Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
as I try to keep everyone in the loop who have expressed desire to attend a weekend open house at my home to showcase the new Olympus and I/O as well as a new Horizon which has the ability to play native XDMI. Im told that my Horizon will be completed tomorrow followed by 4 days of burn in. I was under the impression that all new Horizon DACs would have either USB via JL Audio adapter or XDMI with Lukasz solution to make this possible. As a result I was hoping to have both units here for purposes of comparing USB to native XDMI....well much to my pleasure I was informed that new units will have both USB and XDMI with the XDMI input to replace one of the i2s inputs on the rear of the unit. So for purposes of comparison this should be much easier. As to timing, my goal is to have Emile here with Lukasz and Fred so that all questions and concerns ca be addressed. Well as one of my professors used to say, "busy hands are happy hands" and such is the case with Taiko as their preorders were beyond their wildest expectations, such that Emile still cannot find a suitable time as yet . This plus Lukasz has a very busy schedule in the next 3 months. Having said this both have stated to me that they want to find time to make this happen. With the new Horizon soon to be on the way to SoCal and Emile beginning to ship in March I am hoping to finally find a date that is suitable for all. So far Fred and Lukasz have suggested end of April but the final decision will all depend on Emile's schedule. Stay tuned
End of April is one week prior to have to be in Munich, which starts on May 9 and set up starts on May 6ish. All hands on deck for Munich imho!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: VPN and oldmustang

Lukasz "Lampizator" Fikus

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jan 29, 2020
Hello, this is the latest weather report from the Taiko Olympus situation at Lampizator. We have 11 units of Horizon partly assembled and with the TAIKO XDMI link built in, and my Horizon guy just this morning ended in the hospital with a knee injury and I just lost a week. I am not sure if anybody will be free to substitute so we probably have to hold our breath for a week. Olympus link continues to impress me and I am listening to the early prototype right now - just to test the SPECIAL CABLE BY KBL Co.
KBL did not let me down and they prepared especially for my TAIKO LINK the umbilical cable that is so good that it raises some eyebrows - how a cable can make such difference. I fully endorsed this cable and KBL just started gathering materials to start rolling them in a more or less regular fashion. I must say I am impressed how their very sophisticated monocrystal copper beats my silver in teflon variant of that cable. As great as crude silver is, the monocrystal Cu is another story. The prices and specs of the cables will appear on Lampizator www tomorrow. At the same time - we have a blow back with our cheaper Poseidon DAC - the firmware controlling the DAC to accomodate the Taiko link has to undergo a deep rewrite and this lasts much longer than expected (as it does with the IT people) and I am told a minimum of 2 more weeks are needed - because EVERYTHING WORKS WONDERFULLY but I can't switch it by a remote. This is a bummer because we have tens of backlog orders for TAIKO equipped Poseidon.

seatrope

Mar 9, 2017
Hello, this is the latest weather report from the Taiko Olympus situation at Lampizator. We have 11 units of Horizon partly assembled and with the TAIKO XDMI link built in, and my Horizon guy just this morning ended in the hospital with a knee injury and I just lost a week. I am not sure if anybody will be free to substitute so we probably have to hold our breath for a week. Olympus link continues to impress me and I am listening to the early prototype right now - just to test the SPECIAL CABLE BY KBL Co.
KBL did not let me down and they prepared especially for my TAIKO LINK the umbilical cable that is so good that it raises some eyebrows - how a cable can make such difference. I fully endorsed this cable and KBL just started gathering materials to start rolling them in a more or less regular fashion. I must say I am impressed how their very sophisticated monocrystal copper beats my silver in teflon variant of that cable. As great as crude silver is, the monocrystal Cu is another story. The prices and specs of the cables will appear on Lampizator www tomorrow. At the same time - we have a blow back with our cheaper Poseidon DAC - the firmware controlling the DAC to accomodate the Taiko link has to undergo a deep rewrite and this lasts much longer than expected (as it does with the IT people) and I am told a minimum of 2 more weeks are needed - because EVERYTHING WORKS WONDERFULLY but I can't switch it by a remote. This is a bummer because we have tens of backlog orders for TAIKO equipped Poseidon.
Great news Lukasz and also sorry to hear about the setback with the guy in the hospital. I hope it’s not too serious!! Hope he recovers soon.

Reactions: iain

Stbo

Mar 18, 2020
Sweden
Sorry to hear about the injury.

When will it be possible to send back a Horizon for retro fitting the XDMI-Link?

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com

Would you believe we’re in the same boat with a guy in the hospital with a fractured collarbone? Let’s assume that’s it for headwinds.

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Would you believe we’re in the same boat with a guy in the hospital with a fractured collarbone? Let’s assume that’s it for headwinds.
You guys play rough in the high-end. Here's hoping for a fast and full recovery for all concerned!

Steve Z

Jan 29, 2020
Concerning the retro-fit upgrades of Horizon to Taiko Olympus link - we will do it gladly but AFTER the Olympus is produced and we can test it. While new units are produced blindly on the assumption that everything should work, there is a big cost involved in retrofit work shipping and handling and we can not risk the double travel. Taiko promised to send us one of their earliest Olympus builds but for the time being we use an identical "taiko simulator" with signal generator. It is my own good invention but IT IS NOT OLYMPUS, if you knoiw what I mean.
Summarizing: we have the technology, the parts, the cables, the firmware - everything needed for the Horizon new builds and retrofit jobs. We will start new builds when the guy returns on March 25th and we should get the Olympus for testing around march 30 and after one week when we are happy we will start accepting requests for retro fit.

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
Thank you Lukasz, and to your team (wishing speedy recoveries), for taking this project on so quickly and carefully (and in the middle of ski season to boot!). And of course to team Taiko. Cannot wait for the retrofit when ready.

Btw, would love to hear any further sonic impressions - original Horizon vs. retrofitted Horizon running the 'Taiko Simulator'....

Last edited:

Jan 29, 2020
"Btw, would love to hear any further sonic impressions - original Horizon vs. retrofitted Horizon running the 'Taiko Simulator'...."

The simulator uses Taiko signal transfer protocol but the music source is a normal computer and compared with the same material played the traditional way the sound from Horizon is for me 100% indistinguishable from Taiko link - this means the link works well, it is transparent, and the addition of the Olympus as a source will bring a leap in the sound quality that will show in the Horizon. The leap quite frankly will be dramatic.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
"Btw, would love to hear any further sonic impressions - original Horizon vs. retrofitted Horizon running the 'Taiko Simulator'...."

The simulator uses Taiko signal transfer protocol but the music source is a normal computer and compared with the same material played the traditional way the sound from Horizon is for me 100% indistinguishable from Taiko link - this means the link works well, it is transparent, and the addition of the Olympus as a source will bring a leap in the sound quality that will show in the Horizon. The leap quite frankly will be dramatic.
Not many things can make you feel like a child again waiting for Christmas. This is tantalizing!! Very cool...These updates are appreciated...

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
Additional pricing information from Lampizator website that Lukasz referred to above (exciting to see things taking further shape!):
IMG_0744.jpeg

Last edited:

simorag

Sep 14, 2017
Florence, Italy
Sadly my Extreme doesn't start anymore.

Does anybody know what fuse spec it uses?

simorag

Sep 14, 2017
Florence, Italy
So it turned out that I did not plug the new fuse deep enough.

@EuroDriver popped up at 10.20 PM over WhatsApp and helped this dumb guy out.

How cool is a customer support like that?

Just incredible. Thanks Ed and Taiko team as always ;-)

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing