SOtM sNH-10G Network Switches x2 : The NEW KING of USB/Network Gadget Setup

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
I have 2 on order on their way to me. Will he interedtjng to compare to the planet tech sfp.
I will definietly post my impressions bro regarding both of them.

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
hi Abyss Man
were you able to get them new ?
I can get as many as you want here in Europe , but all are used.
They were new old stock. They were pulled out of some data company.

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
Is there any unease that these SFP modules can have such seemingly important, even make o[r] break, consequences? Particularly as some of the best seem to be no longer available? There's going to be an unending iteration of them going forward, meaning constant reevaluation... and suggests that the SFP is a weak link, even in these high end switches. Or is this all just part of the fun?

Last edited:

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Is there any unease that these SFP modules can have such seemingly important, even make o[r] break, consequences? Particularly as some of the best seem to be no longer available? There's going to be an unending iteration of them going forward, meaning constant reevaluation... and suggests that the SFP is a weak link, even in these high end switches. Or is this all just part of the fun?

I can't speak for others but no unease on my part. None of the SFPs -- Startech, Planet Tech -- have been bad by any means, and none of their weak areas relative to the new favorite came anywhere close to spoiling my enjoyment of the Extreme. Far from it -- I found and still find optical straight into the Extreme to be a significant improvement over the 50' of copper ethernet I first tried with the Extreme.

My feeling is the constant reevaluation of SFPs goes with the territory. Unlike the new generation of switches and FMCs purpose-built for audio, SFPs are very much a commercial data transmission product and audio quality is not a criteria for the designers and manufacturers. So I foresee a series of recommendable SFPs going forward as the community discovers them by trial and error.

I personally don't see this as any more of a weak link than trying to figure out what other networking products sound best. I liken it to tube rolling. It doesn't bother me that the current favorite is currently listed as obsolete and out of manufacture. I'd suspect that if, as some have hypothesized, low power consumption is an indicator of merit for audio applications, we might very well find new, low-power SFPs come to market in the future as power budgets fall due to green concerns and power efficiency.

My take on it, anyway.

Steve Z

ray-dude

Dec 8, 2019
To build on Steve's note, it seems we're on pretty solid footing with SFP rolling - the lower the power consumption (and as a bonus, the wider the temperature range), the better things seem to sound. Similarly, the more we can do to reduce the number of packets going across the fiber, the better. Given that there is a laser pulsing on an off (with the commiserate pulsing in the power consumption) all this seems to make sense.

With access to OEM data sheets, it would be interesting to do a sort on the "power consumption" column and see what pops up as the most "green"

All that being said, it may be very difficult for optical to ever approach the power budget of copper. There is a tension between the galvanic isolation benefit and the pulsing power detriment. The lower power SFP, the less of a tradeoff (and the Finisar has me pretty close to copper, but different, with my Extreme).

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
Hi Guys. Does anyone know if there is anywhere one can Buy these Finisars still? They seem to have vanished from the usual outlets.

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Hi Guys. Does anyone know if there is anywhere one can Buy these Finisars still? They seem to have vanished from the usual outlets.

No chance for new . I tried many times, all sold out.
where are you from ?
here in Europe they are available , but only used .
Around 15 E each,

Last edited:

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
Hi Guys,
Just got my FS SFP in today. TBH, my initial impressions were what's the fuss? It sounds a bit rough arnd the edges and I actually wanted to put the Planetech back in, but since it was CK's recommendation how could I? LOL. CK, what a recommendation man, it is really good and performs as earlier reported by you. Thank you for this CK it is so appreciated. U the man.

justubes

Aug 10, 2015
Got the Finisars based on CK's recommendations.:) Thanks again for sharing!

First impressions was more warmer, more body with clearer detail, but felt less balanced slightly overwhelming with the presentation of details as it the music come towards the listener over the Startech's presentation , in which one gets look's a little in to the music and staging.

It is good!

so eventually, after experementing, my preferred SFP's combination is using the Finisar in1st transmitting Sotm and the Startech at the 2nd receiving Sotm.

It is less detailed and upfront than using 2 Finisars and 2 Startech's are smooth, balanced and smooth, but seem to have less upfront details.

Yes, these 2 different SFP's do work together!

justubes

Aug 10, 2015
What i have also noticed is that using the 2 Finisar's at both end ia giving me a seemingly slightly lounder volume.

If this possibly is gain related, i can crank up the volume slightly more when 1 or both Startech's are used.

Maybe at this slightly higher volume or less gain also works to towards my preamps sweetspot.

I don't have a SPL meter to verify this, but based on listening impressions without trying to make any comparisions.

Wondering whether could the different vscel's output specifications be a factor, which could become another consideration in the selection of SFP modules.

Any tweak that i have emplyed before is to use my different cd surface treatments on the fibre ends, giving a clear improvement, much the same sonic character and improvements when applied to the cd's surface.

It is best to have 2 or 3 different cd enhancer's as the sound changes and reapply to suit one's preference.

As before, i still champion that small changes and tweaks make to the networking subset of the system exceedingly sensitive to every single change.

Darmstadtium

Dec 18, 2019
Ireland
got them Finisar modules earlier this week. I replaced my generic refurbished Cisco ones (image attached) with them
There’s a definite uptick to the sound quality. Mainly to the instrument separation and the widening and placement of the soundstage
for a mere 35€ investment (including shipping/customs from EBay USA to Ireland) this is the one of the best bang for buck investment I have made in my stereo so far
Thanks lads for the advice :)
Next step would be to replace my Cisco 2960 to a Sonore OM. but I am in no hurry :)
FC4B00B0-18A6-451D-9FE6-C0FD06A60B31.jpeg

Jambo

Apr 15, 2015
Australia
I also got the finisar modules a couple of weeks ago that CKK recommend, when i tried them in my pink faun server, they would not work. To cut a long story short, i found the problem was at the pink faun end, it did not like the module. So i used the planet module at the pink faun end and the finisar at the EtherRegen switch end. The sound was better than both Planet modules.
I wanted to see what two Finisar at both ends would do, so I investigated the Finisar catalogue, and since the finding seems to be low power and industrial temp design Are best sounding. I found one that is still in production. So i ordered two of them, they arrived today.

while I can’t comment on the new Finisar (Gen 3) compared to Finisar (original recommendation by CKK), since i could not connect the original at both ends, but when i connected both the Gen 3 Finisar modules at each end the sound seems better than what i had, and the fact they were compatible with the pink faun Server.

So everyone who missed out on the originals Finisar or want to give these a go, try these new Finisar Gen 3 modules. I include the link to the full spec to the modules, as you’ll see they use less than 600 miliwatt, and temp of -40C To 85c. So if some people want to experiment, give these a go.

https://optical.communications.ii-vi.com/optical-transceivers/ftlf1318p3btl

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
I also got the finisar modules a couple of weeks ago that CKK recommend, when i tried them in my pink faun server, they would not work. To cut a long story short, i found the problem was at the pink faun end, it did not like the module. So i used the planet module at the pink faun end and the finisar at the EtherRegen switch end. The sound was better than both Planet modules.
I wanted to see what two Finisar at both ends would do, so I investigated the Finisar catalogue, and since the finding seems to be low power and industrial temp design Are best sounding. I found one that is still in production. So i ordered two of them, they arrived today.

while I can’t comment on the new Finisar (Gen 3) compared to Finisar (original recommendation by CKK), since i could not connect the original at both ends, but when i connected both the Gen 3 Finisar modules at each end the sound seems better than what i had, and the fact they were compatible with the pink faun Server.

So everyone who missed out on the originals Finisar or want to give these a go, try these new Finisar Gen 3 modules. I include the link to the full spec to the modules, as you’ll see they use less than 600 miliwatt, and temp of -40C To 85c. So if some people want to experiment, give these a go.

https://optical.communications.ii-vi.com/optical-transceivers/ftlf1318p3btl

thank you this looks interesting.
is there a shorter than 10 km option with similar low power ?
I think something with shorter distance will use less optical power that effects with lower saturation of the reciever side . with lower saturation we get much more of the microdetails .

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Anyone have a source for the Finisar Transceivers? They seem to be out of stock everywhere.

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
Hi Guys,
I am late for the party but have been following the thread very closely. I am about to set up network switch and optical connection. Thinking about: ethernet >> sonore OM >> fiber >> SOTM >> antipodes CX/EX. I don't have router in my music room (have it upstairs in office) and have google wifi down in basement music room. Can I just start with connecting google wifi with ethernet to sonore OM, or should I get router down in basement. Appreciate inputs and any other suggestions.

Last edited:

chungjh

Oct 2, 2019
Has anyone tried SOTM>ER upstream of Lumin X1? I have tried ER only upstream of X1 and it works fine. I just don't know about the SOTM switch and which options may be best. Any thoughts?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing