Zero Distortion: Tango Time

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Two Lollipops by Michael Rabin. Tone, technique, emotion. Wow. You can't take your eyes away.
Kreisler Caprice Viennois and Tambourin Chinois

Reactions: RussR

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Fresh change from discussing 15k cartridge vs new model of 15k cartridge.

Tang, what's the formula for performances. Do you keep the same label and performer throughout like your tonearm and phono, or do you vary it like your turntables and carts?
No formula. Just when I hear music that connect to me, I search deeper for available variations...ask you for opinion of course because you like to spend my money. Then I choose one or two. If two they must be quite different from one another. For example the Kogan Chaconne vs Prihoda Chaconne. Then I help myself buying one to hear on vinyl. If that vinyl turns out to sound good then I am lucky. I stop at that and not trying to find even better one like you. On contrary, if it sucks, I would ask the General for better sounding one. But for the pieces that I really like I will just head direct to the General.

Kind regards,
Tang

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Here is a mono Kogan album, Russian label, come in two vinyls one on Brahms and the other on Lalo. I like Kondrashin for conductor. Imo, it is a good buy. Live recording in 1959 gives special feeling. I have quite a few albums from this Russian Melodiya. Many of them are quite good. This particular album has more surface noise than audiophile vinyl though. The coughing and some weird noises are from the recording.

DEC0AC59-D641-4BBF-BA31-A0485D0830A0.jpeg

Tang :)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Tang, don't you like Sibelius Violin Concerto. It seems it may fit your taste.

I do. I am still searching which interpretation of whom I like most. There are just so many interesting pieces to explore. We are only talking violin here but I am also interested in Piano and Cello.

Kind regards,
Tang

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I do. I am still searching which interpretation of whom I like most. There are just so many interesting pieces to explore. We are only talking violin here but I am also interested in Piano and Cello.

Kind regards,
Tang

Solos or concertos?

And what about orchestra?

And if you do that will leave behind some of the best music in leider and opera.

The greatest concert I ever saw was Bach's st Mathew passion.

You can have some choral music with minimal or no instruments. It is wonderful.

Dcc and Montesquieu listen to music that stops where the classical era starts. This is also what plays loads at wigmore hall here. Lute, harpsichord and other instruments like baryton

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I agree that act of an under arm delivery on the last ball with so few runs required by New Zealand to win was and is still seen as a very despicable act .
Very wrong yes, horribly poor sportsmanship certainly but despicable is a term I would save for greater acts of inhumanity perhaps... but there has been poor sportsmanship on all sides unfortunately as well as moments of greatness...

And talking about greatness am just listening to Leonid Kogan on fire with his steely tone running fierce with a triple... the Barber, Bunin and Barsukov Violin concertos... the horns, 805s and 300Bs are loving every moment. Am accompanying with tempura sushi and pickled ginger and a glass of Shiraz goodness. Oh my I be lovin this music.

RussR

Dec 30, 2017
Gold Coast ,Queensland,Australia
Here is a mono Kogan album, Russian label, come in two vinyls one on Brahms and the other on Lalo. I like Kondrashin for conductor. Imo, it is a good buy. Live recording in 1959 gives special feeling. I have quite a few albums from this Russian Melodiya. Many of them are quite good. This particular album has more surface noise than audiophile vinyl though. The coughing and some weird noises are from the recording.

View attachment 49560

That moment the violinist started I had goose bumps up my arms and legs even over my laptop speakers LOL.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
.. Am accompanying with tempura sushi and pickled ginger and a glass of Shiraz goodness. Oh my I be lovin this music.

Next time pls include Salmon and Unagi rolls too.

A383CE45-B0B9-431E-AFC3-652AC6E5A684.jpeg
0380A5A3-74E5-41E6-B1E4-D0A2904520C4.jpeg

Yum yum,

Reactions: bonzo75 and Leif S

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Hmmmm, Yuuuummm. Nice!
Thanks Tang for the suggestion. Hungry now.
Tao

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
That moment the violinist started I had goose bumps up my arms and legs even over my laptop speakers LOL.

Yeah Tang’s system really does sound captivating. It is funny how many folks dismiss off hand the validity of YouTube vids as a means of understanding a system - you can easily tell that Tang’s system is right up there from his clips.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yeah Tang’s system really does sound captivating. It is funny how many folks dismiss off hand the validity of YouTube vids as a means of understanding a system - you can easily tell that Tang’s system is right up there from his clips.

You couldn't from Hilary Hahn droning along on that crappy track before, and yet people were then willing to comment on what they thought of the respective carts

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

View attachment 49560

Tang was that you coughing around 2:20 or so? If in the actual concert you would have been shot (though luckily this was after Stalin)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Taday is my jazz day. Highly recommend this 45 pressing. I also have the 33 but 45 is superior. The sax, the guitar, the drum are so "in the room." The drum is further back but you could still hear nuance of drum skin from distance. Almeida's guitar is effortless. His guitar reflect the flow of his cherish feeling. Room ambient is all there with small natural reverb. The big reverb from sax is probably from sound engineer. Extremely quiet pressing.

B30B6E4D-E35B-47CD-952E-3E3F03140976.jpeg
6EB33B0C-26E7-4AD6-971F-521B41129C36.jpeg

Reactions: NorthStar

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
@Ron Resnick . How could you not expand your musical horizon when there are so many great preformances like this around.

Thanks Tang. Great video and performance. You make me want to be a better videophile. I'm thinking of replacing my turntable with a large screen video source to both watch and hear such performances from my system. Forget analog versus digital debates. The real debate is vinyl versus YouTube! I could even chanel your system through YouTube instead of flying all the way over there like Bonzo did.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks Tang. Great video and performance. You make me want to be a better videophile. I'm thinking of replacing my turntable with a large screen video source to both watch and hear such performances from my system. Forget analog versus digital debates. The real debate is vinyl versus YouTube! I could even chanel your system through YouTube instead of flying all the way over there like Bonzo did.

Peter, did you see this? This video is indeed better than what I heard his system do when I flew over

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Peter, did you see this? This video is indeed better than what I heard his system do when I flew over

Because my system comparatively sucked back then..hehe :p

Kind regards,
Tang

Reactions: jeff1225

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Taday is my jazz day. Highly recommend this 45 pressing. I also have the 33 but 45 is superior. The sax, the guitar, the drum are so "in the room." The drum is further back but you could still hear nuance of drum skin from distance. Almeida's guitar is effortless. His guitar reflect the flow of his cherish feeling. Room ambient is all there with small natural reverb. The big reverb from sax is probably from sound engineer. Extremely quiet pressing.

Dear Tang,

i have the 33rpm version and do enjoy it, and would expect a 45rpm version to be considerably better.

wondered if you know how they did the 45rpm version since the 33rpm is a direct to disc pressing? does it say on the jacket?

or possibly my assumption is wrong......'direct cutting' in this case is not direct to disc?

was the 45 from a tape 'safety' master? or was it cut from the same mic feed as the 33rpm on a different lathe?

thanks.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Thanks Ked. No, I had not seen/heard that. My iMac with Sennheiser headphones is my new reference rig and Tang's latest videos are my reference recordings. I must emphasize the importance of the performance from the VdH, 3012R, and AS2000, Lamm and horns working in unison, the iPhone/Samsung recording equipment and Tang conducting. Great Stuff!

I yearn for Elgar's Cello Concerto as interpreted by Jacqueline Du Pre. Mistro Tang?

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks Ked. No, I had not seen/heard that. My iMac with Sennheiser headphones is my new reference rig and Tang's latest videos are my reference recordings. I must emphasize the importance of the performance from the VdH, 3012R, and AS2000, Lamm and horns working in unison, the iPhone/Samsung recording equipment and Tang conducting. Great Stuff!

I yearn for Elgar's Cello Concerto as interpreted by Jacqueline Du Pre. Mistro Tang?

On the way. Tang, play him your hoelscher dvorak instead.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing