Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

I just checked it and it works for me in Chrome and MS Edge. Maybe it's blocked by a pop-up blocker on your end? Instead of the chat bubble, you can also click the Support link top right.
You are right! It was a popup blocker. Thanks for that!

Reactions: Christiaan Punter
It's been said that metadata can indeed have an influence on the sound quality but I have never investigated this personally. Honestly, I would not want to be without metadata, it's just too useful. Also, I'm sure that any influence will tie in closely with how the music data is processed. With the Extreme, there are some "magical" steps taken to rid music of "digititis" so I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that metadata has no influence with an Extreme.
i agree 100% that i would not want to be without any metadata.
my question was really regarding unneeded (for our purposes) metadata.
do i really need to keep the AccurateRipDiscID, AccurateRipResult as well as its count, countalloffsets, crc, discid, pid and total?
the Itunes_cddb_1 and itunes_cddb_tracknumber? the encoding tool? the ISRC?
grouping? UPC? etc

just in my misc folder of "test tracks for DAC", i see 72 different tags (not all on one track) for god knows what reasons.

Another option is to have the album cover as a folder.jpg file in the albums folder or to have the album cover embedded in each track. My music is a mix of both types.
so does a track with 6 basic tags sound better than one with 72 tags? i assume there must be some processing cost to deal with large numbers of essentially extraneous tags.

now i'm curious to see which tracks have the most individual tags............i obviously have too much time on my hands but on the other hand, i'm really curious about this.

Last edited:
Reactions: nuway and DW101
i agree 100% that i would not want to be without any metadata.
my question was really regarding unneeded (for our purposes) metadata.
do i really need to keep the AccurateRipDiscID, AccurateRipResult as well as its count, countalloffsets, crc, discid, pid and total?
the Itunes_cddb_1 and itunes_cddb_tracknumber? the encoding tool? the ISRC?
grouping? UPC? etc

just in my misc folder of "test tracks for DAC", i see 72 different tags (not all on one track) for god knows what reasons.

Another option is to have the album cover as a folder.jpg file in the albums folder or to have the album cover embedded in each track. My music is a mix of both types.
so does a track with 6 basic tags sound better than one with 72 tags? i assume there must be some processing cost to deal with large numbers of essentially extraneous tags.

now i'm curious to see which tracks have the most individual tags............i obviously have too much time on my hands but on the other hand, i'm really curious about this.
Oh, I see. Well, I'm not sure if the number of occupied metadata fields will make an appreciable difference. I'm sure you're fully versed in the matter, but for others reading this, there are tools that allow you to change the metadata any which way you like. I personally use jRiver Media Center for all my metadata grooming. Like you, I always embed the cover art, but I also keep a physical file in the folder labeled "Folder.jpg". That way, my music will always display correctly with any server or streamer. I imagine that of all the metadata fields, the embedded cover art might have the largest influence, that is if there is indeed an influence. But I consider embedded cover art to be essential. So I don't really want to know, either;-)

Incidentally, I would not advise running jRiver or any other 3rd party software directly on the Extreme, but rather on a networked PC that looks at the Extreme's Music share.

Last edited:
Oh, I see. Well, I'm not sure if the number of occupied metadata fields will make an appreciable difference. I'm sure you're fully versed in the matter, but for others reading this, there are tools that allow you to change the metadata any which way you like. I personally use jRiver Media Center for all my metadata grooming. Like you, I always embed the cover art, but I also keep a physical file in the folder labeled "Folder.jpg". That way, my music will always display correctly with any server or streamer. I imagine that of all the metadata fields, the embedded cover art might have the largest influence, that is if there is indeed an influence. But I consider embedded cover art to be essential. So I don't really want to know, either;-)

Incidentally, I would not advise running jRiver or any other 3rd party software directly on the Extreme, but rather on a networked PC that looks at the Extreme's Music share.
I for one find this all Extremely complicated to comprehend. Kudos to those of you who have the aptitude to do so. I sincerely mean that. As exciting as this all may be to some, I find it intimidating. And very few things do this to me, lack of understanding does. I certainly hope this all becomes more user friendly and less convoluted. All of us want to reap the benefits of improved sound quality but not at the expense of sanity...

Reactions: MagnusG and marty
I for one find this all Extremely complicated to comprehend. Kudos to those of you who have the aptitude to do so. I sincerely mean that. As exciting as this all may be to some, I find it intimidating. And very few things do this to me, lack of understanding does. I certainly hope this all becomes more user friendly and less convoluted. All of us want to reap the benefits of improved sound quality but not at the expense of sanity...
I completely share your concerns and my ability to keep up is undoubtedly behind you.
I am waiting for the Extreme to become a "settled/finished" product before purchase and am using a Antipodes K50 (very good unit) until that day comes when I'll jump on board for the 'best ?'.

Thinking about how metadata affects sound quality falls into the category of anal. And that is not a knock on those who do since I am probably in that category.

Here’s how you should view all this. The Taiko Team is taking care of all of us and they will let us know when there is something that you should be thinking about. Otherwise, if there is a topic that confuses you you should just stay away. For those of us that understand some of the details more and enjoy diving in, it can be fun. The others really shouldn’t worry about concern themselves. Often there isn’t a ton to be gained. Just enjoy the music.

I completely share your concerns and my ability to keep up is undoubtedly behind you.
I am waiting for the Extreme to become a "settled/finished" product before purchase and am using a Antipodes K50 (very good unit) until that day comes when I'll jump on board for the 'best ?'.
I have no regrets purchasing my Extreme. I love it! Its the delving into the XDMS part and my lack of understanding at this level of Computer Audio. If your set up properly Roon can be more than just acceptable. I don't have much of a choice, I play around with TAS too, but Roon just works for my listening habits. If I knew what the hell I was doing I would jump right in to the ALPHA stage. Not with my level of computer skills, or lack of...

Last edited:
Reactions: Taiko Audio
Thinking about how metadata affects sound quality falls into the category of anal. And that is not a knock on those who do since I am probably in that category.

Here’s how you should view all this. The Taiko Team is taking care of all of us and they will let us know when there is something that you should be thinking about. Otherwise, if there is a topic that confuses you you should just stay away. For those of us that understand some of the details more and enjoy diving in, it can be fun. The others really shouldn’t worry about concern themselves. Often there isn’t a ton to be gained. Just enjoy the music.
David I am enjoying the music. If you have an inquisitive mind one attempts to understand some of these threads. When you read the in depth knowledge and understanding that some of the members have it takes you aback a bit...

Reactions: dbeau
...I think @dminches ' comment is helpful: you don't have to get bogged down in a lot of technical jargon and conversations if you don't want to. Because...the Taiko folks are working on all that stuff behind the scenes.

In a way, it's a little like people who watch a movie and sit through *all* the credits until the lights come on. Unless you're in the biz, you probably didn't learn anything helpful to read Buddy Lee was 2nd AD on the jungle shoot. And there is no quiz forthcoming

Just enjoy the movie!

I don't presume to speak for Emile, but I thought a waaay back in the thread we were joking on the old Kodak marketing promo: Just push the button and we do the rest.

The forum here is just giving folks insight into a lot of back-and-forth, behind the scenes stuff. The movie credits. But it's possible to use TAS or Roon and just push the button.

When XDMS is finished it'll just be a sexier movie with better special effects. All the other chatter is just the movie makers talking to other makers and film aficionados.

...I think @dminches ' comment is helpful: you don't have to get bogged down in a lot of technical jargon and conversations if you don't want to. Because...the Taiko folks are working on all that stuff behind the scenes.

In a way, it's a little like people who watch a movie and sit through *all* the credits until the lights come on. Unless you're in the biz, you probably didn't learn anything helpful to read Buddy Lee was 2nd AD on the jungle shoot. And there is no quiz forthcoming

Just enjoy the movie!

I don't presume to speak for Emile, but I thought a waaay back in the thread we were joking on the old Kodak marketing promo: Just push the button and we do the rest.

The forum here is just giving folks insight into a lot of back-and-forth, behind the scenes stuff. The movie credits. But it's possible to use TAS or Roon and just push the button.

When XDMS is finished it'll just be a sexier movie with better special effects. All the other chatter is just the movie makers talking to other makers and film aficionados.
Well said the perfect metaphor...

...and metadata is just a techie term (well you have to call it something) for all the invisible info in our music files that help us find that file among all the other files.

If you had a photo and on the back you wrote: grammy and gramps at the hunting camp, 1947. The kid is cousin Billy from Idaho.

In a way, that's a kind of metadata. You don't need it to view the pic, but it *could* be useful info. Now, if you wrote about 20 other descriptive pieces of info about that photo, who took it, etc. that would be a lot of info. Maybe too much.

I think some of the above exchanges suggest Taiko is looking for a better/faster way to organize/read that hidden info that doesn't negatively impact our enjoyment of the sonic picture (SQ).

What we can do to edit that metadata/information is an adjacent discussion.

If we pasted that photo of grammy and gramps in a photobook among all the other images, we might make the decision to write underneath: grammy, gramps and cousin Billy, 1947. All the extra junk removed might make for more immediate enjoyment for some viewers.

Sorry for the mixed and stretched metaphors. And lastly, for a perspective, I'm not a software dev, but managed them for many years. I follow most of the exchanges well enough...but I am still waiting a bit more before I jump into XDMS...because I want to be closer to the "just push the button" experience and not get too bogged down in the QA nuts-and-bolts. All approaches can be fun!

...and metadata is just a techie term (well you have to call it something) for all the invisible info in our music files that help us find that file among all the other files.

If you had a photo and on the back you wrote: grammy and gramps at the hunting camp, 1947. The kid is cousin Billy from Idaho.

In a way, that's a kind of metadata. You don't need it to view the pic, but it *could* be useful info. Now, if you wrote about 20 other descriptive pieces of info about that photo, who took it, etc. that would be a lot of info. Maybe too much.

I think some of the above exchanges suggest Taiko is looking for a better/faster way to organize/read that hidden info that doesn't negatively impact our enjoyment of the sonic picture (SQ).

If we pasted that photo of grammy and gramps in a photobook among all the other images, we might make the decision to write underneath: grammy, gramps and cousin Billy, 1947. All the extra junk removed might make for more immediate enjoyment for some viewers.

Sorry for the mixed and stretched metaphors. And lastly, for a perspective, I'm not a software dev, but managed them for many years. I follow most of the exchanges well enough...but I am still waiting a bit more before I jump into XDMS...because I want to be closer to the "just push the button" experience and not get too bogged down in the QA nuts-and-bolts. All approaches can be fun!

Nice analogy. Following that path, the "extra" meta-tags are like having the photographer add the make, model and year of the camera, the lens type, f-stop and camera speed, the brand and type of film used, the ASA of the film, who developed the photos and on what day, the equipment used by the developer and the brand and type of paper used to print the photos, as well as the chemicals used to develop the negatives and the companies that sold the chemicals. Now to make things messier, some photographers call them "camera settings", some call them "settings" and some have separate meta-tags for each setting, some tag the "ASA" of the film, others call it "film speed" and some call it "speed". It is a mess.

Going through my "folk" music directory, I have about 22,000 tracks and they had 93 different meta-tags among them.

So finally some questions:
1. Is any of this audible? We don't know yet and if it is not, then ignoring the proliferation of meta-tags has no down side.
2. Should we move this discussion to just the alpha testers on discord or are non-alpha folks interested in these geeky investigations and ramblings?

As for anal behavior, let's remember that this is WBF and we all are, at least with regard to SQ.

My wife is a one button person with respect to morning coffee. For her I got us a programmable coffee bean grinder (6.5s at grind A2) and an espresso machine with a PID controller (1.5s pre-infusion, 24s draw time), each of which she now happily uses as each is just a single button to push. When the grind is fine tuned to perfectly match the draw time and flow of the espresso machine, XDMS will prove how good espresso can sound.

Last edited:
As for anal behavior, let's remember that this is WBF and we all are, at least with regard to SQ.

Just to clarify, I wasn’t passing judgement on the “anal” behavior since I have my own examples of that.

Reactions: cat6man and John T
Just to clarify, I wasn’t passing judgement on the “anal” behavior since I have my own examples of that.
Don't we all...

I love how this hobby can bring out the neurosis in us all. My only claim to fame on this thread, is I think I am the only one that has publicly admitted so far to having Emile visit me in a dream as I was frantically trying to get all the leaves out of my system that was set up in my frigid fall backyard where I grew up.

I love how this hobby can bring out the neurosis in us all. My only claim to fame on this thread, is I think I am the only one that has publicly admitted so far to having Emile visit me in a dream as I was frantically trying to get all the leaves out of my system that was set up in my frigid fall backyard where I grew up.
No way!! This is too funny!!!!!

Reactions: Christiaan Punter
Nice analogy. Following that path, the "extra" meta-tags are like having the photographer add the make, model and year of the camera, the lens type, f-stop and camera speed, the brand and type of film used, the ASA of the film, who developed the photos and on what day, the equipment used by the developer and the brand and type of paper used to print the photos, as well as the chemicals used to develop the negatives and the companies that sold the chemicals. Now to make things messier, some photographers call them "camera settings", some call them "settings" and some have separate meta-tags for each setting, some tag the "ASA" of the film, others call it "film speed" and some call it "speed". It is a mess.

Going through my "folk" music directory, I have about 22,000 tracks and they had 93 different meta-tags among them.

So finally some questions:
1. Is any of this audible? We don't know yet and if it is not, then ignoring the proliferation of meta-tags has no down side.
2. Should we move this discussion to just the alpha testers on discord or are non-alpha folks interested in these geeky investigations and ramblings?

My wife is a one button person with respect to morning coffee. For her I got us a programmable coffee bean grinder (6.5s at grind A2) and an espresso machine with a PID controller (1.5s pre-infusion, 24s draw time), each of which she now happily uses as each is just a single button to push. When the grind is fine tuned to perfectly match the draw time and flow of the espresso machine, XDMS will prove how good espresso can sound.
What espresso machine is this?!

• Haha
Reactions: nuway

John

If it's just music you want to enjoy, just find an album and queue it up and push play, That for me is worth the price of admission wrt XDMS. There are indeed a lot of really sharp and knowledgeable members savvy in all things computer. Watching all of the bugs disappear and the platform slowly but surely become more stable is a lot of fun but for me ultimately I only concern myself with the music I want to play

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing