Lampizator announcement: launch of our all new TOTL HORIZON DAC

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Yes, Xmas arrived first on Thursday when the Extreme dropped in; then Friday with the Horizon. :):p
Oh boy!
This afforded the opportunity to get a good listen to the Extreme with the Pacific. The Extreme is just breaking in but showing a good bit of what makes it special. I swapped out the Pacific with the Horizon in about 10 minutes of down time. It doesn’t take two seconds to grasp the substantive difference between the two dacs. More of everything. More dynamic, better enunciation, better definition, more there there. It’s like 1080p vs. 720p.

As Al said, I also perceive this to be more transparent than the Pacific, which is a bit warmer in comparison. But there is nothing edgy or inorganic about the Horizon. Just goodness.

Familiar recordings have more life and substance. Initially what stood out is the much more present and defined lower mid-bass. Patricia Barber has been a long time staple. Here it’s the double bass player which came into the spotlight. Now I can hear exactly what he is doing with his plucking and bending. Just loaded with nuance.

Thus far:
Tung-Sol KT170 as pentodes
Thompson CSF 5687 open plate as triodes
Tung-Sol VT 99 with Woo adapters as triodes
Psvane Blue Ball 6sn7 as triodes
EML 274b rectifier

Lots of playing around and break-in ahead…

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Also, direct to amp is best so far.

My short term (likely) amp is an SMC Ultra with gravity base. An inexpensive SS 100 watt stereo amp with 100k ohm input and mid twenty db gain. Lots of meat. No issues.

I picked up a Misho Myronov wooden pre to play with. Really like it. Simple. Charming. But it’s not competing with a direct connection so far. Or I’m just hearing the Shunyata Alpha v2 IC limitations (dac to pre) as compared to the Sigma v2 IC. (To amp).

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Yes, Xmas arrived first on Thursday when the Extreme dropped in; then Friday with the Horizon. :):p
Oh boy!
This afforded the opportunity to get a good listen to the Extreme with the Pacific. The Extreme is just breaking in but showing a good bit of what makes it special. I swapped out the Pacific with the Horizon in about 10 minutes of down time. It doesn’t take two seconds to grasp the substantive difference between the two dacs. More of everything. More dynamic, better enunciation, better definition, more there there. It’s like 1080p vs. 720p.

As Al said, I also perceive this to be more transparent than the Pacific, which is a bit warmer in comparison. But there is nothing edgy or inorganic about the Horizon. Just goodness.

Familiar recordings have more life and substance. Initially what stood out is the much more present and defined lower mid-bass. Patricia Barber has been a long time staple. Here it’s the double bass player which came into the spotlight. Now I can hear exactly what he is doing with his plucking and bending. Just loaded with nuance.

Thus far:
Tung-Sol KT170 as pentodes
Thompson CSF 5687 open plate as triodes
Tung-Sol VT 99 with Woo adapters as triodes
Psvane Blue Ball 6sn7 as triodes
EML 274b rectifier

Lots of playing around and break-in ahead…
Get rid of the EML and embrace another step into sonical bliss with the H-DAC

Reactions: Alrainbow

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Some on other dacs love the eml
but to me your spot on
let him enjoy as is for now he has a lifetime to make things different if needed. what I love to read is the leap in heaven so quickly
the H has the lowest output imp yet if lampi
its possible the old adage less is more can true
my present amp is a very low 100 ohm input so I doubt I’ll be lucky

Reactions: christoph

John T

Feb 15, 2022
I have the H ordered. As I peck these keys, with a glass of vino, listening to a DSD 64 on my DV2, Gryphon Mephisto/Pandora/Joseph Audio Pearl 20/20's. In my system the H hopefully will make me smile. Because what I am hearing now is fantastic. So we shall see, or hear! John

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Yes sir. The rectifier rolling session has begun.

First up - RK 5u4g (low mileage edition)

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
10 minute assessment.

RK is much tighter dynamically. Less fuzzy. Cleaner. Solid plate vs. mesh?
EML to the sell pile.

Next up 1944 Ken-Rad VT-244 (5u4g)

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Next 10 minute session.

The Ken-Rad is much softer than the RK, but pleasant in a way. Not a true athlete. Inoffensive. At its worst, a wet rag. File under “girl/guitar”.

Back to the RK

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Have to say that I am grateful for this forum/community. I did a search of “Pacific vs Horizon” and landed on an Aiudiogon thread…. A few pages of posts, all toxic vitriol, rudeness and completely unproductive ”discussions.” Made me feel happy I read WBF instead….

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Consider ShuGuang gz480 or for me the epiphany came with the addition of the Takatsuki 274B

Reactions: ctydwn and Golum

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019

mr.gregdee

Oct 3, 2016
E.Sussex ,UK
gpoint-audio.com
I just placed the order for the Horizon. The real Copper top is nice but the Normal Copper Top has a deeper Copper Hue/Color to it. I think it complements the Black more. Thank you to all the enablers for pushing the right buttons! Maniacs!! That's what we all are, Audiophile Maniacs!! John

Never say never John :) enjoy your purchase , you won't be disappointed

Reactions: John T

mr.gregdee

Oct 3, 2016
E.Sussex ,UK
gpoint-audio.com
Also, direct to amp is best so far.

My short term (likely) amp is an SMC Ultra with gravity base. An inexpensive SS 100 watt stereo amp with 100k ohm input and mid twenty db gain. Lots of meat. No issues.

I picked up a Misho Myronov wooden pre to play with. Really like it. Simple. Charming. But it’s not competing with a direct connection so far. Or I’m just hearing the Shunyata Alpha v2 IC limitations (dac to pre) as compared to the Sigma v2 IC. (To amp).

Great pre indeed. I had them in my place before too, plus Misho is a top bloke

Reactions: Tuckia

John T

Feb 15, 2022
I went from not having a clue what Triode/Pentode/Rectifier was. Now Takatsuki 274B, KT 170's, Vintage 6SN7WGTA 1961. I would strongly recommend for the administrators to add a Disclaimer: ENTER THIS SITE AT YOUR OWN RISK: Potential enablers are lurking throughout. Please take this into consideration before entering! We hold no responsibility for your actions! This is what its like with you guys, you start off in a Honda and before you know it your flying around in a Formula 1! John

Last edited:

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
I went from not having a clue what Triode/Pentode/Rectifier was. Now Takatsuki 274B, KT 170's, Vintage 6SN7WGTA 1961. I would strongly recommend for the administrators to add a Disclaimer: ENTER THIS SITE AT YOUR OWN RISK: Potential enablers are lurking throughout. Please take this into consideration before entering! We hold no responsibility for your actions! This is what its like with you guys, you start off in a Honda and before you know it your flying around in a Formula 1! John
Well, you've gotta admit it - - it's pretty fun cruising in the Formula 1!

• Love
Reactions: Golum and John T

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
Just watch Goran he's the worst , I use to have a savings now I got a IOU

• Haha
Reactions: John T and Golum

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Just watch Goran he's the worst , I use to have a savings now I got a IOU
What do you complain...all the tubes you got are now worth at least 20% more - I'm making you money with the right investment portfolio :p

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing