Zero Distortion: Tango Time

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Hi, Tango. A few others had suggested that I check out some of your in-room recordings and I must say some of your in-room recordings are rather impressive and you're to be commended on assembling a pretty musical playback system. Far more musical than many I've heard here and elsewhere.

But I'm curious about this Echo piece. You said above that this is "so damn realistic" and I'm curious why you say that? I've heard some of your other in-room recordings and I thought some of them were significantly more realistic than this piece.
Youtube don't show little micro dynamic, small nuances, micro textures, dimensionality, small stuff that poke at you while listening even when you don't pay attention. That guy was right there standing right behind my right side speaker singing to me. And the piano on the left. Listen to the high keys at the end of the song. There is nothing covering up notes that are vibrating. No warmth smear. Also have to give credit to the vdh Master Sig. It is the most revealing cart imo.

Kind regards,
Tang

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Will do Tima. I am out picking up my kid for piano lesson now.

That's good. Maybe you should post his impressions of the recordings instead

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The piano on the Echos sounds fantastic even on this video. Tone and dynamic range is so high

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Maybe if he grows up on real music he will never like his dad's audiophile system so I still have hope of getting some of that stuff

Reactions: zerostargeneral

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
[
Live piano sound, Schiff on Bosendorfer

You sat too far away from the stage to get any good sound. Why didn't you steal a seat from a lady in the front row during intermission this time.

Tang

Reactions: zerostargeneral

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
[

You sat too far away from the stage to get any good sound. Why didn't you steal a seat from a lady in the front row during intermission this time.

Tang

Why is the angle of the video so low showing us a nice view of the back of the lady's head and the ceiling? I suspect it was made on the QT. Ironic since it is being shared on line in an effort to judge sound quality and "QT" is an abbreviation of the word "quiet". Too funny.

Perhaps Ron should start another poll asking people if it is OK to take such secret videos. :)

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I think it is more that Ked wouldn’t want to be “seen” to be holding up his phone in such a concert - it would be deemed inappropriate / socially unacceptable. But equally he wanted to give us a snippet of real sound from a great pianist playing fab music. I don’t think what he did is in any way a faux pas as “normal” folks would find our audiophile ways weird anyway. If he video’d the whole concert to profit from it then that is of course not cool.

Reactions: bonzo75

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I think it is more that Ked wouldn’t want to be “seen” to be holding up his phone in such a concert - it would be deemed inappropriate / socially unacceptable. But equally he wanted to give us a snippet of real sound from a great pianist playing fab music. I don’t think what he did is in any way a faux pas as “normal” folks would find our audiophile ways weird anyway. If he video’d the whole concert to profit from it then that is of course not cool.

Completely agree. I think the sound suffers from the low position buried between seats though. It's always nice to hear a good pianist playing good music, regardless of fidelity. As a speaker manufacturer once asked me, "Hey, you can recognize that it's your mother's voice over the telephone, can't you?"

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Completely agree. I think the sound suffers from the low position buried between seats though. It's always nice to hear a good pianist playing good music, regardless of fidelity. As a speaker manufacturer once asked me, "Hey, you can recognize that it's your mother's voice over the telephone, can't you?"

That being said there is no fooling us that this is a hifi rather than a real event. So despite the angled iPhone, the recording easily discriminates real from reproduced.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Reactions: tima

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Ravel Tzigane is another one of my favorite piece on violin. In Tzigane you have all kind of emotional feelings from mysteriously sentimental to a joyful festive feeling. Imo Heifetz played this piece more wonderful than others. The video is 7:42 minutes long because I wish people who is not familiar with this piece listen how interesting this piece with Heifetz could be. It costed me $35. Side A is Tchaikovsky Concerto, not excellent in term of performance and sound. But Tzigane on the second side is a lot different from side A and makes it worth owning. I was using my second Master Sig. It has less than 30 hours. I expect its transparency and resolution will keep getting better like my first one.

AD95960D-D4C4-41BE-8A15-7AEBE45ACA17.jpeg

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Tang, I am listening to it right now and it sounds simply marvelous.
Your hi-fi system gives the music food to my soul.
There is not one single pop or click, the music is reproduced extremely cleanly.
It is very pleasing, there is none of that digital glare present with most digital recordings.

Chapeau monsieur, your analog rig is of the top orders.
Everything high caliber.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Tang, I am listening to it right now and it sounds simply marvelous.
Your hi-fi system gives the music food to my soul.
There is not one single pop or click, the music is reproduced extremely cleanly.
It is very pleasing, there is none of that digital glare present with most digital recordings.

Chapeau monsieur, your analog rig is of the top orders.
Everything high caliber.
Thanks for your kind words Bob. The click and pops are always there with vinyls. But after a while our ears just learn how to separate them from music and ignore them like air conditioning sound...but of course only when they are not so bad ;).

Kind regards,
Tang

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
If I see an empty seat in your room I might move in.

My seat is in front of my computer where I can experience a small fraction of the true sound of Tang's incredible system. I really enjoy these videos. They used to be about cartridge and arm and turntable comparisons, accommodating requests from the curious. Those wars are now settled. This new batch of videos are about the wonderful music Tang is discovering and happily sharing with us on the other side of the world.

Bravo, Tang!

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Think this is a Bosendorfer
How many times do I have to tell you that your phone sucks. (Your photo taking skill sucks too.) Get a Samsung or a Huawei. They will do the job for you even you suck. And you need to release the lock on automatic rotation function so that you can put your camera angle to landscape when you turn your hand. Your blog will be a lot more attractive if you have better phone. Just a pair of good ears and honest writing are not enough these days. ;)

Btw, do I already have that Lefebure Bach? If I don't can you have G send me one pls.

Kindest regards,

Tang

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes you already have it

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing