The Uptone Audio EtherRegen audiophile switch

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
That's nice.
Just directly from your SK into the Pacific ethernet-in or via switch?

My ethernet arrangment looks like this:

Cable modem/router > TP Link Switch > TP Link Optical Ethernet Converter > Optical Cable > TP Link Optical Ethernet Converter > Ethernet Cable > Pacific.

I'm gonna replace the TP Link Optical Ethernet Converter on the receiving end with eR.

Switch and modem are powered by iFi iPower PSUs.
TP Link Optical Ethernet Converters are powered by two UpTone LPS1.2 PSUs fed from one UpTone JS-2 PSU.

Superdad

Apr 22, 2015
I'm gonna replace the TP Link Optical Ethernet Converter on the receiving end with eR.

Switch and modem are powered by iFi iPower PSUs.
TP Link Optical Ethernet Converters are powered by two UpTone LPS1.2 PSUs fed from one UpTone JS-2 PSU.

Wow, I forgot how many of our components you already have Adam. Boy you are in for a real treat when your EtherREGEN arrives.
Shipped today! :cool:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
You are cascading LPS's? :eek:

The UpTone Audio LPS1.2 is a supercapacitors based design (think of it as fast switching batteries), which requires a charger. LPS1.2 comes with its own SMPS charger, but I have found that replacing it with UpTone linear JS-2 PSU brings further improvement (most likely due to less noise injected back into the mains).

https://uptoneaudio.com/products/ultracap-lps-1-2

I highly recommend both of those PSUs (LPS1.2 and JS-2).

johndoe21ro

Oct 3, 2012
Europe
The UpTone Audio LPS1.2 is a supercapacitors based design (think of it as fast switching batteries), which requires a charger. LPS1.2 comes with its own SMPS charger, but I have found that replacing it with UpTone linear JS-2 PSU brings further improvement (most likely due to less noise injected back into the mains).

https://uptoneaudio.com/products/ultracap-lps-1-2

I highly recommend both of those PSUs (LPS1.2 and JS-2).

Me too! :)

Reactions: Superdad

eagle3333

Sep 22, 2018
Folks, I use my Melco N1Z to serve files via usb to my dac. So I will likely try out the ISO Regen between them. Has anyone tried the Curious Cables Evolved Regen link for Regen to dac connection?

I use an Ethernet connection between my switch and Melco only as a means by which to access and control the files via my Melco app on tablet. Given I’m not sending music files over Ethernet is there anything to be gained by dropping my Netgear switch for the Ether Regen in my configuration?

Thanks in advance.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Folks, I use my Melco N1Z to serve files via usb to my dac. So I will likely try out the ISO Regen between them. Has anyone tried the Curious Cables Evolved Regen link for Regen to dac connection?

For the price, it's tough to beat the USPCB. I preferred it even to the original Lush. I haven't tried the Curios link - my point was only to suggest that you not look past the USBPCB.

I use an Ethernet connection between my switch and Melco only as a means by which to access and control the files via my Melco app on tablet. Given I’m not sending music files over Ethernet is there anything to be gained by dropping my Netgear switch for the Ether Regen in my configuration?

I think so but this would be a good case to take advantage of their 30 day money back program.

eagle3333

Sep 22, 2018
For the price, it's tough to beat the USPCB. I preferred it even to the original Lush. I haven't tried the Curios link - my point was only to suggest that you not look past the USBPCB.

I think so but this would be a good case to take advantage of their 30 day money back program.

Thanks, Kenny. Perhaps I’ll just try a spare AQ usb cable against the USBPCB. If latter is obviously superior I’ll stick with it. I question because of Johnny Darko’s findings.
I’ll think on re: EtherRegen..

mribob

May 8, 2017
Agoura, CA
Just received notice of production/ shipping delays on switches promised for week of Aug 25. They are however providing better shipping by UPS, instead of less reliable, slower USPS...which helps ease the sting...looking forward

Superdad

Apr 22, 2015
Just received notice of production/ shipping delays on switches promised for week of Aug 25. They are however providing better shipping by UPS...

To be clear, the delay we announced was just for one week—to September 1st. And domestic orders might leave a couple of days sooner than that.
Also, the shipping upgrade we are giving to everyone is to 2-day FedEx service (we rarely us UPS). Thanks for waiting. Enjoy!
:)

mribob

May 8, 2017
Agoura, CA
Superdad;
Thanks for the prompt shipping of my new switch; it arrived on time, well packed. Instructions were clear, and it was easy to install. Right away, the sound stage improved and subtle sonic details, especially the low end were much better than with old switch. This is a no brainer purchase, and provides a nice improvement to my digital music-both streaming and on my NAS. I feel it has to do with the improved clocking and lower noise by isolation.
The switch does run a bit warm, surface temp is around 120 degrees F.
I am a believer....well done, well designed.

Bob

perfusionist

Nov 4, 2020
Hi Guys, I have an ether regen and optical rendu. Currently I am running my router into the B port of the etherregen and the Optical output from the A side goes to the Optical rendu.

I am considering getting a Paul Pang quad switch. The paul pang will not have a optical connection (SFP). Will either of these options work better than what I have now?

Option1: Router -> PaulPang quad switch -> Ether regen B side -> Ether regen A side SFP output.
Option2: Router -> PaulPang quad switch -> Separate SFP Module (I have to buy one, suggestions welcome) -> Optical rendu?

In option 2 I am completely eliminating the etherregen. Is that better ?

admin1959

THE FIXER (I build websites)
Mar 27, 2010
Interesting. Personally I would look at the latest SOtM switch with ext clock. I am not a lover of Paul Pang products. They may sound ok, but I question the build and reliability of them, past history etc. IMO the SOtM is a superbly build and well thought out product.

YMMV.

perfusionist

Nov 4, 2020
Interesting. Personally I would look at the latest SOtM switch with ext clock. I am not a lover of Paul Pang products. They may sound ok, but I question the build and reliability of them, past history etc. IMO the SOtM is a superbly build and well thought out product.

YMMV.

I was looking at the SoTM too, but they say the SoTM's SFP port is not as good as the ethernet ports. Is that true? If yes, would it be wise to use an external SFP ? Any brand recommendations?

richard_crl032

Sep 10, 2019
Singapore
Hi Alex/Superdad/Uptone/All,

I run wireless mesh node powered by zerozone 12v for ethernet to my Antipodes ex+cx stack via acoustic revive tripleC lan cables.

Will added ER between the node to Antipodes CX used as server improves the SQ for what it does and how so ?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Richard

slai

Dec 13, 2020
Singapore, Shanghai
Hi everyone, Merry Christmas!
I am new to this forum and is looking to upgrade my system by adding the Uptone etherRegen to my system. I have a chance to purchase a used 5 month old eR and was told it gets rather warm when it is in operation. May i check with you guys if this is normal? Thank you.

slai

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Yes, that is normal.

slai

Dec 13, 2020
Singapore, Shanghai
Hi all,
As this is the first time I am meddling with a network switch, would like to verify with everyone here if I am setting up the eR correctly. The reason am asking is that switching between before and after, I don’t hear any differences. Have I connected wrongly? Advices are appreciated. Thank you.

System before eR:
Wall Broadband -> Service Provider Router -> Apple Airport Extreme -> Apple Mac Mini (wifi on to allow control of Roon via ipad/mobile phone)-> LKS DA-002 DAC -> IFi iTube -> Int.Amp -> Speakers

System with eR:
Wall Broadband -> Service Provider Router -> eR (A in, B out) -> Apple MacMini -> LKS DA-002 DAC -> IFi iTube -> Int. Amp -> Speakers

s.lai

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing