Lampizator announcement: launch of our all new TOTL HORIZON DAC

As you already know having heard it at Steve's place--you're in for a major treat, Will!

I'm excited for you.

Fred A.

P.S. can you remind me what that NOS tube was that we discovered in the bundle you brought over? I recall it being crazy good and crazy affordable in Steve's H.
It was a Brimar yellow label 12at7 iirc

Reactions: LampiNA
Fred
There were actually two: The Brimar 6060 yellow label, which I loved. The other was a Sylvania 12AU7 shiny black plate. Lukasz liked that one a little better with deeper bass, exceptional midrange, and crystal clear highs. I have others that are earmarked for the Horizon in a couple of months that I will report on in the tube rolling thread. None of my tubes are the mainstream that everyone talks about.

Reactions: LampiNA and ctydwn
Fred
There were actually two: The Brimar 6060 yellow label, which I loved. The other was a Sylvania 12AU7 shiny black plate. Lukasz liked that one a little better with deeper bass, exceptional midrange, and crystal clear highs. I have others that are earmarked for the Horizon in a couple of months that I will report on in the tube rolling thread. None of my tubes are the mainstream that everyone talks about.
Are these dual triodes? Is an adapter required?

Reactions: Willgolf
I reached out to Fred with this question (waiting to hear back) and have heard different observations in regards to BREAK IN time for the Horizon. My plan was to insert the stock tubes and play the snot out of it before bringing in the big, well regarded guns/TUBES. Is this a "sound" approach? Any input with this from Horizon users will be appreciated...John

I reached out to Fred with this question (waiting to hear back) and have heard different observations in regards to BREAK IN time for the Horizon. My plan was to insert the stock tubes and play the snot out of it before bringing in the big, well regarded guns/TUBES. Is this a "sound" approach? Any input with this from Horizon users will be appreciated...John

The Horizon sound will change for a couple hundred hours but after 50 or so the changes will be more subtle.

I took the stock tubes out after 40-50 hours.

The Horizon sound will change for a couple hundred hours but after 50 or so the changes will be more subtle.

Thanks David, this is what Greg indicated as well...John

Agreed. Thanks for all the suggestions and help in my tube exchanges (particularly David) to get so much out of my Horizon. Larry

Tube rolling in the Horizon feels a lot like that in traditional tube gear from ARC, CJ, and McIntosh in that one plays around with various choices for small signal NOS tubes.

Reactions: bonzo75
Reactions: christoph
JohnT
I plan on doing the same thing. I will play with the stock tubes for at least a month before I try some of my hand-picked tubes. Why rush it?

Are these dual triodes? Is an adapter required?
Yes an adapter is required. Default socket is 6sn7. Lukasz had an adapter on hand when we were at Steves.

Best,

Fred A.

The Eagle has landed! ;)

Had to break down and try the purple SR , so far I am happy with results but want give it a week and return to stock fuse .
Rau
It is just like a tube and takes 60- 80 hours to open up. I am really interested in your comments on the fuse.

Reactions: ctydwn

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing