Magico M9 vs. Magico Ultimate 3 Horn- Box vs. Horn! Which will be better? In which ways?

I like all different types of speakers and even own magnapans but I always find my horn speakers provide me with more enjoyment than any other speakers.
I just looked...you own the Maggie 30.7 4-panel and you also have a separate system where you STACK Klipsch La Scala on top of a Klipschorn. Very cool!

I am curious about 2 things:
- when you stack, is each speaker running its original full range, or are you using one speaker for bass and the other for upper?
- how do the stacked horns compare with the 30.7?

I also saw you listen to the Focal Utopia Headphones...may come back to you with questions on that as well. Waiting for the TA Ultra headphone cable for our Sennheiser 800S...if it tames the treble we are DONE...but if not, then possibly looking further afield for headphone.

Reactions: Addicted to hifi
I just looked...you own the Maggie 30.7 4-panel and you also have a separate system where you STACK Klipsch La Scala on top of a Klipschorn. Very cool!

I am curious about 2 things:
- when you stack, is each speaker running its original full range, or are you using one speaker for bass and the other for upper?
- how do the stacked horns compare with the 30.7?

I also saw you listen to the Focal Utopia Headphones...may come back to you with questions on that as well. Waiting for the TA Ultra headphone cable for our Sennheiser 800S...if it tames the treble we are DONE...but if not, then possibly looking further afield for headphone.
I run the horns full range. Compared to the 30.7s it’s a very different sound.the horns are much more dynamic and in your face.it’s like being at a live concert.I play mostly pop and rock music thru the horns and the Maggie’s are for classical and acoustic audiophile music.

Thanks...very interesting. Somehow I intuitively 'get that'. Would really like to spend some more time getting to know the immediacy of horns and whether it can produce 'across the board' in various music genres. Deep house, rock band, jazz, a capella, piano solo, quartets and large scale orchestral/choral and soundtracks.

Reactions: Addicted to hifi
but my wife has to ring as soon as the month begins for bookings...the entire month sells out in less than 20 minutes
Yeah we keep trying this but lose out on that 20 mins.

Btw, London does not have good Indian places. However, if you two are interested, book the Biryani supper club at Darjeeling Express, Covent Garden. It is every Sunday. 195 for the couple, but gets sold out so you have to book a few weeks in advance. 1pm to 4, 7 course meal. It is fantastic and the best Biryani I have ever had, better than in India. Tip: they serve so much quantity, and allow you to take home, that you can book for 1 veg and 1 non-veg, as the quantity will ensure you can both try both.

Reactions: Argonaut
The reason is because subterranean all the way to 20hz is exceedingly important to me. Despite all the discontinuity between my bookshelf speakers and my subs (going back 25 years)...I preferred having the sub than NOT having the sub because I prioritized deep bass over perfect continuity but stopping at 60hz.

Not saying you cannot add subs below 100hz or below 40hz on horns. Just saying they are not horn loaded unless ultra big. So you can get the subterranean benefits

Yeah we keep trying this but lose out on that 20 mins.

Btw, London does not have good Indian places. However, if you two are interested, book the Biryani supper club at Darjeeling Express, Covent Garden. It is every Sunday. 195 for the couple, but gets sold out so you have to book a few weeks in advance. 1pm to 4, 7 course meal. It is fantastic and the best Biryani I have ever had, better than in India. Tip: they serve so much quantity, and allow you to take home, that you can book for 1 veg and 1 non-veg, as the quantity will ensure you can both try both.
Good to know! We have historically enjoyed Tamarind and then from time to time go to Benares where the founder was the head chef at Tamarind. We were invited to a private dinner where he brought his team, and it was remarkable to watch him at his art...and it was far better (much lighter and yet tastier) than anything we have had at either restaurant. Will look into the CG restaurant.

Not saying you cannot add subs below 100hz or below 40hz on horns. Just saying they are not horn loaded unless ultra big. So you can get the subterranean benefits
I will definitely remember this when we get back out there and can find horns...may have to go visit Living Voice.

Good to know! We have historically enjoyed Tamarind and then from time to time go to Benares where the founder was the head chef at Tamarind. We were invited to a private dinner where he brought his team, and it was remarkable to watch him at his art...and it was far better (much lighter and yet tastier) than anything we have had at either restaurant. Will look into the CG restaurant.

Nah those two are poor compared to this.

The other one is a Sri Lankan called Palm Beach at Alperton/Wembley. It is low fi and not posh but is super authentic, very similar to south Indian, and have the best crab curry (that is best had with their circular paratha) and a sri lankan speciality called lamb kothu roti (or the seafood version with anchovies). Hoppers in Soho and Bond Street is similar but a bit fusionised.

I listened today to large JBL horns on western electric tubes .
And Avantgarde Duo mezzo XD horns in the avantgarde room
The JBL s were just awful sounding the avantgardes also sound far from natural to me , i managed to stay long enough for 3 songs just to do KED a favour :).
Same feeling i had years ago nothing changed.
I ll go to munchen next year and that ll probably be the last show i go to
? Duos are among my four least liked speakers

Nah those two are poor compared to this.

The other one is a Sri Lankan called Palm Beach at Alperton/Wembley. It is low fi and not posh but is super authentic, very similar to south Indian, and have the best crab curry (that is best had with their circular paratha) and a sri lankan speciality called lamb kothu roti (or the seafood version with anchovies). Hoppers in Soho and Bond Street is similar but a bit fusionised.
Ah...we like Hoppers as there is one in Marylebone we have been to a few times. I think we find Tamarind and Benares 'softened' and refined to a fusion but dont mind that. Its like Vietnamese in San Francisco...many great places (Slanted Door) are not too authentic but still really great food as their own blend of various original recipes.

Ah...we like Hoppers as there is one in Marylebone we have been to a few times. I think we find Tamarind and Benares 'softened' and refined to a fusion but dont mind that. Its like Vietnamese in San Francisco...many great places (Slanted Door) are not too authentic but still really great food as their own blend of various original recipes.

Yeah Hoppers is good, and Palm beach is a much better version. With Hoppers, I also found that the head chef spends a week at each venue (might have changed now they have increased the number of branches), but it used to taste better when he was present at the venue and would be completely meh when he was not.

Good to know...given that we have not been in 2 years during lockdown and were going when they had first opened (maybe 6-7 times?) hopefully we got at least a few times in with the main chef. Saw Darjeeling Express website...looked good!

Well that seems quite obvious dont you think , basically everywhere you looked it said western electric.

Chinese ??? View attachment 83732

View attachment 83731
The other three, more obviously amps, amps are Melody, which is chinese. It was not easy to see a name on the top piece of gear from your photo...it looks more like a music server or something an amp. Tubes are just tubes...some love WE tubes and others find that they sound "soft".

Reactions: andromedaaudio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing