Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Just appeared on TestFlight. It is already updated.

Reactions: oldmustang

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Thanks Ed and Wilson.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Thanks to all of you for walking me off the ledge and the reassurance! Much appreciated! like everything a learning curve is involved. Just a little daunting when listening from afar. The more I read the faster I was consuming my wine! Thanks Again....John

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
I have to say I'm getting intimidated by all of this Jargon!! Invitation code, VNC, TestFlight, Beta Expired! It sounds like running TAS is a PITA?? My unit will be here end of May early June because I want the new Ethernet Card. This does not sound pleasant or easy to implement. Is this typical with TAS???
Not in the least, John. And, TAS will be a thing of the past once Taiko's new, very improved software music player is introduced (sometime in May).

TAS was a stopgap solution based on Logitech Media Server so Taiko could insulate their customers from the vagaries of Roon sound quality varying release to release. What Taiko learned from TAS they've taken and improved and rewritten the soon to be released XDMS and made it even better.

With any new piece of software there is always a little learning curve. Testflight is an app that allows developers to release apps and create a direct line to users for immediate feedback, trouble requests, etc. It's a good thing.

If you get stuck or don't understand something Taiko help is incredibly responsive (< 24 hours) and often a question here results in answers even quicker from other users. Feel free to reach out to me via PM if you need an explanation for anything or don't seem to be getting anywhere. But Emile, Ed and the Taiko team are incredibly responsive as is the user community.

Come in off the ledge, John! :cool:

Steve Z

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Not in the least, John. And, TAS will be a thing of the past once Taiko's new, very improved software music player is introduced (sometime in May).

TAS was a stopgap solution based on Logitech Media Server so Taiko could insulate their customers from the vagaries of Roon sound quality varying release to release. What Taiko learned

With any new piece of software there is always a little learning curve. Testflight is an app that allows developers to release apps and create a direct line to users for immediate feedback, trouble requests, etc. It's a good thing.

If you get stuck or don't understand something Taiko help is incredibly responsive (< 24 hours) and often a question here results in answers even quicker from other users. Feel free to reach out to me via PM if you need an explanation for anything or don't seem to be getting anywhere. But Emile, Ed and the Taiko team are incredibly responsive as is the user community.

Come in off the ledge, John! :cool:

Steve Z
Ah, the Taiko community strikes again! Well, the offer is still open if you get stuck.

Best of luck,

Steve Z

Reactions: John T

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Ah, the Taiko community strikes again! Well, the offer is still open if you get stuck.

Best of luck,

Steve Z
@John

FWIW this is the most popular thread on WBF. It has had over a million views and the Taiko community has grown enormously. Members from all over the world who are Extrene users will stop here daily. There is always something to learn and Emile and his team are always here to provide customer support that is second to none I was shocked how quickly Wilson got things working so quickly. It truly is set it and forget and I’m betting this will rank at or close to the top of all your audio gear.purchases

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Thank You Steve. I can understand why this is the most popular thread. I have spoken with Emile several times. His calm professional manner along with the accolades I have read here, has made it an easy direction/ decision. Those of us who have dabbled in this crazy audio world for a long time can really appreciate the likes of Emile and his team. Toss in nice folks here who are willing to share knowledge, hard to beat that. I have a much clearer understanding now of how things work, thanks to the generous explanations from you and several of the other members. Looking forward to this future chapter, now I need to just contain my excitement! All The Best...John

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Since the latest major update to the OS/Extreme I switched over to Roon. I even disabled TAS. Because of the comments from several users saying they were still preferring TAS, my curiosity got to me yesterday and re-loaded TAS.

For the last month since the OS update and using Roon I kept switching tracks seeing how different tracks sounded. NOW, using TAS AGAIN, I can't bear to change a track because the track I am listening to sounds SO AMAZING. I'm talking NIGHT AND DAY difference, not a slight difference.

I don't go into describing the sonic attributes (bass, soundstaging, dynamics, naturalness etc) as I feel that these attributes are all system/user dependent.

TAS (even though I love the Roon interface) and then XDMS is my path.....

Steve Williams

Since the latest major update to the OS/Extreme I switched over to Roon. I even disabled TAS. Because of the comments from several users saying they were still preferring TAS, my curiosity got to me yesterday and re-loaded TAS.

For the last month since the OS update and using Roon I kept switching tracks seeing how different tracks sounded. NOW, using TAS AGAIN, I can't bear to change a track because the track I am listening to sounds SO AMAZING. I'm talking NIGHT AND DAY difference, not a slight difference.

I don't go into describing the sonic attributes (bass, soundstaging, dynamics, naturalness etc) as I feel that these attributes are all system/user dependent.

TAS (even though I love the Roon interface) and then XDMS is my path.....
we sound like broken records don't we Bob. I relayed the same info a few weeks ago when after the new OS I stuck with Roon until one day I went back to TAS and will remain there until XDMS. And yes the Roon platform is a sexy thing that draws people in

Not doubt in my mind XDMS will be the new standard but I just prefer TAS over Roon

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
we sound like broken records don't we Bob. I relayed the same info a few weeks ago when after the new OS I stuck with Roon until one day I went back to TAS and will remain there until XDMS. And yes the Roon platform is a sexy thing that draws people in

Not doubt in my mind XDMS will be the new standard but I just prefer TAS over Roon
I'm shocked at the difference in my system(s).

Steve Williams

what Emile told me was that there was uptick in both TAS as well as Roon but many went back to Roon eagerly awaiting XDMS. Last week was the clincher for me. I have said right from the beginning of the inception of TAS that for me what is paramount is SQ and TAS has SQ far superior to what I hear on Roon

Reactions: RobertL

M27HF

Dec 11, 2019
what Emile told me was that there was uptick in both TAS as well as Roon but many went back to Roon eagerly awaiting XDMS. Last week was the clincher for me. I have said right from the beginning of the inception of TAS that for me what is paramount is SQ and TAS has SQ far superior to what I hear on Roon
I'm very glad to have revisited TAS after going to Roon right after receiving the terrific Taiko OS. IMHO TAS is more rythmic on every style of music I've played...Roon sounds polite in comparison. Knowing the attention to detail our Taiko team has I really look forward to XDMS...and their upcoming network card switch etc...

John T

Feb 15, 2022
I love this!! Passion is a gift!! Uncompromised dedication!! "The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom" William Blake

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Me as well. Like you two, I switched to Roon after the last Taiko OS updates and Taiko USB driver package roll outs, and honestly thought the gulf between TAS and Roon had narrowed. I was happy for some time listening exclusively to Roon, but then emotional connection to my music started getting harder and harder to come by, so after Steve W's post I switched back to TAS and was shocked by how much better it sounded than Roon.

I can only surmise the intervening Roon builds have once again deteriorated sound quality.

How smart is Emile to invest the time, effort and $$$ into developing a solution he can control to insulate his customers from the effects of Roon updates? But then, we all knew that!

Looking forward with great anticipation for the release of XDMS.

Steve Z

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
@John

FWIW this is the most popular thread on WBF. It has had over a million views and the Taiko community has grown enormously. Members from all over the world who are Extrene users will stop here daily. There is always something to learn and Emile and his team are always here to provide customer support that is second to none I was shocked how quickly Wilson got things working so quickly. It truly is set it and forget and I’m betting this will rank at or close to the top of all your audio gear.purchases
The most popular thread on WBF? Wow. A tremendous result, especially given that the thread is not that old.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Well, I'm going to put a medal on myself :) but this is what I wrote on February 15:

Post 9.500
I think I'm going to be the dissenting voice here. While I could accept that after the update Roon's sound (which has improved a lot) might be superior to TAS (which has improved a lot too), I find an emotional bond with music using TAS that I have never experienced on digital. Emile, I don't know what he has done with this update, but I would ask that whatever he has done, that allows me to enjoy it so much, don't get lost in the evolution to XDMS. Of course this is with my DAC and USB4, any other combination might be different.

Post 9.506

I have reread my post and I see that something is missing.

Where it says

“While I could accept that after the update Roon's sound (which has improved a lot) might be superior to TAS”

it should say

“While I could accept that after the update Roon's sound (which has improved a lot) might be superior to TAS, according to the usual audiophile parameters

MusicFellow

Jan 3, 2022
Well, I'm going to put a medal on myself :) but this is what I wrote on February 15:

Post 9.500
I think I'm going to be the dissenting voice here. While I could accept that after the update Roon's sound (which has improved a lot) might be superior to TAS (which has improved a lot too), I find an emotional bond with music using TAS that I have never experienced on digital. Emile, I don't know what he has done with this update, but I would ask that whatever he has done, that allows me to enjoy it so much, don't get lost in the evolution to XDMS. Of course this is with my DAC and USB4, any other combination might be different.

Post 9.506

I have reread my post and I see that something is missing.

Where it says

“While I could accept that after the update Roon's sound (which has improved a lot) might be superior to TAS”

it should say

“While I could accept that after the update Roon's sound (which has improved a lot) might be superior to TAS, according to the usual audiophile parameters
I remember your post back then because I was also wondering why everybody was raving about Roon and discarding TAS. Yeah, Roon was now noticeably better so one could argue to use it again, but I never got how it was now kicking butt to TAS. Even Emile chimed in because he knew what was going on code-wise and must have an eye roll or two that TAS was now all of a sudden the unwanted child.

Anyway, great to know that TAS is still up and running and an excellent basis for an even more sublime XDMS!! Thank you, dear Taiko Team. :)

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
I remember your post back then because I was also wondering why everybody was raving about Roon and discarding TAS. Yeah, Roon was now noticeably better so one could argue to use it again, but I never got how it was now kicking butt to TAS. Even Emile chimed in because he knew what was going on code-wise and must have an eye roll or two that TAS was now all of a sudden the unwanted child.

Anyway, great to know that TAS is still up and running and an excellent basis for an even more sublime XDMS!! Thank you, dear Taiko Team. :)
I went back to look because your and my memory of "everybody" is quite a bit different. There were a couple of guys who were on record then of going from TAS to Roon and declaring Roon much, much better than TAS. But most of the positive Roon comments were that Roon sound quality had improved with the Taiko enhancements enough to be listenable or better.

However the bulk of the comments from early February that could be ascribed to "everybody" were more about how much Taiko's OS settings and USB drivers improved overall sound quality, as well as comments about copper ethernet being better than fiber optic for most (though not all) users.

Steve Z

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing