Koetsu

I have always handled my cartridges with "kid gloves", even so it only takes a split second lapse of concentration to do considerable damage. Fortunately, I have managed to avoid any mishaps, until now, but time moves on, as do minds and eyesight. Mine are certainly more challenged than ever these days. :) Probably only a matter of time until I fall victim :( What a day that will be, especially if it should be a Koetsu :eek:

I have always handled my cartridges with "kid gloves", even so it only takes a split second lapse of concentration to do considerable damage. Fortunately, I have managed to avoid any mishaps, until now, but time moves on, as do minds and eyesight. Mine are certainly more challenged than ever these days. :) Probably only a matter of time until I fall victim :( What a day that will be, especially if it should be a Koetsu :eek:
Hopefully not.

Still working my way through the thread. There are many pics of gorgeous looking K's to drool over, but feel this is possibly the most outstanding pic I have come across, so far, and hence worth a special mention. Simply stunning! A piece of art, like many of the other photos too. Much more interesting than the Henry Ford, "any colour you like as long as it's Black!" that I have. :) I bet it sounds awesome too!

Just a quick update on my Blue Lace after 30 hours. I am comparing it with my 4 year old Urushi Tsugaru which I extensively am familiar by now. The Blue Lace is a reviewer's delight, as I kept telling myself. It improved in almost all parameters over the Urushi. Soundstage, locked in imaging, separation of instruments (this is a great improvement), very natural balance from top to bottom frequencies, transparency (laid back sound virtually detached from the plane of the speakers), bass quality ( to me this is the most dramatic improvement of all - I never imagined my Quads to produce this kind of low notes with superb definition and tightness) , and overall, the BL retains the musicality that Koetsu is known for. The airiness is simply remarkable, giving it a very refined quality, specially in the highs and mids. There is no harshness whatsoever, and it is faithful to the recording. Glare in, glare out. Quite an accurate piece of transducer. Friends ask me how it compares to the Urushi, I can only tell them, I cannot go back to the Urushi anymore after listening to the Blue Lace. :)

I like how it looks from the 'other side' - a little more contrast.

blu2.jpg

Thanks Jadis,
I am a happy Urushi owner but have been wondering what a stone body might add. This is a very helpful description of your experience of the differences - which has been hard to find!

Thanks Jadis,
I am a happy Urushi owner but have been wondering what a stone body might add. This is a very helpful description of your experience of the differences - which has been hard to find!
Anytime, Chop.

Just a quick update on my Blue Lace after 30 hours. I am comparing it with my 4 year old Urushi Tsugaru which I extensively am familiar by now. The Blue Lace is a reviewer's delight, as I kept telling myself. It improved in almost all parameters over the Urushi. Soundstage, locked in imaging, separation of instruments (this is a great improvement), very natural balance from top to bottom frequencies, transparency (laid back sound virtually detached from the plane of the speakers), bass quality ( to me this is the most dramatic improvement of all - I never imagined my Quads to produce this kind of low notes with superb definition and tightness) , and overall, the BL retains the musicality that Koetsu is known for. The airiness is simply remarkable, giving it a very refined quality, specially in the highs and mids. There is no harshness whatsoever, and it is faithful to the recording. Glare in, glare out. Quite an accurate piece of transducer. Friends ask me how it compares to the Urushi, I can only tell them, I cannot go back to the Urushi anymore after listening to the Blue Lace. :)
I told you, Jadis? :D !

This is exactly what I did experience with the BlueLace also. I’m thrilled to hear you enjoy your blue jewel. Thank you for the update.

Kindest Regards

/ Johan

I told you, Jadis? :D !

This is exactly what I did experience with the BlueLace also. I’m thrilled to hear you enjoy your blue jewel. Thank you for the update.

Kindest Regards

/ Johan

Johan,
You are very right!

• Haha
Reactions: Johan K and RickS
Has anyone here directly compared the Blue Lace to the Tiger-eye by chance? @shakti perhaps?
I have not directly compared Blue Lace and Tigereye. One of my cartridges is tigereye.

The general consensus among Koetsu users is Blue Lace has a softer more mellow sound. Tigereye is more neutral. It is actually to do with the hardness of the stone.

Reactions: jadis
That's interesting. I have heard the Blue Lace and concur that it does seem 'softer' in character. But, the Blue Lace is simply a blue coloured onyx and I have a Onyx Platinum Diamond and the use of the adjective 'soft' to describe it's character isn't at all accurate. It's quite forward sounding.

Last edited:
Reactions: dan31 and jadis
I
That's interesting. I have heard the Blue Lace and concur that it does seem 'softer' in character. But, the Blue Lace is a simply a blue coloured onyx and I have a Onyx Platinum Diamond and use of the adjective 'soft' to describe it's character isn't at all accurate. It's quite forward sounding.
Was the Blue Lace you heard also have a diamond cantilever?

Hi Jadis,

Hey.. I told you?:D… I am soo happy for you man, that you enjoy your BlueLace… One thing I did notice one day from another.. after about ca 45-55 hours of playing… that the amplitude from the cartridge suddenly got stronger.. like the volyme increased by it self…
Please report to me if you endevour the same. It would be very cool to hear if happens to you too. Enjoy your beautiful Blue Stone.

Kindest Regards

/ Jk

Hi Johan,

I'm now at about the 90th hour and I have not experienced any additional gain of amplitude. I'll make another update of what I'm hearing now. Cheers.

@jadis perhaps? I'll probably never know for certain.

I hear conflicting reports of the character of these carts. Above member makes mentions that the tiger eye sounds neutral. I spoke with a turntable manufacturer who mentioned that the tiger eye was 'warmer' sounding of the stone carts...

I'm heading to Japan in Oct. and plan to bring a Koetsu home with me. it's just a matter of settling on which.

Reactions: jadis
My Blue Lace now at around 90 hours. Guess it's fully broken in. I can't say that it has radically changed, but I felt that it is a little bit more airy than day 1, and mids have developed a bit more body. The Soundstage is awesome at this point, and imaging is truly incredible. Just finished listening to Columbia's Mallets Melody and Mayhem by Saul Goodman and it's top to bottom balance is phenomenal, with fantastic detailing to boot. The overall Soundstage is more laid back than forward, which is the way I like it. In terms of sonic benefits from upgrading, I feel this move from the Urushi Tsugaru is the most dramatic I've ever felt, in terms felt changing components in the chain. The move from the Magnepan 3.7i's to the new Quads is a very close second.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing