Zero Distortion: Tango Time

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I also did make the Moravec for Moonlight and Pathétique Sonatas play as a big last ditch gamble to swing Tang across to the Big B just a few weeks back (see above) but I fear to no avail... I think it’s fair to say if even the Moravec move doesn’t move Tang to roll over to Beethoven then he’s respectfully maybe just a classical loving guy who just doesn’t happen to like Beethoven and it may be permanent... which is not so outrageous as it first sounds... I spoke to my therapist at length about it and he said it was actually all fine and that many perfectly happy people indeed don’t ever listen to Beethoven... it’s quite a liberating thing to realise.
You are one funny person Tao. Now B is the new indicator for happiness. I will just have to keep buying B's. :D I don't know how I missed your post and link to Moravac there. That's good music.

Thanks guys for pouring me good music. My kid will eventually feel fortunate to have these music in his life too.

Tang :)

Reactions: the sound of Tao

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Many thanks Tang, I’m also getting so much from the way you are sharing your current journey into the classical world. It’s generated a lot of interest on the board, it’s a lot of fun and plenty of great suggestions come to light out of it.

I’m learning so much at the moment and enjoying being inspired to explore even further back to more vintage recordings now and then also going back through my library and then doing more comparisons to newer performances in the stream. It’s been a fantastic charge and invigorating to be able to share in these classical conversations.

So I’m enjoying and listening to more classical music than ever.

That you will leave a wonderful legacy of recorded treasures to your son (or Ked if his DNA results are indeed successfully altered) is absolutely great. That you leave a treasure trail of videos on your system is good for the rest of us. I’m just now listening to Sir Adrian Boult’s Elgar Enigma Variations (the 1970 recording with the LSO)... the Nimrod is timeless. There’s so much left to discover. Happy listening and thanks.

Reactions: Lagonda and bonzo75

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
That you will leave a wonderful legacy of recorded treasures to your son (or Ked if his DNA results are indeed successfully altered) is absolutely great. That you leave a treasure trail of videos on your system is good for the rest of us. I’m just now listening to Sir Adrian Boult’s Elgar Enigma Variations (the 1970 recording with the LSO)... the Nimrod is timeless. There’s so much left to discover. Happy listening and thanks.

Please Tao I am already thinking having him (Ked) as a friend is my karma. :oops:

G also sent me that Elgar Enigma but I haven't got to play. Will be on my things to listen this week.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
@zerostargeneral
I looked at the records you showed and saw Reine Gianoli. I just now realized I bought one of her record on Mendelssohn Westminster label last week. This lady is extraordinary. Her version of Mendelssohn is totally unlike others. I listened to it and just had to buy.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I only have a couple Beethoven things I like at all. He just doesn't do it for me typically. However, the Concerto No. 4 , piano, is really good.

Reactions: tima

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I only have a couple Beethoven things I like at all. He just doesn't do it for me typically. However, the Concerto No. 4 , piano, is really good.
I am liking B sonatas, the Moonlight, the Tempest Folsom. Not yet if ever a Concerto. I am not forcing myself to it.

After you guide me to Bloch I did a bit of searching. I found this Isaac Stern very good sonically.

BAAB779C-F0A3-47E9-9E2F-5A52CD8E9FC9.jpeg
There is one thing about audio that needs no golden ear to hear, that is clarity and transparency. This aspect is without preference or prejudice. Anyone could hear it equally. The record above has that. The kind of clarity I like is one that has so little veil you can hear space between instruments with depth to the back and sometime like the air in my room and recording venue are fused together. This clarity also makes texture and energy of sound more tangible. Older records seem to have this more imo. Anyway thanks to you I found this record at £25. What a good buy. Here is Bloch Ligun.

Tang

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Sold, I need to grab a copy. I got a few other Bloch things, too. None are quite as amazing as that one of RJ.

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Loved that Bloch. I am going to get it. Thanks Tang kun :)

Has anyone heard of this one; Marcelle Meyer plays Debussy by French Record Company. It is limited to 200 and costs 800euros.
https://www.frenchrecordcompany.com Is this becoming another thing after ERC. This one is not a reissue though.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I suggest picking up a Philips copy of rostropovich Richter Beethoven cello sonatas (2 LP box). Even the cheaper digital ones are good, as are the represses, of course those who can afford can pick up the higher editions. ED1 in a great condition can cost up to a 1000 and that might change if someone buys one or two copies, but the cheaper ones are also excellent.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Loved that Bloch. I am going to get it. Thanks Tang kun :)

Has anyone heard of this one; Marcelle Meyer plays Debussy by French Record Company. It is limited to 200 and costs 800euros.
https://www.frenchrecordcompany.com Is this becoming another thing after ERC. This one is not a reissue though.

I don't like those super limited super expensive runs. As if old and rare isn't bad enough, that stuff sends any possible new audiophiles running and screaming clutching onto their wallet tightly.

This might be good. It probably sounds like this.

Reactions: kodomo

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I think Ked is talking about this.

MikeL told me if you see old Rostapovich it's a good grab, so far seems to be true.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I am liking B sonatas, the Moonlight, the Tempest Folsom. Not yet if ever a Concerto. I am not forcing myself to it.

After you guide me to Bloch I did a bit of searching. I found this Isaac Stern very good sonically.

View attachment 51067
There is one thing about audio that needs no golden ear to hear, that is clarity and transparency. This aspect is without preference or prejudice. Anyone could hear it equally. The record above has that. The kind of clarity I like is one that has so little veil you can hear space between instruments with depth to the back and sometime like the air in my room and recording venue are fused together. This clarity also makes texture and energy of sound more tangible. Older records seem to have this more imo. Anyway thanks to you I found this record at £25. What a good buy. Here is Bloch Ligun.

Tang
That’s great thank you Tang, I hadn’t heard Stern’s Nigun... nice and intense. Great stuff. Will be going on the shopping list.
Tao

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Lola bobesco, Beethoven violin concerto

Reactions: zerostargeneral

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I suggest picking up a Philips copy of rostropovich Richter Beethoven cello sonatas (2 LP box). Even the cheaper digital ones are good, as are the represses, of course those who can afford can pick up the higher editions. ED1 in a great condition can cost up to a 1000 and that might change if someone buys one or two copies, but the cheaper ones are also excellent.
On Violin and piano or Cello and piano piece, I find the good ones regardless of price normally has the piano sound more clear and not warmly veiled. (My reference of not veiled could be different though) You could hear piano more as part of the performance together with the violin or cello.

I don't remember where I got the reissue Rostropovich/Richter from but it is veiled. The Rostropovic Super Disc is also veiled.

Regardless of one finds my vids his cup of tea or not, I will not post a vid of a pressing that I found veiled in my system so that if someone who is interested to buy will get a more transparent sound from the vinyl.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
On Violin and piano or Cello and piano piece, I find the good ones regardless of price normally has the piano sound more clear and not warmly veiled. (My reference of not veiled could be different though) You could hear piano more as part of the performance together with the violin or cello.

I don't remember where I got the reissue Rostropovich/Richter from but it is veiled. The Rostropovic Super Disc is also veiled.

Regardless of one finds my vids his cup of tea or not, I will not post a vid of a pressing that I found veiled in my system so that if someone who is interested to buy will get a more transparent sound from the vinyl.

The originals, even ed2, are superb recordings. You have a digital recording. It was sent by the General in your first box to show you what a digitally recorded lower priced one can be like.

Based on that I bought a cheap ed2 from the market and it is excellent. I have heard the G's ED1 and it is mind blowing.

Also, I played mine on the yamamura and we could not stop listening

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I think I'm with Tang on Pianos. Too many recordings of them round it all off and you don't hear much depth. Now if it's with an orchestra then they can't mic it as sensitively. I still stand by Concerto 4, but it's the only one where piano and orchestra meld beautifully. All the other piano things I like are not with orchestra, typically.

Violin I can tolerate poorer recordings if it's really good, because usually the violin comes across well even if everything else is meh.

Cello is tough, I like it full bodied and real... you don't get that all the time, or much of it. Even on one label where one is breath taking, the next is not.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think I'm with Tang on Pianos. Too many recordings of them round it all off and you don't hear much depth. Now if it's with an orchestra then they can't mic it as sensitively. I still stand by Concerto 4, but it's the only one where piano and orchestra meld beautifully. All the other piano things I like are not with orchestra, typically.

Violin I can tolerate poorer recordings if it's really good, because usually the violin comes across well even if everything else is meh.

Cello is tough, I like it full bodied and real... you don't get that all the time, or much of it. Even on one label where one is breath taking, the next is not.

Well I disagree with you guys on the piano but that's fine. I also don't see why poor violin records have to be tolerated given that there are so many excellent ones

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

Maybe afew years from now I say different but at the moment my finding is exactly like what you say. My take on cello is also the same. Cello is one instrument I think is difficult to write a concerto on because you cannot easily gat an easy high dynamic jump factor making it a star to stand out like piano or violin. Cello need a great clever orchestra to build drama for it in my shallow opinion. I also think if your system is not up to it you wont get a wow on cello concerto. I am not talking about a solo cello and one that is close mic.

Kind regards,
Tang

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I lose out on lots of piano and cello pieces because they aren't tolerable - even though they're played beautifully. But if the violin is, why the hell would I avoid it and listen to some other piece that isn't it? You make no sense, Ked.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing