Zero Distortion: The General's System - Pnoe, Thomas Mayer, Vyger, Original LPs

http://zero-distortion.org/pnoe-horns-with-aer-bd4-5-drivers-vygerthomas-mayer/

This article is for vinyl junkies, some digital only guys will not relate, but it is about my top 3 rooms, and insight into original pressings at one, if not the largest collector and reseller of vinyl in the world, who luckily lives in the city and I can visit regularly

Notes on:

1. Pnoe horns with the costliest drivers in the world, the full range crossoverless 120 db. BD5 from AER (now around 50k GBP for the pair), and comparison with the lower model BD4
  2. Thomas Mayer phono vs Vyger phono, Thomas Mayer 1.25 and 3w amps with a valve called the 46 (valve rarely made after the 1940s), Thomas Mayer 211 amps, and NAT Magma compare
  3. Further notes on the Vyger Indian signature and Atlantis with the Red Sparrow
  4. Comparison of recording engineers, verticuts and ortofon Lyrec cut LPs with other cuts.

Comments

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
There were a lot of great artists (musicians and conductors) on Philips and a lot of great music. Some overlook the label because it's not RCA or EMI/Decca. I've found the more improved is my vinyl front-end, the better Philips sound - the music is there. Arthur Grumiaux, Claudio Arrau, Richter, Quartetto Italiano, D. Oistrakh to name a few.
They did for some time master on Audiostatic speakers I heard...

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
One day I put this beauty into use :) ! I figured out 46 can be da bomb about 20yrs ago studying its datasheets. Then everyone was obsessed with 45, 50, 2A3 etc. Was very happy to see Thomas Mayer rediscovering it too recently and confirimed its outstanding qualities. One day, baby, one day you will glow :)
Zdjęcie 25.01.2019, 13 35 03.jpg

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
General, my birthday this weekend

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Going to Ked's birthday smacks of hours of food consumption. By the time the general leaves he might be the Rear Admiral

Jan 29, 2012
There were a lot of great artists (musicians and conductors) on Philips and a lot of great music. Some overlook the label because it's not RCA or EMI/Decca. I've found the more improved is my vinyl front-end, the better Philips sound - the music is there. Arthur Grumiaux, Claudio Arrau, Richter, Quartetto Italiano, D. Oistrakh to name a few.
Tima,
Please keep your thoughts on Philips recordings to yourself. These excellent sounding records are still inexpensive, let's keep them that way.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Jeffrey, Ive never yet bought a Philips that wasn't excellent SQ and even more excellent VFM.

May 30, 2010
Portugal
Tima,
Please keep your thoughts on Philips recordings to yourself. These excellent sounding records are still inexpensive, let's keep them that way.
Why? I have a few of them, including some large complete works boxes, and would feel good thinking they are valuable. :)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
BTW this kind gesture by Ked and everyone involved is for me what brings so much fun from the hobby and kindles life long friendships.

Kudos

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 4, 2014
Tima,
Yes, I never should have mentioned Philips. Recordings such as Grumiaux's Mozart Quintets should remain obscure.

Now that you mention it, I'll stay mum about those other twp labels.

May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yes, I never should have mentioned Philips. Recordings such as Grumiaux's Mozart Quintets should remain obscure.

Now that you mention it, I'll stay mum about those other twp labels.
No, people should be focusing on the Grumiaux's Mozart Quintets - I need a new mint copy of the Schubert Trios, my too many times played pressing needs replacement ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing