Any Bergmann "Galder" owners here ?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Any thoughts on my fairly unique solution? A 9kg Al platter, but the lp rests on a half dozen small Delrin pods bonded to the platter ie not contact of lp directly w platter.

I then use a heavy periphery ring and medium mass (450g) record weight to mate lp as fully as possible to the Delrin pods.

Well, it is an old idea. Out local Michell Enginering distributor owns the Transcriptor Hydraulic Reference - I see it regularly on display. I never listened to it, it is now a collectible.
a1.jpeg

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Not really Marc pressure points like that don't make sense to me except that it's an easy way to deal with resonance. I don't know if you recall Transcriptor Skeleton tts were made with the same idea first.

david
Yes, I thought I'd seen something similar. That's the one. All I can say Dave is that whatever the craziness w this idea, it really works. Delrin is softer than vinyl, so no damage to lps balancing them on these pods. And Vic's design utilises Delrin on the rim drive wheel and stripe bonded to the periphery of the platter that the rim wheel contacts.

David

Aug 11, 2012
hello
a question please : how silent is the the vacuum pump on the Bergmann's turntables ?
Is it totally dead silent ? or we can hear it into the room ?

hogen

May 15, 2018
Oslo, Norway
hello
a question please : how silent is the the vacuum pump on the Bergmann's turntables ?
Is it totally dead silent ? or we can hear it into the room ?
Mine is totally silent, no problem to have in the same room at all.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I had Sindre for 4 years and my friend has Sindre
You can put the pump near your sit and don't listen anything
For Galder is same

Reactions: Philip O Hanlon

Walnut Horns

May 11, 2015
Philip,

I have a Bergman Galder/Odin combo. Mine is all black which I feel is the best look for my system and personal taste. In fact I cannot walk by without noting its beauty. I have a ZYX Universe Optimum mounted in the arm which I think sounds amazing. It retains that ZYX warm sound with substantially more detailed imaging and sound stage than I have heard on 12" pivots. I believe that the increased focus and sound stage details is largely attributable the ease of the arm maintaining tangentiality all the way across the record. It has a sound that is very distinctly a straight tracker (my fourth and clearly the best of what I have owned in including a Rockport Sirius 6000 and M&K Rabco (mine is #120/120 meaning it was the most advanced of the series)).t

The overall design of the combo is just is amazing. It is "breataking" from an industrial design perspective and undoubtedly incredibally sophisticated and yet simple in a way that I can only describe as "exquisite". I got mine in early September and am still tweaking, partially because it is new as was my ZYX and thus still breaking in.

I live in a hostile environment with salt water on two sides of my house, which can increase the friction on the arm tube, although Johnny has a clever and easy way to correct for this on the fly by adjusting the arm pressure to insure that the arm sits properly on the tube with no contact on any side of the arm's air bearing so that when that slides on the arm air tube there is always an air gap of 360 degrees between the arm air tube and the air bearing ring at the base of the arm.

I believe that Johnny's design of using a fairly long air bearing tube at the base of the arm means that as it moves along the air bar there are more jets within, than if the tube was shorter as is the case with my Rockport. It seems like it also helps insure tangentiality at all times. There is abolutely no image shift as the arm progresses as is the case with most straight trackers, which I believe is helped by its width and the absense of minor lacks of tangentiality and the drive system then shifting it back to tangential

The only thing I am not fond of is adjusting the counter weight, because the arm is so light that miniscule changes to with counter weight can easily make a bigger tracking force change greater than desired. So what that means is patience is necessary to get the force just right, compared to a unipivot where the total arm mass so much bigger that counter weight changes do not impact tracking to the extent that they on the Bergmann.

I live at the Jersey Shore about an hour from NYC and just a bit further to Philly. My entire system is new with everything breaking in and thus fluctuating sound, plus several electrical and vibration issues that are being resolved. While it usually sounds pretty amazing, it still has it's days. The system design is essentially a younger sib of the Von Schweikert/VAC system that always wins best of show, with me having VSA Ultra 9's instead of Ultra 11's and less VAC power.

If this peaks your interest, let me know and we can figure out a visit.
I live in North Jersey and would welcome the opportunity to visit to listen to the Galder when possible.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Hi Philip,
As someone who knows what's out there in the industry as well as anyone and who has imported some of the most musical gear humans have ever designed, what attracted you to this table (outside the looks)?

System_April20.jpg

Brought the Gryphon Ethos CD player downstairs to the living room on Saturday morning; spoilt for superb sources.
Using the Gryphon Essence amp at the moment, started out with the Mephisto. The Essence is sweeter sounding than the Mephisto, a matter of personal taste. Clearly the Mephisto is the more resolving amplifier of the two amps.

The Bergmann Odin linear tracking arm was surprisingly easy to set up. Using the factory-supplied protractor, it was the easiest cartridge set up, ever.

Sounds superb; zero, truly zero tracking errors. From the start of the record through to the end.
The sound is very even-handed, no spotlighting of any frequencies. Still playing around with dialing in the correct cartridge loading for a Brinkman Pi (motor assembly by Benz Micro). The next cartridge will be my Van den Hul Colibri Platinum.
Operation is superb; most functions are automatic and intelligently thought out, clearly a mature product. Most of the functions on the Galder are automatic. Once everything is turned on, you only need to select 33 or 45.
The vacuum hold-down is automatic; it’s a trip to watch the record being sucked down, like a wave around the record until it’s flat. Lift the record weight and the vacuum hold-down is disengaged. Replace the record weight & the vacuum hold-down is activated.
Tested speed accuracy with the RPM turntable App +0.01%, so I measured 33.34 or 33.32

Records are over before you know it, truly a time-traveling machine.

Ran out of time, too many records to listen to. I wanted to conduct an AB comparison of a record on the Galder, compared to a CD in the Ethos. I have the 2019 Beatles “Abbey Road”, Lori Lieberman “The Girl With A Cat” and Isabeau Corriveau “A Leap Of Faith” all on CD & LP.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That is wonderful, Philip!

What kind of platform is the Galder resting on?

The Galder is currently on an active Vibraplane but I plan on upgrading to an Artesania KRION turntable platform, resting on an Artesania Exoteryc rack - I know the importer, its just a question of finding the time to dismantle everything & change out the rack - no small task. The current rack is a bespoke solid copper affair with Rix Rax shelves.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The Galder is currently on an active Vibraplane but I plan on upgrading to an Artesania KRION turntable platform, resting on an Artesania Exoteryc rack - I know the importer, its just a question of finding the time to dismantle everything & change out the rack - no small task. The current rack is a bespoke solid copper affair with Rix Rax shelves.
Philip

I thought you were the importer for Artesania??

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Glad to hear you got your Galder, Phil!
It's a beast of a turntable! Maybe due to Bergmann's understated look and design ethos, it doesn't get as much attention as other brands/products.

Reactions: Steve Williams

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Thank you, Philip.

What is the thinking on passive versus active isolation platforms under the Galder?

Does Johnnie Bergmann recommend one approach or the other?

Last edited:
Reactions: hogen
Have been listening to the Galder for a few weeks now with the Brinkmann Pi MC cartridge (Benz Micro motor assembly) mounted on the Odin linear tracking tonearm and must say that once I sorted out the loading on the Gryphon Legatto phono stage - the latter allows one to use any value resistor in a particular socket on the board; I am THRILLED with the result. Interesting how subconsciously noticeable the lack of tracking distortion is. There is an effortless to the system, where the side of the record is over before you know it. Loveley even handed presenattion with terrific dynamics on Dominique Fils-Aimé's album Nameless - check out Birds or Feeling Good. Demonstration quality.
At a later stage, I will mount the Van den Hul Colibri platinum but for now I am enjoying the Pi immensely . Next up, I will try step up moving coil transformers, acquired upon the advice of the late Art Dudley.
Am also thinking of getting the non-magnetic stainless steel platter & record clamp for the Galder, replacing the aluminium platter & clamp that arrive as standard. Tried an HRS stainless steel record clamp on Friday & was pleased with the results; vocals had more weight & gravitas. Not a huge improvement, but noticeable to me & my listening buddy.
The Bergmann turntable system is very well thought through & a joy to use.
The vacuum hold down is a trip to watch in action. I never tire of watching this party trick.
Hats off to Johnnie Bergmann !

hogen

May 15, 2018
Oslo, Norway
Have been listening to the Galder for a few weeks now with the Brinkmann Pi MC cartridge (Benz Micro motor assembly) mounted on the Odin linear tracking tonearm and must say that once I sorted out the loading on the Gryphon Legatto phono stage - the latter allows one to use any value resistor in a particular socket on the board; I am THRILLED with the result. Interesting how subconsciously noticeable the lack of tracking distortion is. There is an effortless to the system, where the side of the record is over before you know it. Loveley even handed presenattion with terrific dynamics on Dominique Fils-Aimé's album Nameless - check out Birds or Feeling Good. Demonstration quality.
At a later stage, I will mount the Van den Hul Colibri platinum but for now I am enjoying the Pi immensely . Next up, I will try step up moving coil transformers, acquired upon the advice of the late Art Dudley.
Am also thinking of getting the non-magnetic stainless steel platter & record clamp for the Galder, replacing the aluminium platter & clamp that arrive as standard. Tried an HRS stainless steel record clamp on Friday & was pleased with the results; vocals had more weight & gravitas. Not a huge improvement, but noticeable to me & my listening buddy.
The vacuum hold down is a trip to watch in action. I never tire of watching this party trick.

Is it possible to use another record clamp and still have the vacuum hold down? I thought the clamp was necessary for the hold down to work.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Philip, only one drawback. When I lined up my first lp using my recently installed LT arm, the lack of indication that lead out grooves were fast approaching REALLY took me by suprise.
I have a handful of albums w sides lasting 30mins, but you'd be hard pressed to detect any "tightening" twds side end.
Miles Davis "He Loved Him Madly" off "Get Up With It" a prime example.

108CY

May 4, 2013
The 90 lbs copper platter is likely a significant upgrade to the standard aluminum (?) platter and should go a long way via mass loading to correcting the bass issue noted by Mik.

I have heard the copper platter on the Galder it makes a huge difference to the lower end, It also provides extra texture in the midrange its a great combination in that guise. The Galder also benefits greatly from experimenting with isolation.

Mik

Last edited:
XV1.jpg

Yesterday I installed a Dynavector XV-1S on to the Odin tonearm. A lot more resolute than the Brinkmann Pi (Benz Micro motor) with lovely extended high frequencies; cymbals have lots of air around them. Has a lovely involving midrange.
Currently running 300 ohms loading into the Gryphon Legatto; any advice on what value has worked well for you ?
Thanks,
Philip

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Any updates from Galder owners? This is the TT I really desire right now especially with the 40kg platter.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing