Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Esotar, what improvements do you notice with Beeswax Ultimate over SR Blue?

Not sure if you have tried the Power House Infinity Platinum fuse? Hard to source outside of Asia but perhaps @CKK is familiar with them? Seem to recall there was some positive vibe about a Brimar fuse a while back also.

Esotar

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
South Korea
www.digituslabs.kr
Esotar, what improvements do you notice with Beeswax Ultimate over SR Blue?

Not sure if you have tried the Power House Infinity Platinum fuse? Hard to source outside of Asia but perhaps @CKK is familiar with them? Seem to recall there was some positive vibe about a Brimar fuse a while back also.

You may not be satisfied with [Beeswax Ultimate].

Korean audiophiles love Vinyl Sound.

Of cause all WBF members would be same.

But we think we are OK that sound resolution is reduced for more Vinyl Sound.

[Beeswax Ultimate] is the fuse that makes more Vinyl Sound but resolution is less than SR Blue I think.

Of cause [Beeswax Ultimate] and [Blue]'s resolution difference is very small.

I don't know about Power House Infinity Platinum fuse.

I'm finding more better fuse than [Beeswax Ultimate].

Please share~!

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
I haven’t tried the Beeswax Ultimate but have evaluated the earlier Beeswax SHD model. It certainly had its merits however I ended up preferring the SR Blue.

Esotar

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
South Korea
www.digituslabs.kr
I haven’t tried the Beeswax Ultimate but have evaluated the earlier Beeswax SHD model. It certainly had its merits however I ended up preferring the SR Blue.

I'll send [Beeswax Ultimate] to Emile next week.

Emile also didn't test [Beeswax Ultimate].

He will post his opinion about [Beeswax Ultimate].

koalakoala

Aug 10, 2017
power house 3 platinum is 3 generations ago and long superseded by
power house 4 alpha
power house zero
power house zero ultimate
even brimar is superseded by brimar graphene

Reactions: Sablon Audio

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
SGM Extreme users~!

Which fuse do you use with Extreme???

I tested HI FI Tuning [Supreme], SR [Black] & [Blue], Audio Magic [Beeswax Super] & [Beeswax Ultimate]

My result is [Beeswax Ultimate] is the best fuse with Extreme.

But I think there is better fuse than [Beeswax Ultimate].

If you know better fuse than [Beeswax Ultimate], please introduce it~!

I use the Ultimate Beeswax. I have run into a problem with finding "better" items for my system. This is because my system(s) sound so good now with the Extreme that I don't really care about making the sound better it is so good now I am content with the way it is.

I do have the Plixir LPS coming for the Intona Isolator, but then I am done for now. Time to just enjoy the music for me.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I think I said that once...cue more Sablons, Stacores, Revopods, Oyaides/Furutechs etc.

And yes, SR fuses too.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I think I said that once...cue more Sablons, Stacores, Revopods, Oyaides/Furutechs etc.

And yes, SR fuses too.
I already have 20 other devices in my Room similar to the ones you mentioned.

For me I know what I am saying for you it might be different.

To me the conversation is meaningless unless you come to my place and listen and then I come to your place and listen.

Anything else is mental masturbation haha

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Marc,

I've been through 50 pairs of $20000 plus speakers in my Room since the seventies. That was before I started Rhapsody.audio 19 years ago.

That brought at least 50 additional pairs of speakers with equivalent electronics in the $20000 plus range and many in the $100K plus range.
After that 40+ years of experimentation this is the 1st time that I've said it's fine the way it is.

Again trust me for me I know what I'm saying, Nothing to do with anyone else.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Bob, my comment was meant to be gentle humour aimed at Esostar for saying that's it, he's done.

I've also said it online, only for people to remind me when I didn't stick to calling it a day.

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Marc,

I've been through 50 pairs of $20000 plus speakers in my Room since the seventies. That was before I started Rhapsody.audio 19 years ago.

That brought at least 50 additional pairs of speakers with equivalent electronics in the $20000 plus range and many in the 100 K plus range.
After that 40 years of experimentation this is the 1st time that I've said it's fine the way it is.

Again trust me for me I know what I'm saying, Nothing to do with anyone else.

I hope to get where you are one day.
I think the only missing thing is server. Extreme will probably be the best to get.
I had a top VYGER TT for few years and I miss this sound but I hope I can get close to this level with server one day.

Could you please share the setup list that made you to say „its fine the way it is?

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Bob, my comment was meant to be gentle humour aimed at Esostar for saying that's it, he's done.

I've also said it online, only for people to remind me when I didn't stick to calling it a day.
I understood, I was at the gym on the treadmill when I answered....I was all jazzed up:)

Btw, I've felt like this actually with vinyl and tape for quite a while, but this is the first time that I've felt like this with the digital set up, which is everything for me as I personally enjoy streaming as it has enriched my overall musical listening experience exponentially.....and it all has to do with the Extreme as the heart.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I hope to get where you are one day.
I think the only missing thing is server. Extreme will probably be the best to get.
I had a top VYGER TT for few years and I miss this sound but I hope I can get close to this level with server one day.

Could you please share the setup list that made you to say „its fine the way it is?
Hi Kris,

This is just speaking with regards to digital-

As long as I have the Extreme driving the system with Qobuz which seems to be the determining factor, getting it correct from the modem>>Extreme>>>connection to the dac is even more important than which DAC I use. I say this because I have tried a few DAC's including built in dacs that are in integrated amps. When I drive any of the DACs with the Extreme I get my mentioned satisfying results. Again, this is for me personally, not saying anyone else would even like it.

My go to system is the Startech FMC>>>FO input into Extreme>>>Intona Ultimate>>>Intona usb isolator (Plixir LPS on its way for the isolator)>>>>Intona Ultimate usb to Aqua Formula xHD>>>then into Pilium Alexander dual chassis pre>>>Pilium Achilles stereo amp>>>into either Diesis Roma Triode or Alsyvox Tintoretto. I can also change the speakers to either Magico M2's or Kaiser Kawero and I'm pretty much just as content with the sound.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i agree with Bob that with the Extreme in the mix with Qobuz that it just takes everything past the 'is it good enough?' mind set to just a musical enjoyment place. i'll add that if you have files and you load them on the internal PCIe drives there is even another clear step up to access......seamlessly.

on Tuesday night i had 10 music loving friends (including 2 that brought their wives) over from 6pm to midnight and had a fabulous time.

we listened to digital, vinyl and tape.........more vinyl than the others, but quite a bit of digital later when i passed the i-pad around, everyone found their obscure track, played their track and we moved into and out of the sweet spot. some from my files, some from Qobuz, some from Tidal. at no point was anyone mentioning anything lacking in the digital and the music just flowed. sure; the emotion and power of the music was strongest with the vinyl, but it was the music that mattered.

did having the MSB Select II get things closer to the vinyl? maybe......but i know from my recent efforts that the whole interface equation supporting the dac and server also was a big issue.

in past such sessions i'm not sure the group would have done the digital with the same enthusiasm.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hi Kris,

This is just speaking with regards to digital-

As long as I have the Extreme driving the system with Qobuz which seems to be the determining factor, getting it correct from the modem>>Extreme>>>connection to the dac is even more important than which DAC I use. I say this because I have tried a few DAC's including built in dacs that are in integrated amps. When I drive any of the DACs with the Extreme I get my mentioned satisfying results. Again, this is for me personally, not saying anyone else would even like it.

My go to system is the Startech FMC>>>FO input into Extreme>>>Intona Ultimate>>>Intona usb isolator (Plixir LPS on its way for the isolator)>>>>Intona Ultimate usb to Aqua Formula xHD>>>then into Pilium Alexander dual chassis pre>>>Pilium Achilles stereo amp>>>into either Diesis Roma Triode or Alsyvox Tintoretto. I can also change the speakers to either Magico M2's or Kaiser Kawero and I'm pretty much just as content with the sound.
Bob, would something like the soon to be released Uptone EtherRegen switch w fibre optic output module be an alternative to yr Startech FMC?

And w the Uptone dual USB cbls/Intona USB isolator, is there any need/advantage to run the V4 Gigafoil filter?

If yes to the latter, does one then need two Gigafoils since yr setup runs w two Intona USBs?

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Hi Kris,

This is just speaking with regards to digital-.......

Thank you,
This looks impresive.
Did you try the uptone usb adaper v intona ultimate v other hiend usb cables?
Is sounds you did try many usb connections before and this plays significant role in SQ you are getting.

I wish I knew you are in NYC. I was there many times.
Last time a month ago.
Maybe next time.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Bob, would something like the soon to be released Uptone EtherRegen switch w fibre optic output module be an alternative to yr Startech FMC?

And w the Uptone dual USB cbls/Intona USB isolator, is there any need/advantage to run the V4 Gigafoil filter?

If yes to the latter, does one then need two Gigafoils since yr setup runs w two Intona USBs?

I flip that question and ANY similar questions over to the digital extraordinaire Emile:) Emile are you there?

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Thank you,
This looks impresive.
Did you try the uptone usb adaper v intona ultimate v other hiend usb cables?
Is sounds you did try many usb connections before and this plays significant role in SQ you are getting.

I wish I knew you are in NYC. I was there many times.
Last time a month ago.
Maybe next time.

Kris, honestly I am following Emile's footsteps on all of this. I'm hitched to the Taiko wagon and grateful/appreciative that I am. I cherish the relationship.

Please let me know when you are in the concrete jungle again and come by for a visit.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

wil

Jul 22, 2015

If you have a switch like the Uptone or any switch that has the fiber out module, you just run straight from switch to the fiber input on the server.

I was told by John Swenson of Uptone that the fiber optic isolation in their switch should make the Gigafoil superfluous. But who knows? Maybe cleaning up the ethernet signal before the switch with the Gigafoil could have some positive effects? No doubt busy audiophiles will give it a try!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing