Zero Distortion: Tango Time

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Get the Maria yudina Goldberg variations from G on Melodiya. If anyone coughed when she was playing Stalin would shoot them.

I can't find what you're talking about. A lot of it is in Russian, so that might have something to do with it.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I can't find what you're talking about. A lot of it is in Russian, so that might have something to do with it.

Yeah difficult to find, almost impossible in good condition

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Whatever you're sending him G you must include an LP of the romantics that has Moravec's midnight sonata, his playing is so wonderfully delicate on this. Not that his Chopin and Brahms are any less :)...

david

David - you mean Moonlight?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Crash helmets required?

No, places you can buy any of them... They aren't all highly valuable, they're just mostly not for sale anywhere.

* I did pick one up on eBay... hopefully Tang will be able to find one, too.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
No, places you can buy any of them... They aren't all highly valuable, they're just mostly not for sale anywhere.

They are valuable because (at least the ones of those that I have heard) are superlative, both sonically and groom making you melt, plus they are not available in good condition anymore. By good, on LP jargon I mean even a real EX, far less NM. One of those Bundervoet I saw on discogs in VG condition listed for a 1000.

It is not easy to get quality pressings of quality performances in listenable condition easily. Problem with vinyl, nature of the beast is that vinyl can degrade with usage, and add to that the golden era was many decades ago...

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Stop making it so depressing. I'm just saying if you make a list that is intended for buying, it would only be cordial to include some that can currently be purchased. Sure, you may not get the most perfect copies but it is what it is..

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Stop making it so depressing. I'm just saying if you make a list that is intended for buying, it would only be cordial to include some that can currently be purchased. Sure, you may not get the most perfect copies but it is what it is..

For currently purchasable best are reissues of great performances. You can purchase cheap and new

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
There aren't reissues of, well, much of anything. They don't typically sound very good either except some of the really well done ones (although some reissues are absurdly priced).

Sometimes the music is great and you just got to listen anyways, even if it's not in the best condition.

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Whatever you're sending him G you must include an LP of the romantics that has Moravec's moonlight sonata, his playing is so wonderfully delicate on this. Not that his Chopin and Brahms are any less :)...

david
Thank you Khun David. It is a beautiful piece. I can imagine Dr.Lecter plays this piece while prepping his dinner. I will get one.

Tang :)

Reactions: ddk

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I am listening to this Accardo Diabolus. It arrived yesterday. This is one classical that is fun exciting and put a smile on my face. Sonically it is excellent. I was working signing documents and quite a few times I unconsciously raised my eyes to look at my front wall because some sounds triggered me so. The bell rings are so real from the right behind speaker. The staging of this piece is very deep and wide. So much air and ambient. This should work in advantage to Mike's system. The recording is very transparent. (More transparent than the £500 ERC Magda Bonzo so in love with :eek: Just have to brag him to see his relentless reaction...hehe) The orchestra and brass instruments could shock listeners with sudden dynamic and grandness. This album cost about $80 but you get two vinyls. Exciting music. I have many Accardo from Fone lebel but I think this Deutsche Gramophone is the best one.

16317277-F830-4DD0-8D1A-38C3DD58BBDB.jpeg

Btw, the second disc of this album has a hole too small for AS2000 spindle. This is the problem of AS2000.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I am listening to this Accardo Diabolus. It arrived yesterday. This is one classical that is fun exciting and put a smile on my face. Sonically it is excellent. I was working signing documents and quite a few times I unconsciously raised my eyes to look at my front wall because some sounds triggered me so. The bell rings are so real from the right behind speaker. The staging of this piece is very deep and wide. So much air and ambient. This should work in advantage to Mike's system. The recording is very transparent. (More transparent than the £500 ERC Magda Bonzo so in love with :eek: Just have to brag him to see his relentless reaction...hehe) The orchestra and brass instruments could shock listeners with sudden dynamic and grandness. This album cost about $80 but you get two vinyls. Exciting music. I have many Accardo from Fone lebel but I think this Deutsche Gramophone is the best one.

View attachment 50926

Btw, the second disc of this album has a hole too small for AS2000 spindle. This is the problem of AS2000.

Lol...I noticed the edit

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Let's try another piano. This one I bought twice because the first one Thai post broke my mint one. Now I have to settle for a near mint. It is Marta Deyanova playing Rach Preludes Op23 No5 G minor. It was recorded in a room with natural reverb. She also plays Op3 C sharp minor very interestingly. This one is €20. Great buy.

30795336-A694-4977-94AA-D7542B7B6175.jpeg

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Whatever you're sending him G you must include an LP of the romantics that has Moravec's moonlight sonata, his playing is so wonderfully delicate on this. Not that his Chopin and Brahms are any less :)...

david

Yes, wonderful. Also Für Elise. I know his Beethoven performances through the Connoisseur Society label.

Beehtoven Sonatas Moravec Connoisseur Society CS-1566.jpg

I'd love to have this in top-notch condition. Wonderful cover.

Last edited:
Reactions: ddk and kodomo

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Dear Tang,
While clearly less of a hipster than Ked I am also in my 50’s and tho I’ve listened to a lot of classical since my teens I must admit to being fairly unconscious about it. Since I now have the best system I have ever had for listening to classical (the SET and horns) I have spent a lot more time listening to classical this year and find this system a lot easier to discern what I love about performances and what not so much.

Yet still there are great composer masters who I just don’t get even after all these years (like Haydn) so if you aren’t yet into Beethoven after a short but clearly intensive discovery into classical that’s all fine given how much you have discovered already.

Beethoven was among my very earliest piano experiences. Each week on our local public radio broadcaster Karl Haas would lead me to classical Adventures in Good Music and his syndicated radio show signature opening theme was the adagio movement from Beethoven’s piano sonata no. 8.

While I have grown to love Beethoven’s late piano sonatas still the earlier ones have also stayed as sentimental favourites.

Vladimir Horowitz was very much an early piano influence but I’d say that at Beethoven Richard Goode is even gooder and that then much more recently Paul Lewis completely challenges my notions of these piano works and is both transcendental and introspective but always while still a bit unfamiliar also absolutely great... but after some 40 years of listening this recording would be on my desert island selection for Beethoven piano... Ivan Moravec in this late 60’s recording is among my very favourite Beethoven interpreters and I find the performances of these piano sonatas genuinely extraordinary. If you aren’t swayed by Beethoven after this no biggie tho. These are just one soul’s reflections and some personal preferences. Hope you enjoy.
Best wishes
Tao

I also did make the Moravec for Moonlight and Pathétique Sonatas play as a big last ditch gamble to swing Tang across to the Big B just a few weeks back (see above) but I fear to no avail... I think it’s fair to say if even the Moravec move doesn’t move Tang to roll over to Beethoven then he’s respectfully maybe just a classical loving guy who just doesn’t happen to like Beethoven and it may be permanent... which is not so outrageous as it first sounds... I spoke to my therapist at length about it and he said it was actually all fine and that many perfectly happy people indeed don’t ever listen to Beethoven... it’s quite a liberating thing to realise.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing