Audio Critique

Status
Not open for further replies.
most audiophiles method for audio judgment is “I like/prefer it so it is better” , it means most audiophiles listen to sound of A vs B and focus on which is their favorite, if they prefer A then they think A is better.
I guess that what we like/prefer is not necessarily in line with a theoretical perfect balance between clarity, dynamics and tonality. It mainly depends on the type of listener we are and what is more important for us re clarity, dynamics and tonality. Then we tend to use our preferences to juge our system and gears. It’s a subjective hobby on which we try to apply objective attributes.

Since I'm sensitive to HF being "off" or any frequencies "sticking out" from what is "natural," if these are not present it is likely that I will be pulled into the music. Perhaps it is just a matter of lowering distortion to a threshold beyond which I am no longer distracted by the gear. Music emerges, not sound per se. If that makes sense...
Sometimes the HF amplitude is not the problem and the real problem is the HF phase response.
For example loudspeaker position, speaker step response in time domain can affect on phase.

Why I think the method of “I like A more than B so A is better than B” is not a good method?
Because many/most audiophiles for some reasons lose their ability to recognize the better sound.

The reasons of audiophiles wrong reaction to sound :

- not listening/expose to live music
- so much more focus on different aspects of sound not care about music listening enjoyment quality
- listening to colored sound instead of listening to a true reference audio system
- their mind calibrate with their colored home audio system in long term and lose the true reference point

Last edited:
When your mind calibration/reference change to a wrong state then you will lose the ability of right sound recognition.
I remember the Designer of a loudspeaker company said even if we bring a signer in showroom and ask him to sign (un-amplified live music) then some audiophiles will complain the sound is not transparent or it is dark.

Last edited:
what is the right method of audio judgment?

I will back and explain it soon

what is the right method of audio judgment?

I will back and explain it soon

Suspense music

If you give it away no suspense.

From Roger Ebert's review of Jaws "In keeping the Great White offscreen, Spielberg was employing a strategy used by Alfred Hitchcock throughout his career. 'A bomb is under the table, and it explodes: That is surprise,' said Hitchcock. 'The bomb is under the table but it does not explode: That is suspense.' Spielberg leaves the shark under the table for most of the movie."

You should leave the right method under the rack.

- so much more focus on different aspects of sound not care about music listening enjoyment quality
- listening to colored sound instead of listening to a true reference audio system
- their mind calibrate with their colored home audio system in long term and lose the true reference point
Let's assume:
- an audiophile does listen to live music from time to time
- understands that there is not a system that will fool anyone that it is a live performance
- enjoys music and that is his primary goal
- enjoys a "warm" sound that some might not think is 100% uncolored

What is the harm done?

Suspense music

If you give it away no suspense.

From Roger Ebert's review of Jaws "In keeping the Great White offscreen, Spielberg was employing a strategy used by Alfred Hitchcock throughout his career. 'A bomb is under the table, and it explodes: That is surprise,' said Hitchcock. 'The bomb is under the table but it does not explode: That is suspense.' Spielberg leaves the shark under the table for most of the movie."

You should leave the right method under the rack.
… and much like how in a shark attack knowing that it’s coming doesn’t really make you feel any better about it.

I think I understand where you're coming from but take a slightly different angle on the topic.

I see a continuum of perspectives running from someone largely interested in sound who uses music to explore sound. In a sense the true meaning of 'audiophile' -- from the greek: audio phile - love of sound. And running from the other end, there is the 'musicphile' who loves music in itself from all sources. I suspect many people here find themselves somewhere on the continuum. I perceive this forum primarily on the audiophile end of the spectrum expressed in terms of sound making equipment, though many enjoy music, but -- as the forum seems to self admit -- this is not a music forum.

Given that, it doesn't seem the best locution to say audiophiles have a 'wrong reaction to sound'. (Which is not the same as the audiophile saying of some sound "it sounds wrong" when making a comparison between the sounds in a concert hall to sounds in their listening room.) Saying 'wrong reaction to sound' seems to imply there is a 'right reaction to sound'. English words strung together but I don't know what that means.

I think you're trying to come to grips with the continuum and you see the leanings toward audiophilia -- sound for its own sake -- as a mistaken/improper/misguided or simply unfortunate position from yourself having a more music loving perspective. That's seems like a personal judgement -- which of course you're entitled to have. I suspect there are few pure audiophiles although there is a lot of gear lust here. Pure musicphiles are not here -- there are better forums for that. I see several focusing more on music the closer their stereos give them what they want. I like that goal.

Tima
I do not say all audiophiles have wrong reaction to sound, I believe david @ddk and some other experts are very different to most of other audiophiles.
There are short term reaction and long term reaction to sound.
Peter (owner of Audio Note UK) was translating a book about this subject but not finished it yet, that book maybe useful.

Russian audiologist A. Likhnitsky’s published a book “Sound Quality: New approach to testing of the home audio equipment”. (P&K, 1998)

Reactions: tima
High end audio means high performance sound reproduction and it is about maximum quality not minimum quality (coloration in sound).
The right method of audio evaluation in high end audio should show you which component has better performance and Peter has an article about it

I think method of “comparison by contrast” is the necessary condition for evaluating a component in first step.
The second step will be considering listening experience in long term.

I will back you soon

Pure musicphiles are not here -- there are better forums for that. I see several focusing more on music the closer their stereos give them what they want. I like that goal.
me too. starting down the audiophile path was nearly a sidetrack from enjoying music, which is where I started. It took a long time to come around full circle. It makes me think that once enjoyment has been achieved perhaps there isn't a driving need to see if my setup could "sound" even better. Another part of me likes to experiment and see what is achievable in the room I have. These two parts are in a conversation. :) I know, could lead to audiophile schizophrenia.

Reactions: tima
What Peter think is “a better audio device/system can reveal more contrast between records” or in the other words when you change a cable (for example) in a better audio system you will hear more contrast between cables.
More contrast means the system has less coloration (in subjective term not in objective measurements) and you receive more information.

Let me give you an example:

My friend has a big expensive 3way speaker (gryphon trident €80,000).
He also has a small 2way paper driver speaker (Living voice OBX-RW $12000).
He told me Gryphon trident is far better than Living voice in midrange and most audiophiles also believes the gryphon trident is far better than Living Voice.
I told him I think Living Voice has more natural midrange and the gryphon trident is awful in comparison.

I recommended him to use peter method (comparison by contrast) for comparison between Gryphon and Living Voice and we compared a CD album to a Vinyl (same album) with two loudspeakers.
Living Voice easily showed more contrast between CD and Vinyl and I told him as you see the Living Voice reveals more information in midrange.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing