The Uptone Audio EtherRegen audiophile switch

Pinu

Nov 30, 2019
Thanks, the Ultra filter requires a 13v input and it then outputs 12 v at 1.1amp so these setting should work

Pinu

Nov 30, 2019
My EtherREGEN has been in my system for the last one week, hearing a must bigger soundstage, tight base and improved resolution, loving it ... the sBooster Mark II 12-13 V LPS with a 12V Ultra have further improved the whole presentation, loving it.
sanjiv

Reactions: Superdad

paul79

Nov 2, 2014
OK, USA
www.manymoonsaudio.com
My EtherREGEN has been in my system for the last one week, hearing a must bigger soundstage, tight base and improved resolution, loving it ... the sBooster Mark II 12-13 V LPS with a 12V Ultra have further improved the whole presentation, loving it.
sanjiv
Great to hear about your results. Thank you for sharing. Have you tried with and without the Ultra adapter on the SBOOSTER?

Pinu

Nov 30, 2019
Hi, not yet, will do so over the coming reports over the next weeks and post

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
These devices represent great value for the money. Worked flawlessly right out of the box. Even with the standard power supply there’s an obvious improvement in the “immediacy“ and tactile sense of the presentation.

Thus far I’ve only heard it on my headphone rig (Roon Ethernet feeding Bricasti M3 into Decware Taboo feeding HE 1000 V2 and Focal Utopia in balanced mode). I’ll be ordering another for my two channel setup.

Reactions: Superdad

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
I just place an order and it looks like I'm in the February batch. Exceited to hear it.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
I enclose the post that I have published in Computer Audiophile, about EtherRGEN

“In the month of March (and when I was thinking of updating my AQVox to the SE version), it will be two years since Alex made the announcement that they were working on a new Switch designed entirely from zero, and based on the separation by means of a "pit" of the incoming RJ45 ports and the outgoing RJ45 port, in order to "totally" isolate the devices downstream from the EtherREGEN, from those that were upstream. I liked what I read and in an act of faith (like so many of us) I decided to wait, which in the end has been almost two years.
Unlike some installations that have been explained here, mine is really very simple:

Router with LPS Kenneth Lau.
AQ Cinnamon RJ45 cable
AQVox Switch (EtherREGEN) with LPS Kenneth Lau
Göbel RJ45 cable
Melco N1ZH60-2
Göbel USB cable
Kassandra Reference MKll

I have to say and this is important as you will see later, that all devices, except the Router (which is in the kitchen) are connected to a Shunyata Denali 6000T.
I also have to say that I have powered EtherREGEN with its SMPS, with LPS 1.2 from Uptone and with LPS from Kenneth Lau. And also that the only device Router that I have “upstream” of the ER, I have tested it with its Shunyata Alfa NR cable, with an Isotek Optimun cable and I have switched between the SR Blue fuse I had and the new SR Orange. All these changes in order to check if the objective of total isolation through the pit had been met.
My conclusions are as follows:
1.- If you have a normal Switch or an AQVox, changing it to an ER produces an increase in the SQ? The answer is a big YES, even if you use the Uptone SMPS and even better with a good LPS. Which shows that that pit or ADIM as Uptone calls it, is doing a great job.
2.- Does ADIM isolate “totally” both sides of the pit? My answer is a big NO. Absolutely all the changes made to the Router resulted in a change in the sound of the system. This can be positive because it indicates that there is still room for improvement for the future.
3.- Although my Kenneth Lau LPS has the floating output, and since I only have one entry occupied on the A side (the one that goes to the Router) in principle connecting the ground screw of the ER to the ground of the power grid I should not improve the system's SQ. As testing costs little, I took an Entreq Apollo Infinity cable that I had unused and connected the ER screw to a socket on the wall. Immediately the sound changed, not necessarily better, let's say different. Then I remembered that the Denali had a free socket and I connected the ground wire to it. "Clinck" is as if all the pieces of the puzzle suddenly fit into place. With this change, I was perplexed. How did the sound change? (I'm a lousy descriptor):
Clarity, organic sound and reduction (even more) of digital stress.
The violin masses of many orchestral recordings, which are my
authentic "bête noir" sounded natural now, or at least much more natural, than I had ever heard.
Why unify the earth of the ER plate to that of the rest of the system, produces this effect ?, I have no idea, but in my system it is evident.
Is it worth the ER? Absolutely and for $ 650 it seems the biggest "bargain" in history”

Reactions: CKKeung and asindc

asindc

Sep 27, 2012
I took an Entreq Apollo Infinity cable that I had unused and connected the ER screw to a socket on the wall. Immediately the sound changed, not necessarily better, let's say different. Then I remembered that the Denali had a free socket and I connected the ground wire to it. "Clinck" is as if all the pieces of the puzzle suddenly fit into place.

Could you post a picture of how the Apollo Infinity cable is connected to the Denali? I take it from your comment that you did not use the ground post on the Denali.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
EF5825BE-17B7-4F86-8239-721FEB6FD333.jpeg

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
03ED9C04-C6B4-4E70-8C1D-F32A03E10215.jpeg

Reactions: asindc

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
I remember reading Alex explaining that if the EtherREGEN ground screw was connected, it would be made to the ground of the power grid.

Superdad

Apr 22, 2015
Emile Bok of Taiko Audio just wrote a very nice comparative report:
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...-crème-de-la-crème.27433/page-135#post-625209

He mostly used the EtherREGEN in the B>A direction so that he could get fiber to his server. Most people will use it A>B, and will find that careful choice of copper Ethernet cable on the 'B'-side (connected to whatever is your computer/streamer/renderer endpoint) will yield even better results.

Very happy to see that in his super-system (value $250K+?), our humble yet sophisticated EtherREGEN came out ranked above a $3,400 pair of cascaded pair of large switches.

Our $640 device came out just below the approximately $6,800 set-up of the Telegartner MFP8 Gold II RJ45-M12 copper cable -> Telegartner GOLD M12 switch -> Telegartner MFP8 Gold II M12-RJ45 copper cable. That works for me! :cool:

Reactions: Saleh84

PLGA

Feb 7, 2020
Hello Guys,
I'm new here, but have been posting in another forums.

I've bougth the ER on december and it will be shipped at the end of this month to my home in Argentina.

As I live in a country where sending items is expensive for shipping and custom taxes, I'm thinking about using the same package of the ER to send one or two "audiophiles" Ethernet cables.

Today my bridge/streamer SOtM SMS-200 Ultra Neo is connected with a cheap CAT8 Ethernet cable to the WiFi Router and the future ER will go in between (I hope considerably improving the Ethernet signal) with another cheap CAT8 cable.

My questions are:

1- Under your direct experience, do Ethernet cables make a difference?

2- If so, wich one do you recommend below 200 dollars for 1.5/2.0 meters (about 5 to 7 feet)?

3- On the other hand, do you recommend changing both cables form "Router to ER" and from "ER to SMS" or just one of them?

The Supra CAT8 and the Wireworld Chroma are some options, but may be is a better to buy one more expensive, like the Wireworld Starlight, instead of two cheaper like the mentioned. If the ER is an Ethernet conditioner, how important is the cable that feeds it? Shouldnt be more important the cable after it?

"Please I would appreciate only answer from people who actually have done test with different cables". I dont want to open a technical debate whether Ethernet cables make or not a difference with people with no direct experience. For me, cables matter, all of them (digital, interconnects, power cords, etc).

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Emile Bok of Taiko Audio just wrote a very nice comparative report:
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...-crème-de-la-crème.27433/page-135#post-625209

He mostly used the EtherREGEN in the B>A direction so that he could get fiber to his server. Most people will use it A>B, and will find that careful choice of copper Ethernet cable on the 'B'-side (connected to whatever is your computer/streamer/renderer endpoint) will yield even better results.

Emile used the A-side of the ER:

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...-crème-de-la-crème.27433/page-136#post-625381

Matt

Antoine

Jun 17, 2013
The Netherlands
Dutch reviewer Hans Beekhuyzen has published his EtherREGEN review today.

Spoiler alert: he likes it and thinks it clearly bests the SoTM (standard version), AQvox SE and Silent Angel Bonn switches he also reviewed.

Direct link:

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
I haven't read the comments section on YouTube but I'm sure it'll involve a lot of angst spilling, temple vein popping, and vitriolic bile.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I haven't read the comments section on YouTube but I'm sure it'll involve a lot of angst spilling, temple vein popping, and vitriolic bile.
Just a normal day in Social Media Land.

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Yep... "la routine" as we say in France.

I tried this Uptone switch last weekend and I personally preferred it to the aqvox SE.
I found it less "coloring", it is more as a transparent catalyst, in fact, a facilitator of expression of qualities of my system.
Not something that makes your system sound different, it just plays easier with even more evidence.

I'm thinking of buying one... one day.
music is nothing and all.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing