Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

FreeNAS/TrueNAS with ZFS is what I use. RAIDZ3 allows you 3 drive failure with no data loss.

i'm going to be upgrading my NAS this year. any recommendations for a fast NAS with a 10Gb interface?

the main use is backup for music and video/tv

Last edited:
Reactions: oldmustang

This is a nice option if you're looking for a RAID6 solution (in my case SHR, which is a lot more flexible than RAID6). There is also a rackable version which is neater IMO.
I have two Thecus and one Western Digital. The Thecus are/were price/performance leaders when they were new(ish) but have an archaic Windows 3.1-style UI and I found their ease of use to be lacking. I much prefer the newer WD I bought used from a WBF member.

That said, my friends who are much more in tune with the IT world almost universally recommend Synology for their features and UI.

Steve Z

Question for the Taiko Team (and Horizon users and those more versed in audio tech implications)...

Curious, as XDMS progresses and additional advancements are integrated (e.g. network card, switch, router), would the SQ delta introduced by, say, a tube change in the Horizon DAC be expected to remain the same or incrementally decrease/increase? If less ‘noise’ perhaps a tube change in the future makes a greater difference.

Wondering as I roll through 10 different rectifiers tonight listening to the latest XDMS version, the differences are relatively subtle. I understand that the rectifier may have the smallest impact on SQ in the Horizon, and tube complements/synergies are paramount.

That said, generally speaking, are tubes expected to have similar delta impact on SQ as the Taiko ecosystem continues to develop? Also, perhaps more importantly, would you expect a preferred set of tubes pre switch/router would still be preferred post switch/router (is it prudent to sell off non preferred tubes in the meantime?)

Of course fully expect no binary answer here, but thanks in advance to all thoughts and apologies if these questions defy/do not follow simple science.

Last edited:
Question for the Taiko Team (and Horizon users and those more versed in audio tech implications)...

Curious, as XDMS progresses and additional advancements are integrated (e.g. network card, switch, router), would the SQ delta introduced by, say, a tube change in the Horizon DAC be expected to remain the same or incrementally decrease?

Wondering as I roll through 10 different rectifiers tonight listening to the latest XDMS version, the differences are relatively subtle. I understand that the rectifier may have the smallest impact on SQ in the Horizon, and tube complements/synergies are paramount.

That said, generally speaking, are tubes expected to have similar delta impact on SQ as the Taiko ecosystem continues to develop? Also, would you expect a preferred set of tubes pre switch/router would still be preferred post switch/router?

Thanks in advance to all thoughts and apologies if these questions defy science.
I would expect that tubes in the analog section of the Horizon (or any other DAC) would continue to have the same delta regardless of improvements in the upstream digital source network. Think of it like this -- if you change tubes in an analog component, such as an amp or preamp how would any changes in the digital domain decrease the tube(s) sonic effects? The only exception I can posit to this is if the tubes in question are providing a masking effect to lessen any deleterious effects of the digital circuitry.

But this is a thought experiment only on my part. I do know from my own experience that over the years as the digital parts of my system have improved my perceived need for things to "decrapify", isolate or filter the digital circuitry have been eliminated.

Interesting question.

Steve Z

Curious, as XDMS progresses and additional advancements are integrated (e.g. network card, switch, router), would the SQ delta introduced by, say, a tube change in the Horizon DAC be expected to remain the same or incrementally decrease? Then again, if less ‘noise’ perhaps a tube change in the future makes a greater difference.

That said, generally speaking, are tubes expected to have similar delta impact on SQ as the Taiko ecosystem continues to develop? Also, perhaps more importantly, would you expect a preferred set of tubes pre switch/router would still be preferred post switch/router?

Thanks in advance to all thoughts and apologies if these questions defy science.
One might consider that the improved SQ from Taiko XDMS / Switch / Router etc would make any other changes in the system more obvious and potentially “truthful” (in the sense of scale of change / colouration imparted or not)? If Team Taiko are stripping away noise / artifacts then other changes might be more discernible (for good, ill or indifferent).

Just a thought.

One might consider that the improved SQ from Taiko XDMS / Switch / Router etc would make any other changes in the system more obvious and potentially “truthful” (in the sense of scale of change / colouration imparted or not)? If Team Taiko are stripping away noise / artifacts then other changes might be more discernible (for good, ill or indifferent).

Just a thought.

This is much more than you expect.
In my system I did many hundreds of experiments over past 3 years with Extreme in place and to me Swich and Router are the gate to heven or hell holders.
What I mean by saying that is I was able to set things any way I wanted from unlistenable to top quality.
This is by far the biggest thing that limits system performance.

I was extreme happy Emile and his Team decided to ener this route and I am sure they did much better job than all of us Here.
Why am I so sure ?
Emile mentioned he undestood quite well how this works and what caused noise and other issues.
Undertanding is more than 90% of success , creation is probably less than 10% Once you know what you want.

Well, I've decided to join the club and have an Extreme on order!

While I wait, I'm trying to figure out what, if anything, to do with my Rockna Wavedream Signature XLR (that's a mouthful) DAC.

While I will be getting the Extreme USB card, Taiko can't optimize their driver for Rockna products and I will be using Rockna's driver with the Extreme.

So, my question to those of you who do have the driver optimized for your DAC, have you compared your OEM driver to the Taiko driver and, if so, can you describe how much improvement you hear? TIA.

Chris

Curious, as XDMS progresses and additional advancements are integrated (e.g. network card, switch, router), would the SQ delta introduced by, say, a tube change in the Horizon DAC be expected to remain the same or incrementally decrease/increase? If less ‘noise’ perhaps a tube change in the future makes a greater difference.

That said, generally speaking, are tubes expected to have similar delta impact on SQ as the Taiko ecosystem continues to develop? Also, perhaps more importantly, would you expect a preferred set of tubes pre switch/router would still be preferred post switch/router (is it prudent to sell off non preferred tubes in the meantime?)

Of course fully expect no binary answer here, but thanks in advance to all thoughts and apologies if these questions defy/do not follow simple science.

All current and upcoming improvements have (had) no effect on my preferred tubes for either Pacific or Horizon!

Reactions: 2ndLiner and ctydwn
All current and upcoming improvements have (had) no effect on my preferred tubes for either Pacific or Horizon!
My tubes have not changed either.

If we go to a large biergarten, I doubt we would have a problem finding enough space. Perhaps closer to the Munich High End we can organize a list and schedule something. Cheers.
I was kidding;)

Thank you Armsan and Swiss Tom

Thank you Armsan and Swiss Tom
Hey guys.

This got leaked prematurely and you are kind of spoiling our thunder of something new we are rolling out next month. No peeking please but if so, no spoiler alerts please

So now you took down the actual YouTube link???
WTF is going on here at WBF......not good

SwissTom deleted his own post. No one took it down.

So now you took down the actual YouTube link???
WTF is going on here at WBF......not good
Hey guys.

This got leaked prematurely and you are kind of spoiling our thunder of something new we are rolling out next month. No peeking please but if so, no spoiler alerts please
Hi Kingsrule

we are rolling out something new next month and we were hoping to reserve it until then. Nothing more

Thanks. What's the preferred/recommended storage--HDD, SSD, a combination?
As for the choice of server, the type of storage used depends greatly on usage.

If you are not in the context of several clients accessing the NAS simultaneously (e.g. for virtual machines, etc.) then this server may be a bit overkill and using SSDs is not a good idea.

In a home context where there is mostly read access, a less capable machine with HDDs and 1Gbit is fine.

But again it depends on the scenario.

You can find a lot of information on the Synology website. Moreover, their support is quite efficient and will allow you to choose the best NAS for your needs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Taiko Audio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing