Gryphon Mephisto Stereo

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I had CEC TL 0 and Burmester 969,very good and natural,could be Burmeister little better
I know very well and listen many times from distributor and i think is more dynamic and natural.
I tried at home and i am thinking to buy Kalista dream play one,cd player,is very dynamic,musical,natural and seems to listen vinyl because has nothing of artificial

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Thanks for the info, I'll let you know which transport I finish up with.
It might be wise to check which transport unit is used. I once had a dCS which Philips transport broke down. Tried to get it fixed and they told me it could not be done because they no longer had in in stock. It "cured" my "fascination" for the brand immediately.

magichifi

Aug 21, 2016
Sheffield
Gt a CEC TL2n for demo next week, the dealer (Definitive) reckon this new design to be as good as the TL03, so hoping for something special

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Anyone know the differences between first generation Mephisto and present Mephisto ?
Did they upgrade like they did on the Antileon Evo ?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Thieliste,

I do not believe Mephisto has been changed. In fact, it is quite rare for Gryphon to upgrade or change its models. For example, since the 1990s it has been Antileon, Antileon Signature and now Antileon Evo.

Phil O'Hanlon would be the right source of information.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
I did a shoot out of the Essence stereo against the Mephisto stereo at my dearler's.
They were both driven direct by EmmLabs DV2.
The gap is really huge between them, Essense is much closer to Diablo 300 sound and Mephisto stereo is a Formula One car in comparison.

Reactions: Vienna

Vienna

VIP/Donor
I did a shoot out of the Essence stereo against the Mephisto stereo at my dearler's.
The gap is really huge between them, Essense is much closer to Diablo 300 sound and Mephisto stereo is a Formula One car in comparison.
I totally agree with your opinion. I’ve got the same impression listening to the Essence

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
I totally agree with your opinion. I’ve got the same impression listening to the Essence

Hi Vienna, yes i cannot think of a better stereo amp today that gives meat on the bone, resolution, speed, sweetness and best bass control ever.
If someone knows a better stereo amp i'd like to hear it.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Would you gentlemen please explain the Formula One analogy?

What are the sonic differences between the Essence and the Mephisto?

Thank you.

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
Since the Mephisto is 2.5X the Essence amp's price (at least in the US), this is not too surprising. [A comparison between the Diablo 300 and an Essence combo (2.5X the Diablo's US price) would also be interesting, probably to a wider audience.]

Last edited:

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Quick question: is it OK to keep Mephisto in low bias setting overnight? The manual states that this setting is for “Use to keep circuitry in amplifier ready for listening without initial warm-up. If left in inactive in L bias for longer periods, use the mute function, too.” The amp definitely still needs some warm-up time, as it is just slightly warm in the low bias setting. But how long? Maybe someone has already experimented?

Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com
I leave my Gryphon Colosseum on and in low bias 24/7. When I know I am going to have a demo or listen for pleasure I put it in high bias. It takes about 30 minutes to get it moovin and groovin. My customer with a Mephisto does the same.

cmarin

VIP/Donor
Jul 16, 2011
Texas
I leave my Gryphon Colosseum on and in low bias 24/7. When I know I am going to have a demo or listen for pleasure I put it in high bias. It takes about 30 minutes to get it moovin and groovin. My customer with a Mephisto does the same.
Hi Scott,

Hope you are well.

Good to hear that you leave your Gryphon amps on low bias 24/7. Do you leave them muted or unmuted?

I’ve been tempted to leave my Mephisto monos on low bias 24/7, but the owner’s manual specifically states: “With the exception of Class A power amplifiers, we recommend leaving your Gryphon components powered up at all times.”

Not exactly a prohibition, but it would be good to get official clarification from the manufacturer that it’s ok to leave the Class A Mephistos on low bias 24/7

Thanks.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Wow...interesting. I have always played the Gryphon in High Bias and turned it OFF when not in use...that said, on weekends it is playing music 15 hours a day, and with lockdown (before Gryphon needed hopefully minor repair)...it was playing music 15 hours a day every day.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Wow...interesting. I have always played the Gryphon in High Bias and turned it OFF when not in use...that said, on weekends it is playing music 15 hours a day, and with lockdown (before Gryphon needed hopefully minor repair)...it was playing music 15 hours a day every day.
15 hours a day ? That poor amplifier needed a vacation, not repair.o_O

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
15 hours a day ? That poor amplifier needed a vacation, not repair.o_O
I dont ask the system to do anything I dont ask of myself. Thats not even an average work day for us!

Reactions: XV-1 and Lagonda

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I dont ask the system to do anything I dont ask of myself. Thats not even an average work day for us!
My Colloseum Monos would switch off after a couple of hours, presumably from over-heating.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Reactions: howiebrou

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing