Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
I thought SSD and PCIe is the same format, just the PCIe is a slot that you add an external card slot. There has been previous attempts by some to use this for music file storage, and also even place the system on it, but in the past is has proved too slow. maybe the latest versions are better?

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
This part I do not understand. If they do not have SSD, how is music stored internally?

I will split the answer into easy to understand and a more technical deep dive this time:

1) Short and Easy: SSD storage is a bottleneck, the Extreme stores music on PCIe storage removing this bottleneck. PCIe storage is atleast 4 times faster and lower latency then SSD storage resulting in much lower noise. Both are internal flash storage, but the interface is different.

2) More in depth:
A SSD is a SATA storage device, it is controlled by a SATA controller running of the motherboard chipset. The motherboard chipset typically handles all communication, storage, networking, USB etc. The motherboard chipset sends/receives data to the CPU over a bus called DMI, Direct Media Interface. The modern DMI still only has 25% of the bandwidth of a single PCIe slot. This is a well known bottleneck, just google "The DMI Bottleneck" if you want to know more. PCIe storage bypasses the motherboard chipset and directly connects to the CPU, relieving the motherboard chipset of having to time share USB, networking and storage read/write communication.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
I thought SSD and PCIe is the same format, just the PCIe is a slot that you add an external card slot. There has been previous attempts by some to use this for music file storage, and also even place the system on it, but in the past is has proved too slow. maybe the latest versions are better?

Ah yes thank you for asking as I neglected to add that that in my answer above:

To make matters worse, consumer grade CPU's have a very limited number of communication (PCI) lanes available. Therefor to provide multiple PCIe expansion slots these are usually just multiplexed on to the motherboard chipset increasing the bottleneck.

This is (one of the reasons) why we use large Xeon CPU's as these have a lot more PCI lanes. The PCIe expansion slots are directly connected to the CPU's and do in fact run at full speed. Today's Xeon CPU's also have integrated disk controllers and can drive 12 PCI storage drives directly at maximum speed (over 48 lanes) and extremely low latency. We also have 2 CPU's which doubles the amount of lanes and disk controllers, meaning we can access 24 drives at full speed simultaneously. All this greatly reduces processing active times on the motherboard, and with greatly think 1000s of times.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
With this Extreme PCIe implementation, is it as good as ramroot? There is a lot of buzz in CA loading everything into ram.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Bueno, mis habilidades informáticas están "oxidadas", no conocía este tipo de almacenamiento.
¿Cuál es la capacidad máxima de una de estas tarjetas PCI?

Saludos

Esotar

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
South Korea
www.digituslabs.kr

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Bueno, mis habilidades informáticas están "oxidadas", no conocía este tipo de almacenamiento.
¿Cuál es la capacidad máxima de una de estas tarjetas PCI?

Saludos

Google translate gives me this:

Well, my computer skills are "rusty", I did not know this type of storage.
What is the maximum capacity of one of these PCI cards?

We can fit 4 drives on each PCIe card. These drives are currently limited to 2TB each, so 8TB on each PCIe expansion card. 4TB should release this year meaning 16TB on each PCIe expansion card. There are much larger drives available in the industrial space but these are VERY expensive where the drives we use are actually cheaper then SSD's.

Reactions: CKKeung and Esotar

Esotar

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
South Korea
www.digituslabs.kr

We can fit 4 drives on each PCIe card. These drives are currently limited to 2TB each, so 8TB on each PCIe expansion card. 4TB should release this year meaning 16TB on each PCIe expansion card. There are much larger drives available in the industrial space but these are VERY expensive where the drives we use are actually cheaper then SSD's.

Emile~!!

Please set SGM~!!!

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain

Excuse me, I published in Spanish and this is a forum in English. Since I have to continually switch between the original page and the one translated by Google, sometimes this happens.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Emile

Using Samsung 970 EVO PCIe memory ?

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
So where we are with SGM extreme …
Picture of internal components was going to be posted but is sill not here.

Also can somone put it in perspective what isca difference between SGM 2015 v evo v extreme?
I am talikng abou the SQ difference. if SMG 2015 is 100% what are the evo and extreme in your opinion ?

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
So where we are with SGM extreme …
Picture of internal components was going to be posted but is sill not here.

Also can somone put it in perspective what isca difference between SGM 2015 v evo v extreme?
I am talikng abou the SQ difference. if SMG 2015 is 100% what are the evo and extreme in your opinion ?

Welcome to the forum Kris.

We are having detailed studio pictures taken which will be put online once available.

The EVO upgrade to the SGM2015 significantly improves density, texture, midrange colour rendering, increases bass heft+definition and creates a more expansive/enveloping soundstage.

The Extreme is more of an evolutionary step up which is noticable in increased levels of clarity, transparancy, purity, air, imaging precision, significantly increased macro and micro detail and an even better sense of space and scale, it does a more convincing job of recreating the recording venue in your room sounding closer to reality.

Last edited:
Reactions: CKKeung

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Thank you for the kind answer.
I think everone is wating here to see the pictures.

I am asking by how much this car costs more then the other one
and very smart salesman tels me it is more than the other one.

I expect it is more of everything but by how much it is in your opinion ?
10% more than evo ?

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Thank you for the kind answer.
I think everone is wating here to see the pictures.

I am asking by how much this car costs more then the other one
and very smart salesman tels me it is more than the other one.

I expect it is more of everything but by how much it is in your opinion ?
10% more than evo ?

It is quite hard to expess this in percentages but we absolutely would not have bothered releasing it for a mere 10% increase in relative sound quality. I would already rate the EVO upgrade to the 2015 multiple times that delta. The Extreme is an entirely different story alltogether.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing