurodyn have a rear wave and the baffle helps the bass and tang has panels behind while David had open space. Just a guess. Rest of the kit is the same. So he might have to move them around more.

for compare, Here are a couple of others playing the same recording for a compare.

This one below is the Holbo that goes used for 3 - 4k including its LT arm, with a the lower priced Ikeda cart. Tang's video part here starts roughly around 2:10

And the Cessaro

Bonzo, is this video of Tang's Cessaro representative of how it sounds? I find it somewhat harsh and aggressive sounding with pronounced highs and lacking weight and body. Balance seems off. Why the recording from the corner? I would think that might enhance bass presentation.

Last edited:
Bonzo, is this video of Tang's Cessaro representative of how it sounds? I find it somewhat harsh and aggressive sounding with pronounced highs and lacking weight and body. Balance seems off. Why the recording from the corner? I would think that might enhance bass presentation.

This is his video, I linked to

My thoughts exactly from what i heard in the Cessaro Munich room :)

Does Tang have the Lamm LL1.1 phono that David used for those sample videos of Tang's speakers?

Regardless, You and Tang and other audiophiles are on a What'sAP discussion group. You should ask him directly if he is unpleased with his new speakers.

No he has the EMT phono.

Regarding the Eurodyn thing, he did not say he is displeased.

My thoughts exactly from what i heard in the Cessaro Munich room :)

I have never heard Cessaro sound good in Munich. Jeroen and tang both took a long time to get it to sound good

No he has the EMT phono.

Regarding the Eurodyn thing, he did not say he is displeased.

Thank you for clarifying. The different phonos could well be responsible in part for the different mid bass presentations of his new speakers at his place versus at David's, plus the fine tuning of those wings and subs. I understand that he really likes his new Eurodyn speakers. I hope this settles the innuendo that has been floating around various threads about Tang and his system.

• Haha
Reactions: adyc and Argonaut
I have never heard Cessaro sound good in Munich. Jeroen and tang both took a long time to get it to sound good

Well … at least Cessaro as a genuine company, actually exhibit their transducers at Munich … wannabe speaker manufacturers and agents of old ephemera merely snipe from the cover of the bushes !

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott Naylor
Thank you for clarifying. The different phonos could well be responsible in part for the different mid bass presentations of his new speakers at his place versus at David's, plus the fine tuning of those wings and subs. I understand that he really likes his new Eurodyn speakers. I hope this settles the innuendo that has been floating around various threads about Tang and his system.
Peter, you are solely responsible for this "innuendo".

This is how it started - with you saying the videos in both Utah and Tang's room of the Eurodyn are superb, you had also stated his videos were your favorite on Ron's acoustical video coupling thread (you have also recently stated Tima's videos are superb).

Till then, I had not mentioned anything, this is where the discussion starts https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/natural-sound.32867/post-922761

Like I said on that thread, if you had simply said that he is trying to get his system set up it would have been fine. This is not a cheerleading club for similar group buyers that you can make such best of video claims when they are far from sounding decent.

Peter, you are solely responsible for this "innuendo".

This is how it started - with you saying the videos in both Utah and Tang's room of the Eurodyn are superb, you had also stated his videos were your favorite on Ron's acoustical video coupling thread (you have also recently stated Tima's videos are superb).

Till then, I had not mentioned anything, this is where the discussion starts https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/natural-sound.32867/post-922761

Like I said on that thread, if you had simply said that he is trying to get his system set up it would have been fine. This is not a cheerleading club for similar group buyers that you can make such best of video claims when they are far from sounding decent.

I actually recall it very differently. Implications started a long time ago shortly after Tang got his new speakers and someone said he’s not listening to his new system anymore coupled with the opinion that his old speaker sounded much better. The inferred conclusion is obvious. But there were never details or confirmation just implied claims.

People started asking for details and someone said his cartridge is broken and his amps are broken, etc., etc. His wires were all switched out also. He got new subs and amps for those subs. The amps are repaired, he can listen to his system and from what I understand, he likes the sound of the system very much. He is just busy now.

I stand by my earlier comment, having watched the development videos and final videos of his new speakers at David’s place. They did sound superb and in some ways equal to the Bionors. The Eleanor Rigby video is truly outstanding.

I also stand by my comments about Tim’s videos of large scale classical music, Mahler and Beethoven in particular. They are superb in my opinion.

We clearly have different tastes and values for system presentations. That is fine with me and to be expected. As I have said before, I look forward to one day listening to your own system videos to see where you settle and perhaps comparing those to some of these Cessaro and Altec videos you like so much.

Reactions: tima
I actually recall it very differently. Implications started a long time ago shortly after Tang got his new speakers and someone said he’s not listening to his new system anymore coupled with the opinion that his old speaker sounded much better. The inferred conclusion is obvious. But there were never details or confirmation just implied claims.

I don't remember it starting before that thread, and the other time it woke up when you snottily asked me if I had heard Tang's eurodyn while debating me on the to cover up your tannoys, Klangfilm etc are not modified comment. I gave you an appropriate reply.
I stand by my earlier comment, having watched the development videos and final videos of his new speakers at David’s place. They did sound superb and in some ways equal to the Bionors. The Eleanor Rigby video is truly outstanding.

I also stand by my comments about Tim’s videos of large scale classical music, Mahler and Beethoven in particular. They are superb in my opinion.

We clearly have different tastes and values for system presentations. That is fine with me and to be expected. As I have said before, I look forward to one day listening to your own system videos to see where you settle and perhaps comparing those to some of these Cessaro and Altec videos you like so much.
Enjoy Eleanor Rigby.

You should PM Tang and Bill on what they think of the compare between Tim’s system and Altec system on the Mahler 2 Klemperer.

You should PM Tang and Bill on what they think of the compare between Tim’s system and Altec system on the Mahler 2 Klemperer.

What is the point? I listen and form my own opinion. I’m not here to argue with other people who disagree on system videos. It doesn’t matter to me what you or anyone else thinks of Tim’s videos. I like them and your criticism makes no difference to me.

Since you have revived Tang’s thread, perhaps we should stay focused on this subject.

What is the point? I listen and form my own opinion. I’m not here to argue with other people who disagree on system videos. It doesn’t matter to me what you or anyone else thinks of Tim’s videos. I like them and your criticism makes no difference to me.

Since you have revived Tang’s thread, perhaps we should stay focused on this subject.

the sub discussion on this thread were those 4 Heifetz videos and what followed, that’s over. So we can go back to other threads

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu