Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Emile is there a rough time estimate for when the XDMI balanced XLR analogue output might be released?

There’s no estimate but we have allocated considerable resources to develop additional output options. We’re currently working on MSB Pro ISL and Stavros of Aries Cerat is visiting us in 2 weeks which will likely lead to some development effort.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Thank you for your kind words @ctydwn , I never had much luck in combining different brands pre / power amps for reasons beyond technical specifications. Possibly there’s some voicing synergy involved.

Besides cost another issue in your case might be the size of the Stern, it’s huge.. There’s the vertical oriented version in the same size chassis as the Heisenbergs as you probably know, but that doesn’t help much.

Something we’ve started exploring ourselves is a volume control option for XDMI, considering a lot of people (myself included) prefer using the Horizon at the maximum volume setting, this could be something which could work very well.

The Horizon has a very high output voltage, with the tubes I currently use it’s around 14dB higher then XDMI direct analogue out. The Poseidon is about 2 dB higher, so it requires much less attenuation then the Horizon when used as a preamp, maybe (without actually knowing) this is why it’s considered a “better preamp”.

If we manage to implement a good volume control option you could possibly use that and bypass your Horizon volume control. Perhaps this would indeed negate the “need” for a preamplifier.

Unfortunately there’s no timescale on this, it is however one of the items higher up on our priority list.
Fascinating how the tubes correlate with the rest of the system. Albeit tubes/solid state, pre/amps, and other factors. I'm also curious if XDMI may change preference? I've used the same tube combo that you mentioned, and it was way too much of everything. Brash/aggressive. So, satisfying when you do find the right combo...

Reactions: ctydwn and 2ndLiner

Armsan

Jan 28, 2016
Portugal
There’s no estimate but we have allocated considerable resources to develop additional output options. We’re currently working on MSB Pro ISL and Stavros of Aries Cerat is visiting us in 2 weeks which will likely lead to some development effort.
Thank you Emile. We, MSB DAC owners, needed to read that.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Fascinating how the tubes correlate with the rest of the system. Albeit tubes/solid state, pre/amps, and other factors. I'm also curious if XDMI may change preference? I've used the same tube combo that you mentioned, and it was way too much of everything. Brash/aggressive. So, satisfying when you do find the right combo...

You could probably tolerate a lot more of that with XDMI as it lacks the typical distortion associated with digital audio playback, manifesting itself as a harsh/stiff/unforgiving quality from around 4KHz and upwards. So yes I’d expect you would have no problems using tubes which project higher frequencies with more energy/drive, and enjoy the increased dynamics and impact in that range, which does bring you closer to a live sound experience.

ton77

Feb 12, 2023
There’s no estimate but we have allocated considerable resources to develop additional output options. We’re currently working on MSB Pro ISL and Stavros of Aries Cerat is visiting us in 2 weeks which will likely lead to some development effor
You working on totaldac sublime for native xdmi ?

nenon

Jan 29, 2020
Chicago
You working on totaldac sublime for native xdmi ?

Based on earlier discussion, I was under the impression that Totaldac will just use the XDMI AES/EBU digital output:
Yes but after a brief discussion it appears there’s little benefit to be gained over just using AES/EBU as the Totaldac uses that “internally” already.

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
Thank you for your kind words @ctydwn , I never had much luck in combining different brands pre / power amps for reasons beyond technical specifications. Possibly there’s some voicing synergy involved.

Besides cost another issue in your case might be the size of the Stern, it’s huge.. There’s the vertical oriented version in the same size chassis as the Heisenbergs as you probably know, but that doesn’t help much.

Something we’ve started exploring ourselves is a volume control option for XDMI, considering a lot of people (myself included) prefer using the Horizon at the maximum volume setting, this could be something which could work very well.

The Horizon has a very high output voltage, with the tubes I currently use it’s around 14dB higher then XDMI direct analogue out. The Poseidon is about 2 dB higher, so it requires much less attenuation then the Horizon when used as a preamp, maybe (without actually knowing) this is why it’s considered a “better preamp”.

If we manage to implement a good volume control option you could possibly use that and bypass your Horizon volume control. Perhaps this would indeed negate the “need” for a preamplifier.

Unfortunately there’s no timescale on this, it is however one of the items higher up on our priority list.
Thanks very much Emile for such a personalized response. It is so specific to my, and perhaps a few others', situation and incredibly helpful as decisions are being made. Don't think I can name any other company leader doing this in all of audio - tailoring responses so individually, to every question - on the forums at least, and I'm sure you don't have anything else more important to do. :D:oops:;)

That coupled with your post just above: " I’d expect you would have no problems using tubes which project higher frequencies with more energy/drive, and enjoy the increased dynamics and impact in that range, which does bring you closer to a live sound experience."... solidifies my path to stick with the enhanced XDMI Horizon (with the dynamic tube/higher gain combination I currently enjoy) coupled with the Olympus (with potentially a volume control at some point in the future, allowing volume 63 on the Horizon). For me, decision made and perfect path forward for my situation. Absolutely excited. Thanks again to you, your team and your partners in this (r)evolution.

Last edited:

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Setting up my new Taiko Router and having an issue connecting to the Taiko Audio wifi network. I get this error:

Can anyone help? I have restarted the Eero Max 7 satellite that the Router is connected to.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0156.jpeg
    IMG_0156.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 13

nenon

Jan 29, 2020
Chicago
Setting up my new Taiko Router and having an issue connecting to the Taiko Audio wifi network. I get this error:

Can anyone help? I have restarted the Eero Max 7 satellite that the Router is connected to.
Thanks

Did you try restarting the Taiko router too?

nenon

Jan 29, 2020
Chicago
Yes, I did.

Have you tried connecting from a laptop?

I can walk you through the process of changing the channels but you would need to connect to the router web configuration interface somehow.
There are two ways to connect to the router web configuration interface:
1. You can connect from a device that's connected to the Taiko Wifi - that may not be possible if you can't connect to the Taiko WiFi from other devices; or
2. You can connect a device to the Taiko router with an ethernet cable.

If you manage to do #1 or #2, open https://192.168.100.1 from your web browser and use the admin username and password listed on the bottom of the router (note - those are different than the WiFi password) to log in.

Navigate to Network --> Wireless --> and click Edit on the second entry that starts with "SSID: TaikoAudio | Mode: Master". You will see an option to change the channels there.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Have you tried connecting from a laptop?

I can walk you through the process of changing the channels but you would need to connect to the router web configuration interface somehow.
There are two ways to connect to the router web configuration interface:
1. You can connect from a device that's connected to the Taiko Wifi - that may not be possible if you can't connect to the Taiko WiFi from other devices; or
2. You can connect a device to the Taiko router with an ethernet cable.

If you manage to do #1 or #2, open https://192.168.100.1 from your web browser and use the admin username and password listed on the bottom of the router (note - those are different than the WiFi password) to log in.

Navigate to Network --> Wireless --> and click Edit on the second entry that starts with "SSID: TaikoAudio | Mode: Master". You will see an option to change the channels there.
Great, thank you! Will try later today.
I suppose I should scan the available networks and select a channel that’s not in use?

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Great, thank you! Will try later today.
I suppose I should scan the available networks and select a channel that’s not in use?
You should always pick channel
1, 6 or 11
Otherwise they will interfere with other networks.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
1, 6 or 11
Ok. I didn’t change the default. I’ll try connecting tonight.
So far, I noticed a reduction in background noise, which is great. Not sure how, as the Eero 7 is still on and broadcasting.

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
1, 6 or 11
doen't that depend on the setting of those other WIFI transmitters on those networks?
All of mine autoselect the best free band, which works pretty well even with networks from neighbours in range.

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
doen't that depend on the setting of those other WIFI transmitters on those networks?
All of mine autoselect the best free band, which works pretty well even with networks from neighbours in range.
Post nr 20,022 by Emile:

Choosing the right channel

You can use the Intel® Killer™ Control Center (If you are using an Intel Killer Wireless adapter) or any third-party Wi-Fi Analyzer to determine which channels are least used on each band (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) and change your Wi-Fi router’s settings accordingly. Here are some tips on which settings to choose:

• On the 2.4 GHz band,which is usually Wireless-N, always choose Channels 1, 11, or 6. Try to pick the emptiest of the three, using the Wi-Fi Analyzer as your guide. Channels other than 1, 11, or 6 will receive more interference. European users can also use Channels 12 and 13 on the 2.4 GHz band. You should treat these the same as Channel 11, as they will interfere with, and receive interference from, Channel 11. Keep in mind that:
    • Channel 1 will interfere with and receive interference from 2.4 GHz channels 1-5..
    • Channel 6 will interfere with and receive interference from 2.4 GHz channels 2-10.
    • Channel 11 will interfere with and receive interference from 2.4 GHz channels 7-11.
Using the information above, you can see why you should always choose channels 1, 11 (or 12/13), or 6. Doing otherwise invites interference from more than one other primary 2.4 GHz wireless channel.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
as I try to keep everyone in the loop who have expressed desire to attend a weekend open house at my home to showcase the new Olympus and I/O as well as a new Horizon which has the ability to play native XDMI. Im told that my Horizon will be completed tomorrow followed by 4 days of burn in. I was under the impression that all new Horizon DACs would have either USB via JL Audio adapter or XDMI with Lukasz solution to make this possible. As a result I was hoping to have both units here for purposes of comparing USB to native XDMI....well much to my pleasure I was informed that new units will have both USB and XDMI with the XDMI input to replace one of the i2s inputs on the rear of the unit. So for purposes of comparison this should be much easier. As to timing, my goal is to have Emile here with Lukasz and Fred so that all questions and concerns ca be addressed. Well as one of my professors used to say, "busy hands are happy hands" and such is the case with Taiko as their preorders were beyond their wildest expectations, such that Emile still cannot find a suitable time as yet . This plus Lukasz has a very busy schedule in the next 3 months. Having said this both have stated to me that they want to find time to make this happen. With the new Horizon soon to be on the way to SoCal and Emile beginning to ship in March I am hoping to finally find a date that is suitable for all. So far Fred and Lukasz have suggested end of April but the final decision will all depend on Emile's schedule. Stay tuned

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing